Why Do I Have Acne On My Forehead
Acne on the whole, is caused by an excess of sebum, the waxy oil produced naturally by the skin. An excess level of sebum can be down to hormonal imbalances, stress and genetics.
Excess sebum can also be caused by lifestyle factors such as eating certain foods, not getting enough quality sleep and a high level of acids, toxins and metabolic waste within the body.
Mild Vs Severe Scarring
Treatments depend on how severe the scars are. In some cases, a doctor or dermatologist may suggest a chemical peel or microdermabrasion to help improve the appearance of scarred areas. These milder treatments can be done right in the office.
For serious scarring from previous bouts with acne, several types of treatment can help:
- Laser resurfacing. This procedure can be done in the doctorâs or dermatologistâs office. The laser removes the damaged top layer of skin and tightens the middle layer, leaving skin smoother. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. The doctor will try to lessen any pain by first numbing the skin with local anesthesia. It usually takes between 3 and 10 days for the skin to heal completely.
- Dermabrasion. This treatment uses a rotating wire brush or spinning diamond instrument to wear down the surface of the skin. As the skin heals, a new, smoother layer replaces the abraded skin. It may take a bit longer for skin to heal using dermabrasion usually between 10 days and 3 weeks.
- Fractional laser therapy. This type of treatment works at a deeper level than laser resurfacing or dermabrasion, Because fractional laser therapy doesnât wound the top layer of tissue, healing time is shorter. Someone who has had this type of treatment may just look a bit sunburned for a couple of days.
Injections For Acne Scars
Injections are used for a variety of cosmetic treatments. Steroid injections are the most common and are used for raised pimple scars.
Steroid injections soften and flatten swollen scars. Injection treatments often require multiple visits. More intensive treatment may be required if your scars donât respond to the injections.
Recommended Reading: What Birth Control Is Best For Acne And Weight Loss
Use The Right Face Cleanser
Buying a generic face wash wont necessarily improve your complexion. For a cleanser to be most effective, you have to pay attention to your skins needs and pick the ingredients accordingly. If your skin tends to be oily, choose products with salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, or glycolic acid. For sensitive skin, look for gentle cleansers with lactic acid or hydrating ingredients like glycerin, which arent as drying as those made for oilier types.
How To Remove Forehead Acne Bumps
Using a product that contains salicylic acid can help to reduce the bumps on your forehead caused by acne.
Salicylic acid is found in many different types of skincare and effectively removes the top layer of skin helping to clear blocked pores and improve the appearance of the skin.
Using salicylic acid to treat acne on the face helps lots of people suffering with non-conformist skin and it can help to reduce the appearance of spots and bumps on the forehead.
Also, switching to a powder foundation, rather than a liquid foundation if you use one, can also help as itll be less likely to clog the pores.
Recommended Reading: When Does Adult Acne Stop
Which Face Pack Is Best For Acne
Here are 8 face packs for pimples we think you should try!
- Turmeric And Honey Face Pack.
- Tea Tree-Oil Enriched Clay Pack.
- Aloe Vera Face Pack.
- Turmeric And Neem Face Pack.
- Tea Tree Oil Face And Egg White Pack.
- Gram Flour, Honey And Yogurt Face Pack.
- Garlic And Honey Face Pack.
- Activated Charcoal Face Mask.
Hair Products And Accessories
An oily scalp leads to oily hair which may lead to an oil forehead.
The oily hair rests on your skin and transfers the oil to your forehead, which leads to breakouts.
Keep your hair off your face.
As with the hair products, make sure you select oil-free hair care products, such as shampoos, conditioners, and leave-in products so that you do not worsen your acne lesions or create more pore blockage.
Alse be sure to check if there are any harmful chemicals in those products.
Even natural hair repair remedies such as coconut oil could drop down to your forehead and create forehead pimples.
Make sure your hair accessories, like headbands, baseball caps, and hats are clean because friction from these accessories can transfer dirt, bacteria and oil to your forehead skin.
Dandruff, or seborrhea, is caused in part by excess oil, which leads to clogged pores.
Also, skin flakes, which are produced by dandruff, can clog your pores as well.
It is important to keep your seborrhea under control with a medicated shampoo to prevent outbreaks.
Bonus tip: Clean your smartphone with a disinfectant wipe every day to make sure theres no lingering bacteria that could possibly transfer to your face which can cause acne on forehead.
Read Also: Why Do I Get Acne On My Cheeks
Forehead Acne Scar Removal
If you are getting rid of acne scars from home, a bit of a rummage in your kitchen cupboards for Baking bicarbonate soda could prove useful. Baking soda is one of the fastest ways to remove forehead acne scars.
There are reasons why the majority of people with pitted acne scars use homemade remedies to remove acne scars on their forehead.Baking Soda especially is a godsend! Though it isnt much to look at in the eyes, the one thing I have learned in cosmetology is that looks can be deceiving. Baking soda works as a mild exfoliant to help fade the scar tissue layer by layer until all those pitted pores disappear.
Heres how you can make your mix to get rid of acne scars on your forehead fast
- Measure 2 teaspoons of baking soda into a bowl.
- Then add water to make a whipped thin paste out of your mix.
- When ready, apply the mixture on your pitted acne scars.
- Leave it on your forehead for a couple of minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Rinse and repeat this treatment once daily for several weeks to help fade your pitted acne scars.
Want to know any more tips on How to get rid of acne scars naturally?
Well, these addon ways are the 10 most effective ways to remove acne scars and pimple marks:
Eat Foods High In Omega
Omega-3 fatty acids are known to control oil-producing molecules. The good news, it is easy to find omega-3 in foods. Fish and fish oils, like sardines, salmon, shad, mackerel, and whitefish, are good sources. Avocados are also effective. Plus, you can choose different kinds of seeds and nuts like chia seeds, walnuts, butternuts, flaxseeds, and flaxseed oil.
Don’t Miss: Does Loestrin Help With Acne
Symptoms Of Forehead Pimples
When the pores on your forehead get clogged with dead skin cells, oils, and bacteria, they can get irritated. The result is a red, inflamed spot called a pimple.
Pimples are easy to notice and identify. They are usually a raised bump that might be red and tender to the touch. They can occur one at a time or in clusters. In severe cases, pimples can lead to permanent scars on your face.
Keep Those Glands Cleared Out
Pimples can form from blocked sebaceous glands that normally produce sebum in the skin.
These glands can be blocked by excess sebum, dead skin cells, or bacteria.
Keeping your skin clean, without excess oil, and well exfoliated can help keep the glands open and able to function properly without acne-causing sebum build-up.
Don’t Miss: How To Cover Back Acne
What Questions Should I Ask My Healthcare Provider About Acne
- What type of acne do I have?
- How severe is my acne?
- Do I need to see a dermatologist?
- Do I need a referral?
- What over-the-counter medications do you recommend?
- What prescription medications do you recommend?
A note from Cleveland Clinic:
Acne is the most common of all skin conditions and can have a profound psychosocial impact.
How To Remove Forehead Acne
Here at Sönd, we believe in a holistic approach to skincare above all else. This means that before trying harsh, medicated skin products or oral medications to treat acne, including acne on the forehead, it pays to look at other ways.
These include looking at your diet, lifestyle factors such as stress, balancing your hormones and switching to alkaline skin care specifically designed to help treat skin affected by acne and other common skin problems.
If after a few months, your forehead acne is still the same, then you could think about using topical creams and ointments or oral medications as forehead acne treatment.
We have plenty of information on using topical creams and ointments such as topical retinoids and antibiotics, and medications such as the contraceptive pill and oral antibiotics. What works best for you may be a case of trial and error, and your doctor or pharmacist can advise further, relating to your skin type and medical history.
This advice remains the same, no matter the cause of your forehead acne. The only difference being, if your forehead acne is caused by having a fringe, you will benefit from growing out your fringe and otherwise keeping your hair clipped or brushed back from your forehead.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Nodular Acne
Bonus: Bedding And Pillowcases
We spend roughly half of our time in bed while we sleep. This means our bedding can play a crucial role in our skin health. Dirt and bacteria from your skin cells will find their way into the fibres of the fabric night after night, so make sure to get your laundry done as often as you can, or at the very least, change your pillowcases often.
Is It Safe To Pop A Pimple On Your Forehead
You never want to pop a pimple on your forehead or anywhere else on your face or body. Picking at acne introduces dirt from your fingers into your skin, which can lead to an infection. When you pop a pimple, itll take longer to heal. Popping can also leave a permanent scar.
These other conditions can also cause bumps to form on your forehead:
- Boils are red, painful lumps that grow out of infected hair follicles.
- Cellulitis is a skin infection that forms around a cut or scrape.
- Contact dermatitis is a skin reaction to products you use or touch, such as laundry detergent or clothing.
- Folliculitis is an infection of the hair follicle.
- Ringwormis a skin infection caused by fungi.
- Rosaceais a skin condition that causes redness and pimples on the face.
Recommended Reading: What Causes Acne In Teenage Girl
White Pack For Forehead Acne
White pack for forehead acne is the basic combination which consists of Baking soda and water with the minimal amount of lemon for treating pimples.
Baking soda is amphoteric which works as an acid and aim to cure imbalances caused inside the skin. Additionally, it also consists of anti-inflammatory properties which help in drying out all the excess oil from the skin thus allow the clearing of pores.
- Take two tablespoons of Baking Soda and water
- Mix both the ingredients together and form a thick applicable paste.
- Now use your hands to apply the soda mixture on the forehead.
- Leave the mixture for 15-30 minutes
- Repeat the procedure daily or twice a week for best results.
- Never use the excess amount of baking soda as it may dry your skin and start causing irritation.
- For best results, add few drops of lemon in the mixture as it will help in supplying the Vitamin C to the affected area.
- If you have sensitive skin then, it is recommended to test the mixture by applying it on your hands.
- Dont leave the mixture on your face for too long as it may dry your pores excessively. Always follow the cautions.
Clear Forehead Acne With Home Remedies
Regularly Change Your Face Towel
When you think about it, consistently reaching for your go-to face towel every day is like reusing a dinner napkin over and over again. Using dirty towels can harbor bacteria, and they can even introduce new bacteria to your skin, which may lead to more pimples. Thankfully, this doesn’t mean you need to reach for a new towel every single time you wash your face, according to Dr. Melissa Kanchanapoomi Levin, board-certified NYC dermatologist and clinical instructor at NYU Langone and Mount Sinai Hospital. As long as you’re truly washing off all of your makeup, you can stick to switching out your towels on a weekly basis.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Brown Acne Scars
Change Your Pillowcases Often
As with anything that touches your face, your pillows should have clean pillowcases, which ideally should be laundered after every use, or at least a few times a week for best results.
If dirt and bacteria accumulate on them and you sleep on your side or stomach, this will rub dirt and bacteria into your hair follicles leading to acne on your forehead and other areas of your face.
This type of acne that is caused by friction is called acne mechanica .
Forehead Acne Medical Treatments
Mild cases of pimples or acne on the forehead can be treated using over-the-counter medication in the form of ointments, creams, gels, or supplements. Benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, retinol, and resorcinol are common OTC options .
Benzoyl peroxide is known to be antibacterial, while salicylic acid exhibits anti-inflammatory and comedolytic properties . This can help reduce the blockage of pores with sebum that can lead to acne.
Retinol and zinc supplements are other effective options to reduce acne.
You can resort to over-the-counter medication, depending on the severity of the acne on your forehead. Make sure to consult your dermatologist before taking these medicines. If you are dealing with severe acne, your dermatologist will guide you about the treatment options you can follow.
If you have a mild case of acne, the following natural remedies may help treat it.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Pitted Acne Scars
Tips For Preventing Forehead Acne
- Wash your face twice daily, double-cleansing if necessary
- Wash your hair when it gets greasy and try to keep it away from your face
- Change out your pillow cases often
- Avoid the application of hair care products too close to your hairline
- Avoid touching your face
- Use skincare products that identify themselves as non-comedogenic
- Exfoliate according to your skin type
- Wash your face after profuse sweating
Think you could use a little help from a healthcare practitioner to get your forehead acne under control? Get started today with an online visit to see if prescription treatment might be right for you.
Why Do I Have Acne
Acne is most commonly linked to the changes in hormone levels during puberty, but can start at any age.
Certain hormones cause the grease-producing glands next to hair follicles in the skin to produce larger amounts of oil .
This abnormal sebum changes the activity of a usually harmless skin bacterium called P. acnes, which becomes more aggressive and causes inflammation and pus.
The hormones also thicken the inner lining of the hair follicle, causing blockage of the pores. Cleaning the skin does not help to remove this blockage.
You May Like: How To Treat Hormonal Acne On Chin
Removing Pitted Or Raised Scars
You May Like: How To Rid Of Back Acne
How Can We Treat Acne Scars
Acne scars tend to be as unsightly as acne is. However, there are ways to reduce their appearance.
- Rinse your face with warm water and a mild cleanser, before patting dry.
- Make a mixture of water and two grated garlic cloves.
- After applying this mixture onto the forehead, massage gently.
- Wash your face with warm water after five minutes or so.
- Prepare a mixture comprising of two garlic cloves , honey , and olive oil .
- Apply on the forehead and let it remain for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Rinse the face with warm water and pat dry.
Also Check: What Causes Baby Acne On Face