Use Apple Cider Vinegar Directly
As a natural disinfectant, apple cider vinegar has become a home remedy for a lot of needs.
For those looking at how to get rid of acne scars, it has become a go-to option for hundreds of men and women.
The benefit is in the acid quality that, like lemon juice, helps to bleach the skin, so scarring looks better.
Another benefit is the anti-inflammatory properties, which is great when looking at how to get rid of red acne scars.
It reduces the inflammation around the issue, which in turn reduces the redness. This will also work on pimples and acne that have just formed.
A third benefit is the antibacterial properties.
When using this, you can know that the dirt and grime from the pores are being removed.
This reduces the risk of acne forming again in the future, especially if you use it on a regular basis.
There are no limitations to apple cider vinegar. It is full of various vitamins and minerals, along with ketones and antioxidants.
All together with the acid, they work to fight off various infections and diseases, while improving the look of your skin.
This is why so many really do swear by it for all their needs and will ensure a bottle is always in the house.
One of the ways to use the apple cider vinegar is to mix it with some water. This is beneficial for those who have sensitive skin, as applying just the vinegar can cause irritation.
When the two ingredients are mixed in equal parts, use a cotton ball to dab the mixture directly onto the scars.
When To Seek Medical Advice
If you have mild acne, speak to a pharmacist about medicines to treat it.
If these do not control your acne, or it’s making you feel very unhappy, see a GP.
You should see a GP if you have moderate or severe acne or you develop nodules or cysts, as they need to be treated properly to avoid scarring.
Try to resist the temptation to pick or squeeze the spots, as this can lead to permanent scarring.
Treatments can take up to 3 months to work, so do not expect results overnight. Once they do start to work, the results are usually good.
Live That Healthy Lifestyle Bro
The foundation of any natural acne treatment is to improve your areas of health that need improvement.
A healthy, nutritionally supported body is essential for fighting inflammation and repairing and rebuilding healthy, acne free skin.
So this includes eating whole, nutritious foods and mostly avoiding processed packaged foods. Cutting down on wheat, dairy, and sugar, also has a big impact for many.
Get quality sleep. Get some exercise. Dont drink too much. Dont smoke too much. Practice stress relief techniques. Find joy and purpose in your life.
You might also want to try a natural supplement to support hormonal health, like Estroblock .
For full details and instructions on this, check out my free report 7 Things You Can Start Doing Right Now to Clear Your Skin, and my in depth acne guide Naturally Clear Skin.
Don’t Miss: Does Niacinamide Help With Acne Scars
Mix The Methods Together
One of the biggest benefits of home remedies is that they can be used together. They are all made from natural ingredients, so you dont have the fear of the chemicals that youre using.
Consider starting with a lemon-sugar scrub, use your tomato and avocado face mask and then finish it off with an olive oil moisturizing cream.
The body takes advantage of all the healing properties in multiple ingredients, absorbing more than you ever thought possible.
Make sure you apply them all directly to the scarring. Some people will eat or drink them instead, but the skin doesnt get the full benefit.
While the body absorbs the healing properties, they are broken down in the digestive system.
Using them directly onto the skin helps to ensure the skin actually absorbs the nutrients.
Baking Soda As An Exfoliate
One that you will definitely have in your house is baking soda. if you don’t have it though, you can buy it here. This rising agent is an excellent natural remedy for all sorts of problems, whether youre looking to whiten your teeth or stop your washing machine from smelling.
Because of its roughness, it works as an excellent exfoliate for your back acne scars.
All you need is the baking soda and some water.
It works as any exfoliate would do so just apply it directly to the skin. You can turn it into a paste and then pop it directly on the scars only, leaving it there for the skin to soak some of it in.
Rinse with warm water and youre ready to moisturize, which is worthwhile with another natural remedy to get rid of scarring.
It is also possible to mix this with the lemon trick. Rather than using sugar or salt, dip the lemon or lime half into the baking soda and use it as a scrub.
Youll not only get the exfoliate but also all the nutrients from the fruit.
You only need to do this two to three times a week. It will take some time to see the results, but it really does work and is affordable.
Read Also: What Helps With Forehead Acne
How To Prevent Back Acne
According to Rachel Nazarian, MD, a board-certified dermatologist and assistant clinical professor at Mount Sinai Hospital Department of Dermatology, “Because the back has a high density of sweat and oil glands, and is generally covered with clothing, its prone to heat-trapping, occlusion, and pressure,” Nazarian explains. All of these factors increase the chances of back acne formation and scarring.
- Avoid backpacks: Rubbing and friction can cause a type of acne on the back called acne mechanica.
- Use an acne-medicated body wash: Washing with an acne-specific body cleanser will help to decrease acne pimples and inflammation. Look for ingredients like salicylic acid that break up blocked, clogged pores and decrease back acne inflammation.
- Wear breathable clothing: To avoid trapping sweat and heat, try wearing fabrics such as cotton rather than polyblend fabrics.
- Dont pick: Even though some of our back acne pimples may be within our reach, picking only increases injury to the skin and makes it even more likely scars will form.
- Dont sunbathe: Although it may be tempting to camouflage acne pimples with a tan, this will increase redness and the pigment that acne leaves behind, leaving those scars around longer and preventing them from fading.
How To Get Rid Of Back Acne Once And For All
All products featured on GQ are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The first thing to know about how to get rid of back acne is that it’s not like the pimples you get on your face. Yes, its similar in that the pores clog and bacteria is often to blame, and also you get incredibly confused and angry and emotional about it . But it’s different in that it comes with its own rulebook for treating and preventing it.
Luckily bacne is very treatable and very preventable. And I didnt know all the ways to keep it at bay until I sourced a bunch of board-certified dermatologists for the answers. We got the advice they often give their own patients in regards to back acne, and now theyve got your back, too: Here’s how to get rid of back acne.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Acne On Side Of Face
Swap Out Your Current Body Wash
That ultra-creamy, coconut-scented shower gel may feel seriously luxe, but if it doesn’t contain zit-zapping ingredients such as salicylic acid , glycolic acid , and lactic acid , then it might not be doing your body acne any good.
‘Acids like these prevent dead skin cells from building up and blocking your pores,’ explains London-based consultant dermatologist, Dr. Justine Kluk. ‘And remember, cleanse your skin thoroughly in the shower every day.’
How Can I Get Rid Of Pimples From My Arms And Shoulders
Your dermatologist may use the following treatment options to reduce breakouts on your arms and shoulders:
- Chemical Peels: A chemical peel consists of an acid extracted from natural sources with a variable concentration to suit different skin types. It works by exfoliating the top layer of the skin that contains the dead cells and excess keratin. It also helps to control the breakouts as it brings excess oil production under control and has anti-inflammatory properties. The Glycolic Peel and Salicylic Peel are the two best chemical peels for the treatment of pimples on arms and shoulders.1. Glycolic Peels Glycolic Acid belongs to the family of alpha-hydroxy acids . Glycolic peels exfoliate the top layers of the skin and effectively control pimples. This peel also helps in reducing signs of ageing, uneven skin tone, etc.2. Salicylic Peels Many dermatologists consider salicylic peels to be more effective to treat breakouts as they can penetrate the oil glands better. This peel is suitable for all skin types and both men and women.
It is advisable to apply the peels under the supervision of an experienced dermatologist at a reputed clinic. Since these peels contain a varying concentration of chemicals, the skin doctor is the right person to recommend one most suitable for your skin type and condition.
You May Like: What Does Hyaluronic Acid Do For Acne
Watch The Steamy Hot Showers
Water that is too hot in your shower could have the effect of drying out your skin, which causes your skin to overproduce oil all over your back and chest, resulting in body acne.
Plus, its irritating.
Try turning the water temp down a bit, from steaming-almost-burning-you hot, to more like a pleasant luke warm.
Even if you do turn the temperature down a bit, water itself can be quite drying on its own.
If you find your skin feels really dry after a shower, use a good oil as a moisturizer to help it out. to find a good oil blend that will suit your skin type.
Remember not to put too much oil on, only enough to be fully absorbed. Apply a few drops while your back is still damp in order to help you spread it around and absorb better.
Oils will help your skin not to overproduce its own oil, and therefore prevent acne, but a film of oil left on the skin will only reduce breathability and could lead to more clogged pores.
How To Prevent Acne On Your Shoulder And Back
- Drink plenty of water to wash away the toxins in your body and regenerate skin cells.
- Avoid oily and spicy foods, which can exacerbate acne problems.
- Eat more foods rich in vitamin A, vitamin E, and zinc, such as green vegetables, fruits, and fish.
- Avoid shampoos, conditioners, and hairsprays that contain chemicals. They can easily cause acne on the shoulders or back.
- Avoid using irritating soaps and oily moisturizers, cosmetics, and sunscreen lotions.
- Avoid using detergents that contain irritating chemicals to wash your clothes. The residues left on clothes will irritate your skin.
- When going out, make sure to apply a sunscreen with an SPF of at least SPF 30.Try to use natural organic sunscreen.
- Regularly clean blankets, bedspreads and other bedding.
- Regularly exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells.
- Avoid carrying a backpack or wearing sports equipment for a long time, this can cause damage to your shoulder skin.
- If shoulder acne becomes worse, youâd better consult your dermatologist immediately.
Don’t Miss: How To Remove Acne From Sensitive Skin
Causes And Prevention Of Back Acne
- Hormones: A common cause is puberty or any hormonal change or a familial genetic predisposition.
- Perspiration: Pressure on the back combined with excessive sweating, poor hygiene, and closed coverage of the skin without “breathing,” can result in back acne.
- Bacteria: High growth levels of bacteria on the skin can be a culprit, which can occur on the face or body.
- Steroids: Another force at work could be steroid usage. With increased androgen levels from steroids, the sebaceous glands on the skin secrete more oils. This is most common on the back and shoulders or chest than the face.
What Causes Shoulder And Back Acne
Like face acne, there are several reasons why pimples and bumps can develop on the back and shoulders. Acne symptoms can vary by cause. Determining the source of your acne is an important step in back and shoulder acne treatment.
- Acne Mechanica: This is one of the most common types of acne to develop on the shoulders and back. Caused by friction, acne mechanica is typically the result of ill-fitting clothing, exercise, and athletic apparel, but it can also be the result of something as simple as an improperly fitting backpack. If your acne is seasonal, or if it appears after physical activity, this may be the cause of your shoulder and back acne.
- Acne Vulgaris: This is another common form of acne that frequently develops on the back and shoulders. Also known as hormonal acne, these lesions appear when the skin produces too much sebum, or oil, which can lead to clogged hair follicles. This type of acne responds well to at-home treatment, but it can become painful and widespread, especially on the back. If youre struggling to treat your acne vulgaris, a dermatologist can provide relief.
- Keratosis Pilaris: While not itself acne, keratosis pilaris can sometimes look like pimples. These bumps appear in patches across the shoulders, back, and upper arms. They are a result of keratin overproduction. The condition is not painful, but it can be unsightly when it appears in large swathes across the body. Most keratosis pilaris treatment is very effective.
You May Like: Why Am I Getting Cystic Acne In My 30s
Moisturize With Olive Oil
Moisturizing your skin, especially after exfoliating, is important. You want a natural one that promotes healing, rather than the ones that you can get over the counter.
While Aloe Vera would be one excellent option, olive oil is also great. The benefit of olive oil is that it is great for cooking too, so should be something you already have in your house.
There are a lot of vitamins and minerals in olive oil, and it is full of antioxidants. Not only will these work together to stop the inflammation in the skin that acne causes, but will also help to fight against other diseases.
Antioxidants fight against free radicals, reducing the risk of cancer!
When opting for this method to remove the scars, do it before you go to bed and leave it on overnight.
Let the skin soak in the healing properties, so you see the benefits the next morning. This can work well with Aloe Vera when you want to know how to get rid of acne scars overnight.
Wash any residue off the next morning, and youre good to go.
Once youve washed it off, make sure you use a clean towel and pat yourself dry. You dont want to ruin the hard work the natural ingredients has done.
You can purchase olive oil here.
Use Specially Formulated Cleansers
Take advantage of cleansers made specifically to fight bacne, like the CeraVe Salicylic Acid Body Wash . As the name suggests, this cleanser deposits salicylic acid wherever you need it most, leaving you feeling ultra-clean and helping you to fight acne all over your body. Another option is to use a benzoyl peroxidelaced wash, like PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash .
If body washes are more your style, try Murads Acne Body Wash, $44. The trifecta of salicylic acid, green tea, and licorice root extract reduces redness, soothes inflammation, and unclogs pores. If you’re still not seeing results with OTC products, ask your dermatologist about prescription-strength washes, too.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Oily Acne Prone Skin
Rare But Severe Back And Shoulder Acne Conditions
Most back and shoulder acne is easily treated, but there are two conditions that always require a professionals help. Acne fulminans, which manifests as ulcerative and nodular lesions, and acne conglobata, which is characterized by interconnected and deep lesions, both require medical treatment. When on the back and shoulders, these conditions can be very painful and difficult to treat.
Here Are A Few Tips On How To Get Rid Of Back Acne:
Change your sheets
Try your best to change your sheets about once a week or so. “Changing your sheets frequently is beneficial because dead skin cells and bacteria can easily accumulate on them throughout the night and irritate skin,” says Dr. Chimento.
Make over your morning routine
Your conditioner, your sunscreen , your body cream can all clog pores, causing you to get zits on your back. Luckily, a few easy tweaks to your get-ready routine can help slash your chances of one popping up.
When washing and conditioning, flip your hair to the front and rinse forward to avoid leaving shampoo and conditioner residue on your back and rinse your whole body thoroughly before stepping out of the shower. In summertime, it’s better to use lotions rather than creams because they have less oil content and rely more on water to hydrate the skin, so they’re less clogging. “Only use non-comedogenic creams and lotions: these products are specifically formulated with ingredients that won’t block pores,” Dr. Chimento says.
And when it’s time to apply sunscreen, choose one that is labeled “ultra-light” or “quick-dry” like La Roche Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid.
Swap out your clothing
Choose the right cleanser
Eat skin-friendly foods
Give your back extra love
See a dermatologist
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Stress Induced Acne