What Causes Indented Acne Scars
The opposite of hypertrophic scars, atrophic scars are indented lesions that develop when too little collagen is produced following a breakout. There are different types of indented acne scars, and theyre typically classified by their appearance. Icepick scars, which account for around 60-70% of atrophic scars, are narrow but relatively deep.< sup> I< /sup> Rolling scars, by contrast, are wide and have rounded borders, while boxcar scars are shallow, with sharper edges.
The Best Acne Scar Treatment
Scars form because collagen fills in damaged skin areas in a column pattern that mimics the wound. The collagen binds the skin, but it also pulls the skin down and contracts it making it a different texture from surrounding skin.
In scar treatments, we break up the collagen. Then, as it re-grows, it comes back more randomly and the web of collagen produces smoother skin. If youre living with scars, we have two primary treatments for breaking up the collagen and rejuvenating your skin.
Reach For The Retinol
Regardless of the type or cause of the scar, treating the area with retinol or retinoid can help to even out your skin texture, says Jeremy Brauer, MD, clinical associate professor of dermatology at NYU. Over-the-counter topicals containing retinol will work, but consider asking your dermatologist for a prescription for a retinoidheres the difference between retinol vs. retinoids explained. Retinoids may help improve the appearance of scarring by stimulating collagen growth, says Dr. Brauer.
Read Also: Why Do I Have Butt Acne
Active Ingredients To Look For
- Salicylic Acid It is thought to be one of the best treatments for Acne Scars. It can cause dryness on the skin, so people with sensitive skin should go carefully and if it does cause irritation maybe use it as a spot treatment.
- Retinoids are another acne treatment with scar-smoothing benefits. In addition to speeding up your cell regeneration and improving your skins texture, retinoids can also help reduce discoloration and make scars less noticeable according to a recent review.However, they can also make your skin especially sensitive to the sun. Always wear sunscreen daily when using anything that contains retinoids.
- Lactic Acid helps improve the texture appearance and pigmentation of the skin. A natural lactic acid is apple cider vinegar.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids they are often found in Acne treatments as they help with remove dead skin and prevent clogged pores. Even better they make scars less noticeable.
How Do Acne Scars Differ From Post
Post-blemish marks are another type of skin concern that may develop after a breakout. Unlike acne scars, these spots arent raised or depressed, but flat. Theyre characterized by discoloration around the area of the original blemish and are caused by an overproduction of melanin, your skins natural pigment. They can affect anyone but are most common for those with darker skin tones. While theyre sometimes referred to as acne scars, post-blemish marks arent true scars but a type of skin discoloration . They typically fade on their own with time and affect the skin tone rather than its texture.
Don’t Miss: How To Stop Back And Shoulder Acne
Dermatologist Suggested Tips Remove Body Acne Scars
Along with the treatments, it is important to follow proper skincare for acne scars on the body so that they do not aggravate any further and heal quickly.
- Use a dermatologist-recommended cleanser and moisturizer to take care of the acne-affected skin.
- Do not pick at your pimples as this can worsen the condition.
- Use a sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 on all exposed areas of the body.
- Ask your dermatologist to recommend an ideal dosage of vitamin C supplements as it aids in the skin healing process.
- Drink plenty of water as hydration is necessary for the skin to heal and recover.
Acne scars on the body can be mild or severe. Either way, they can ruin the beauty of your skin and make you self-conscious. The available treatment options ensure that body acne scars are improved and eventually removed with a few treatment sessions. Pick the one that will work the best for you with the help of an experienced dermatologist.
Was this article helpful?
Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 8% Aha Gel
Paula’s Choice 8% AHA gel is well known in the skincare industry – and for good reason. It is an ideal exfoliant for those dealing with hyperpigmentation or skin texture concerns.
- How it use: This leave-on exfoliant will not treat scars but will work to keep acne from forming in the first place. Apply at night after cleansing your skin, and before moisturizing. Leave on, do NOT wash off.
- How AHA helps pitted acne scars: AHAs help pitted acne scars by exfoliating away dead skin cells and helping improve celluar turnover. In addition to helping acne scars, they also help prevent existing acne .
- What you can expect: The concentrated eight percent AHA formula uses glycolic acid to slough away dead layers of skin. Additional benefits include the minimization of fine lines and wrinkles and a brighter complexion.
- Ideal for: Those who do not have any existing acne or breakouts
Also Check: How Much Is Laser Treatment For Acne Scars
Microneedling For Acne Scars
There are devices available for home use, but microneedling is best and safest when carried out by a dermatologist or beautician to avoid the risk of further inflammation.Facial skin is treated with a dermaroller. A dermaroller is a device fitted with numerous fine needles no more than 0.5 mm in length. These needles pierce the top layer of the skin, which sends a signal that there has been an injury that needs to be repaired. Skin responds by releasing more Collagen, Elastin and Hyaluronic Acid and, in just a short time, skin can appear tighter, younger and fresher.
What Are The Best Treatments For Acne Scars
Luckily, there’s a bevy of gels, creams, and treatments that can bring blemish-induced discoloration down. Dr. Sarkar says that collagen-building ingredients will generally help acne scars, so she looks to retinoids, vitamin C, and alpha hydroxy acids when treating her patients.
“Retinoids, a vitamin A derivative, help to increase collagen, even out skin tone, and prevent future acne,” she explains. “Vitamin C is a brightening agent and an antioxidant, and it has been shown to build collagen as well. Glycolic, lactic, and mandelic acids help to resurface the skin to even out skin tone.”
Also Check: How To Hide Back Acne
What Causes Acne Scarring
The root of your acne scarring can be found in many places. For instance, some skin experts believe there is an especially important link between your genetics and your acne scar development. If you have sensitive skin or your skin is prone to scarring, then the chances are high that you have a genetic component that makes it easier for you to develop acne scars. Additionally, some types of acne scars, such as hyperpigmentation, may be more common for certain skin tones.
As to how acne scars are formed, you can trace the main cause to inflammation in the skin. When bacteria-causing acne starts to cause trouble, the skin around an oil gland found in the hair follicle becomes inflamed and may even break the wall of the pore. When this happens, your bodys immune system will try to heal the skin even when the pore is still broken and inflamed. This will eventually cause the new tissue to heal incorrectly and leave you with acne scarring.
Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% Bha Liquid Exfoliant
This product is ideal if you’re still suffering from acne and trying to get it under control. By controlling your acne, you lessen the chance of new scars from developing.
- How to use: This product can be used after cleansing and before moisturizing. Apply a dime size amount to a cotton ball and apply all over your skin. DO NOT wash off. Follow with your favorite moisturizer.
- How BHA helps pitted acne scars: Specially formulated for acne prone skin, this popular product unclogs pores in an effort to prevent acne from developing. By preventing acne, you also prevent pitted acne scars from developing.
- What you can expect: Although it will not directly reduce scarring, this leave-on exfoliant is a good preventative measure to take to keep acne at bay. Combined with the dermaroller and Vitamin C serum above, you’ve got yourself a solid plan to finally combating your pitted acne scars.
- Ideal for: Those with oily and acne prone skin.
Read Also: How Much Acne Treatment Cost
Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum
Vitamin C serum is a holy grail in the skincare industry. Vitamin C is potent antioxidant that helps reduce skin inflammation, hyper-pigmentation pigmentation, and promotes healthy collagen production.
- How to use: The powerful antioxidant properties of vitamin C make it a natural option for the treatment of deep scarring issues. Overtime, this potent product will help to improve the skin’s appearance and overall tone. Apply twice daily .
- How Vitamin C helps pitted acne scars: Vitamin C, especially combined with other antioxidants, will stimulate collagen to help lift up depressed acne scars .
- What you can expect: The formula boasts a unique combination of L-ascorbic acid, vitamin E, ferulic acid, hyaluronic acid, and konjac root. Together, the ingredients work to deliver protection from free radicals while helping the appearance of pitted acne scars. You should see improvement within 4-6 weeks .
Can You Prevent Acne Scarring
Treating acne scars is only one piece of the puzzle. In general, the best way to treat acne scarring is by preventing any scarring at all, and that means controlling your acne breakouts. The fewer breakouts you have, the less opportunity you will have to develop scarring. There are many treatments you can use to control your acne and prevent scarring, including routine washing, using acne-fighting topicals, and leaving active acne alone.
Most people who have had acne have tried every over-the-counter product under the sun, but even those products may not have been the right match for your skin type. Sometimes it can feel like those products even make your acne worse. The truth is that controlling your acne breakouts will take time since you will need to figure out the treatment plan that works best for your time, budget, and skin type. Some common acne treatments include:
Recommended Reading: How To Cure Pcos Acne
What To Do First
There are a few things you can do about your acne scars. First, your acne needs to be controlled. See a dermatologist if you haven’t already. Don’t waste time on over-the-counter products. If you have acne scars, get a prescription acne treatment right away. This will help minimize scarring overall.
If you’re already seeing a dermatologist, follow their directions exactly. Let them know if you have any concerns. Once your skin is fairly clear, you can decide how to treat your scars.
What Is The Treatment For Postinflammatory Pigmentation
Treatments for postinflammatory pigmentation include:
- Careful sun protection even though inflammatory acne lesions may improve, brown marks darken with sun exposure. Apply a broad-spectrum oil-free sunscreen and wear a broad-brimmed hat when outdoors
- Azelaic acidcream this reduces pigmentation as well as effectively treating mild to moderate acne
- Hydroquinone bleaching creams these inhibit the enzymetyrosinase that causes tanning
- Superficial chemical peels containing glycolic acid or Jessner solution.
Read Also: What Causes Different Types Of Acne
Can Acne Scars Be Removed
Scars from acne can seem like double punishment first you had to deal with the pimples, now you have marks as a reminder.
Acne lesions happen when the hair follicles on the skin become plugged with oil and dead skin cells. A plugged follicle is the perfect place for bacteria to grow and create the red bumps and pus-filled red bumps known as pimples.
Hypertrophic Scars And Keloids
Poonsak Pornnatwuttikul/Alamy Natallia Mikulich/Shutterstock
Some types of acne leave scars that appear as enlarged, raised growths of tissue. These acne scars are caused by too much scar tissue. Hypertrophic scars and keloids look similar, but the latter are more raised than the former.
More on Managing Acne
Read Also: What Type Of Acne Do I Have
How Does Acne Scarring Happen
The skin is the largest organ in the body and consists of three main parts. These are the epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis. Whenever the oil and sweat that comes through them causes acne and it produces inflammation, it has the potential to become a scar.
Scars form as the pore swells and the wall breaks down. Some scars created in this way may be small and heal quickly, or the contents can spill into surrounding areas making bigger scars.
There are two main forms of a scar. One is when the tissue gets lost through this process and an indentation forms on the skin. The opposite is when the body provides too much replacement skin, making a raised surface.
Laser Your Way To Smoothness
Jeremy B. Green, MD, FAAD, of SKIN Associates of South Florida, knows how to get rid of scars using lasers. Fractional lasers use tiny light beams to safely injure the skin with heat, stimulating your bodys own healing responses, and thus building collagen and elastin to heal scars from the inside out, he says. Thats one of the proven ways to treat even the most stubborn acne scars.
You May Like: What Helps Cystic Acne Swelling
Recommended Reading: Does Oral Acne Medication Work
How Can I Remove Acne Scars And Discoloration
Depending on the type and extent of scarring, there are various ways to remove or reduce acne scars. Fillers, for example, can help indented or atrophic acne scars. Laser treatment may reduce hyperpigmentation and flatten raised scars.
A dermatologist can help decide on a suitable option, depending on the persons skin type and the extent and type of scarring.
Things To Try When Acne Wont Clear
Having trouble getting your acne medication?
The AADA is advocating to find a solution to help patients get the isotretinoin they need. Patients can help us by sharing their stories.
The following tips from dermatologists can help you get started.
1. Give an acne treatment at least 4 weeks to work.Using a new acne product every few days may seem useful, but that approach can worsen acne. Acne treatment needs time to work. Using a different product every few days can also irritate your skin, causing new breakouts.
If a treatment works for you, you should notice some improvement in 4 to 6 weeks. It can take two to three months or longer to see clearing.
If you notice improvement, keep using the treatment. Even when you see clearing, you’ll want to keep using the acne treatment. This helps to prevent new breakouts.
When to see a dermatologist about acne?
Seeing a dermatologist can help prevent acne from worsening. You can benefit from seeing a dermatologist when acne:
Causes acne cysts and nodules
Hasnt cleared with treatment you can buy without a prescription
Makes you feel uncomfortable, and you want clearer skin
2. Attack the different causes of acne.If you dont see improvement after 4 to 6 weeks, add a second acne product to your treatment plan.
This approach can help attack the different causes of acne. Bacteria, clogged pores, oil, and inflammation can all cause acne.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Get Rid Of Red Acne Marks
Suggested Home Remedies For Acne Scars:
There are different grades of acne scars, including macular, mild, moderate, and severe.
- Macular : A scar that is red but flat
- Mild : It is mild and can simply be covered with facial hair or makeup.
- Moderate : It is moderate, easily visible from some distance and cannot be covered with facial hair or makeup.
- Severe : It is severe and is evident from a distance of more than 1.64 feet . It cannot be covered completely with makeup or facial hair.1
Get rid of acne scars withAcne Oc Moisturizer Lotion
Some of these home remedies might be helpful for macular and mild scars.
How To Prevent Acne Scars
The best prevention for acne scarring is to optimize acne treatment with a good skin-care routine, a healthy diet, and an appropriate treatment regimen, says Shah.
Since reducing skin inflammation can lessen scars, dont ignore an acne problem even if its mild.
You should treat acne with over-the-counter creams or facial washes containing active acne-fighting ingredients such as salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. If these dont work, see a board-certified dermatologist, the Mayo Clinic advises.
Regular use of a topical retinoid like tretinoin, adapalene, or tazarotene has been shown to both prevent and reduce the appearance of acne scars, and these are commonly prescribed by a dermatologist as part of an acne skin-care regimen, says Shah.
Prevention also involves being gentle with your skin and avoiding practices that could irritate your skin and exacerbate inflammation.
Dont pick at your acne, and avoid using any skin-care products that are abrasive, like scrubs and loofahs or washcloths, warns Shah. She also encourages daily sunscreen use to reduce hyperpigmentation and dark spots.
You May Like: What Tea Helps With Acne
Subcision For Pimple Scars
This procedure is also called a subcutaneous incision. Subcision involves using a surgical probe or needle to separate skin and pimple scar tissue. This treatment causes your skin to raise. It flattens depressed scars.â
The results of this treatment are almost immediate with slight bruising for 1 to 2 weeks. Follow-ups such as laser treatments can be used to relieve any leftover discoloration from scars.