Acne Treatments That Really Work According To Dermatologists
When it comes to finding the right acne treatments, there are a million products out thereand theyre not all created equal. From acne washes to creams and spot treatments, the options can be overwhelming, making it impossible to tell which is truly the best acne treatment for you.
Even more frustrating? The fact that were still dealing with acne at all. Seriously, we thought the breakouts would be over soon after AP Calculus. But adult acne is a thing, and its actually something that can affect people in their 20s and 30s, and even well past their 50s.
And if you thought blackheads and whiteheads were annoying, the deep painful pimples that often pop up in adult acne are much more aggravatingand harder to get rid of. We talked to dermatologists to find out which acne treatments are the most effective on all types of pimples. Keep reading to learn what causes acne in the first place, plus the best acne treatments and acne medications worth spending your hard-earned dollars on.
Ways To Get Rid Of Pimples Fast
Considering that pimples are the most common skin complaint in the United States, we shouldnt be surprised that they seem to pop up at the most inconvenient times: the day before that important job interview, right before a celebration youve been anticipating, or just in time for the family photo shoot. Weve all been there! But while pimples are more complex than once thought, we dont have to simply suffer through the red blotches until they go away by themselves. Here, well look at how to get rid of pimples fast. But first
Rule # 1: Never try to pop a pimple! I know, its so tempting. But the only thing we achieve by messing with pimples is to make them even redder and more painful. Even worse, when we aggressively pinch or squeeze a pimple, it can damage the skin around it. Not only does this aggravate the area, it can also leave long-lasting pitting or scarring. In just a minute, well consider some betterand time-testedways to quickly remedy that unsightly blemish. But first, we should learn more about what pimples are.
To effectively treat any skin condition, we have to understand what it is. So, lets look at some basic facts about pimples.
Now that we understand what pimples are and how they develop, lets take a look at the top 6 methods for getting rid of pimples as quickly as possible.
Acne Scar Treatment No: Radiofrequency With Microneedling Treatment
This powerful combination is designed to rebuild collagen and elastin using pulses of light energy from radio waves with microscopic needles that gentle puncture skin to help fill the indentation acne scars tend to leave behind.
The idea is to leave skin looking brighter and firmer with scars looking smaller and lighter in colour, whilst skin texture is left touchably smoother.
Unlike with IPL, this can work no matter what your skin tone and has minimal downtime, with redness only sticking around for an hour or two after.
Recommended Reading: How To Reduce Back Acne
Differin Daily Deep Cleanser
- Price: $
Garshick says this face wash works overtime to rid the pores of acne-causing bacteria. It contains benzoyl peroxide to treat existing breakouts and prevent new ones from forming.
Additionally, she explains this cleanser helps absorb excess oil while also providing moisture, preventing the skin from becoming irritated or unbearably dry.
Ice Your Acne To Bring The Swelling Down
If you really must do something about your pimple beyond washing your face and spot treating, ice or a cold compress can help reduce inflammation. Wrap an ice cube or the compress in a soft tissue or cloth and apply it to your zit for 20-30 seconds at a time, a few times a day. In case of an emergency , you can also see a dermatologist for a cortisone injection, which can help shrink the cyst down quickly in a day or two.
You May Like: Is Acne An Early Pregnancy Symptom
Honey Oat & Whole Milk Face Mask
Most over-the-counter acne treatments contain harsh ingredients that can do your skin more harm than good. Skip the chemicals and go with an all-natural treatment, like honey, instead.
Honey is a natural nourishing agent known for its ability to help skin retain moisture, which prevents your body from producing excess oil that can lead to acne.
Oats are beneficial for acne-prone skin too. They contain properties that will help keep your skin clear and healthy. Add to that the skin-tightening lactic acid in whole milk, and youve got a great recipe for all your acne-prevention needs.
Honey, Oat & Whole Milk Face Mask Ingredients
Honey, Oat & Whole Milk Face Mask Recipe
Can I Prevent Acne
There’s no sure way to prevent acne. But these tips might help reduce the number and severity of your breakouts:
- Washing your skin is the most important thing you can do. It helps remove excess surface oils and dead skin cells that can clog your pores. But washing too much can cause damage by making your skin too dry or irritating acne thats already there.
- Remember to wash after exercising because sweat can clog your pores and make your acne worse. If you work around greasy food or oil, if you’ve been sweating from heat or from working hard, wash your face and other acne-prone areas as soon as possible.
- If you use skin products, such as lotions or makeup, look for ones that are non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic, which means that they don’t clog pores.
- If you use hair spray or styling gel, try to keep them away from your face as much as possible. Many hair products contain oils that can make acne worse. Try to use water-based products.
- If you get acne on areas such as your chest or back, avoid wearing tight clothes, which can rub and cause irritation.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Acne Holes
Are There Any Home Remedies For Acne
- Cosmetics: Don’t be afraid to hide blemishes with flesh-tinted cover-ups or even foundation, as long as it is water-based . There are many quality products available.
- Facials: While not absolutely essential, steaming and “deep-cleaning” pores are useful, both alone and in addition to medical treatment, especially for people with “whiteheads” or “blackheads.”Having these pores unclogged by a professional also reduces the temptation to do it oneself.
- Pore strips: Pharmacies now carry, under a variety of brand names, strips which one applies to the nose, forehead, chin, etc., to “pull out” oil from pores. These are, in effect, a do-it-yourself facial. They are inexpensive, safe, and work reasonably well if used properly.
- Toothpaste: One popular home remedy is to put toothpaste on zits. There is no medical basis for this. The same applies to vinegar.
Apply Ice To The Pimple:
The first step in calming down an angry, painful pimple is to apply ice. Wrap some ice in a cloth and press it against the inflamed area for 3 to 4 minutes at a time. If the ice melts too quickly, throw a few cubes in a plastic sandwich bag before wrapping in cloth. Repeat several times throughout the day to soothe the skin and reduce swelling.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Dog Acne
What Is The Worst Type Of Face Mask For People With Acne
The worst masks for acne-prone skin are tight cloth masks made with polyester or other synthetic materials, which create hot, humid environments perfect for the proliferation of acne-causing bacteria staph aureus, and fungi.
A recent large study on 883 people has looked at the prevalence and skin reactions to the covid face masks. 40.3% wore cloth masks, 57.7% surgical masks, and the rest used surgical masks with cloth covering or N95 masks. 66.9% changed the mask every day, and 33% reported changing the mask only every 2-3 days. The researchers found some adverse skin reactions in 54% of the people wearing covid face masks. Maskne was noted in 39.9% of people that wore covid masks, followed by a red rash and itching . Rashes behind the ears were found in 6.7 percent. Wearing surgical masks showed a significantly higher risk of acne and other adverse skin reactions than a cloth mask. A duration of face mask-wearing of more than 4 hours per day and the reuse of single-use surgical face masks increased the risk of adverse skin reactions.
Based on these findings, the authors suggest that all people, except health workers, should look for cloth masks and avoid single-use surgical masks. Ear savers were reported to help with preventing friction behind the ears.
Data source: The Effects of the Face Mask on the Skin Underneath. Journal of Primary Care & Community Health Volume 11: 17
Still Cant Get Rid Of Acne
If the acne diet isnt quite doing the trick, treat yourself to the blemish-fighting power of the ESPADA blue light acne treatment. Clear breakouts quickly, eliminate acne-causing bacteria and give yourself the gift of beautiful, healthier-looking skin.
Namely, ESPADA features a blue LED light and T-Sonic pulsations to blast blemishes out of existence. And while blue LED light is powerful, it is also non-invasive and gentle and offers anti-inflammatory effects. It has even been shown to increase collagen which promotes new tissue growth and is therefore great for improving scarring and blemishes on the skin.
Every ESPADA is 100% waterproof, offers 100 uses from a single charge. Also, it is clinically proven that ESPADA treats and heals acne-prone skin helping you get rid of this unpleasant skin condition in a way thats simple, effective and fast.
Read Also: Does Tea Tree Help With Acne
Can Acne Cause Scars
Acne does sometimes result in scarring. It happens when the acne penetrates the skin and damages the deeper layers. Inflammation makes the acne pores swell and breakdown occurs in the wall of the pore. Scarring can, of course, be a source of anxiety, which is normal. But before it can be treated, your healthcare provider will determine what type of acne caused the scars.
There are several available treatment options. Chemical peels, dermabrasion, laser resurfacing, microneedling and surgery can all be used to treat acne scars.
Best Acne Face Washes
Given guidance from the skin care experts above, we rounded up their and others dermatologist-recommended selections. The majority of these products are available at your local drugstore, including CVS and Walgreens, but you can also find them at Walmart, Target and . Other acne face washes on this list are available at Nordstrom, , Ulta and Dermstore.
Don’t Miss: What Causes Baby Acne On Face
What Is An Acne Prone Skin
While most people have acne during their teenage years, some people are likely to get breakouts even in their adult life. Excessive production of sebum due to accelerated sebaceous gland activities and pronounced hormonal fluxes can make your skin prone to pimples.
Must Read: How To Treat Acne Safely?
Start With Otc Acne Treatments
But not all acne products are created equal. The most effective will contain the following active ingredients on the label.
Don’t worry too much about the brand name, or what form of treatment you’re usingfor example, whether the product is a cleanser, medicated pad, or lotion. Instead, choose a product that fits your budget and is easy for you to use.
Once you find a product that works for you, keep using it. If you stop, your acne will come back.
Also Check: How To Cure Acne Breakouts Fast
Avocado & Vitamin E Face Mask
Vitamin E is a powerful immune system booster when taken orally, which also makes it great for treating and preventing stubborn acne-prone skin. But the benefits dont end there. When Vitamin E oil is applied directly to your skin, over time, it can help reduce the appearance of stubborn acne scars.
This beneficial vitamin is naturally found in green, leafy vegetables and some nuts, like almonds. You can also purchase Vitamin E as an oil for topical application.
For even more acne-fighting benefits, mix a Vitamin E oil with avocado. When combined, these ingredients produce a powerful anti-acne due for a clearer complexion.
Avocado & Vitamin E Face Mask Ingredients
- Vitamin E oil
Avocado & Vitamin E Face Mask Recipe
Skin Types And Acne Care Routine
Oily, dry, combination, normal or sensitive your skincare routine must be appropriate for your skin type. What works well on dry skin may not be suitable for oily skin, especially if you have acne-prone skin. Here is how to alter your skincare routine for acne-prone skin based on your skin type
Must Read: How To Get Rid Of Blackheads?
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Oily Acne Prone Skin
How To Choose The Best Serum For Acne
Know your actives: There are many different active ingredients that, when formulated into a serum, could potentially aid in managing acne. But its important to know what they are and how they work before you buy:
- Retinol, a vitamin A derivative, isnt just an anti-ager. Because it increases skin cell turnover, Dr. Gohara says its also a tried and true acne treatment. But its powerful nature makes it potentially irritating. Recommended use is once a day , at night. Many times, acne patients prefer to try a retinol prescribed by their dermatologist first.
- Hydroxy acids are alpha hydroxy acids such as glycolic and lactic and beta hydroxy acids such as salicylic acid that exfoliate the skins top layer and unclog the pores, respectively. If overused, they can dry out the skin. Recommended use is typically once a day, at night.
- Niacinamide, a form of vitamin B3, is anti-inflammatory and will work on pustules, tenderness, and redness, says Ava Shamban, M.D., a board-certified dermatologist in California. It also helps balance the skins oil production. As a less irritating ingredient, it can be used morning and night.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps even skin tone and fade acne scarring. Recommended use is daily in the morning followed by sunscreen, per Dr. Gohara.
- Hyaluronic acid hydrates skin that is dried out or irritated by excessive treatment and can be used as needed.
Baking Soda & Coconut Oil Face Mask
Believe it or not, baking soda is one of the most versatile cleansing agents you can buy. You can use it to clean your counters, your dishes, your teeth, and even your skin. Who would have guessed?
Another surprising benefit of baking soda is that its a natural exfoliant that is especially effective for those with sensitive skin. It can also help keep your skins pH levels balanced, which is an important factor in the fight against acne.
Baking Soda & Coconut Oil Face Mask Ingredients
- Coconut oil
Baking Soda & Coconut Oil Face Mask Recipe
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars Hyperpigmentation
Treatments That Need A Prescription From Your Doctor
For more severe acne, or when other treatments havent worked, your doctor may recommend a medicine to apply that you apply to your skin. This could be together with or instead of the creams and lotions available from the pharmacy.
Your doctor may prescribe antibiotic creams to reduce the infection and inflammation in pimples or nodules, or retinoids to help remove the whiteheads and blackheads. Both of these can make your skin feel irritated or dry as a side effect. If severe skin irritation occurs, stop using these products and see your doctor.
If your acne does not improve after using these creams, your doctor may recommend oral medicines . These include:
- antibiotics such as doxycycline or minocycline to treat the bacteria
- anti-androgen medicines such as spironolactone or cyproterone, which blocks the hormone testosterone so less oil is produced in your pores
- contraceptive pills that contain oestrogen and progestogen to help control acne, and which are appropriate for some women
- oral isotretinoin which can help treat severe acne
Some natural products, such as tea tree oil, colloidal oatmeal, green tea extract, alpha hydroxy acid and azelaic acid, can also help acne. However, they can also irritate your skin or interfere with other medicines you might be taking. Discuss natural acne treatments with your doctor or pharmacist before using them.