Does Lemon Remove Black Spots
Yes, lemon contains citric acid and Vitamin C, which has some gentle exfoliating properties.
Using lemon juice over time can gradually remove black spots by breaking down hyperpigmentation caused by melanin. There’s an array of DIY procedures that tackle dark spots one of the most potent ones involves the humble lemon.
Mix some lemon juice with a teaspoon of baking soda to get a smooth paste. Apply the paste to your black spots and leave for three or four minutes. Wash the mixture off with warm water. Repeat this procedure daily for the best results.
Mix half a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with half a teaspoon of lemon juice. Add one tablespoon of water and dab it on your spots using cotton. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat the procedure 2-3 times weekly until you notice improvements in your black spots.
Mix half a teaspoon each of olive oil and lemon juice. Apply to dark spots and leave it on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with water. Repeat twice daily to realize the skin lighting effects of lemon.
How Do You Get Rid Of Severe Acne Scars
The most effective treatments to get rid of severe acne scars include
- Chemical peels: This involves the use of strong chemicals to remove the outer layer of the skin and reduce the appearance of scars. Some salicylic acid, glycolic acid containing peels are available OTC.
- Botox injections: These are highly effective for acne scars with puckered skin around them. These puckered areas can be treated with botulinum toxin injections to improve the appearance of skin.
- Dermabrasion: The procedure involves the removal of the top, damaged layer of skin with a rapidly rotating wire brush or wheel with a rough surface. The procedure deeply exfoliates the top layer of skin to reduce the appearance of deeper scars.
- Microneedling: This uses a small, handheld pen or needle-studded roller to puncture the skin on the surface of the scars. As the punctured skin heals, it makes collagen and reduces the visibility of acne scars by smoothing out the skin.
- Laser resurfacing: The procedure involves removing the top layer of skin to reveal younger underlying skin cells to reduce the appearance of scars. It creates a more even skin surface.
Speak with a dermatologist to determine the best treatment for your acne scars.
How To Remove Pimples Marks With Home Remedies
Our grandma knows every secret when it comes to home remedies for every problem. Earlier when there was no internet and there was no digital media for communication we used to rely on ancient Ayurvedic methods to care for our skin and body health. Now we have access to vast information and the right answer to how to remove pimple marks is still under confusion. How do we know which will be best for our skin that effectively removes pimple scars. So here are the home remedies for pimple scars that will help you make your skin flawless
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Red Acne Bumps
Give Microneedling With Radio Frequency A Try
Microneedling creates small, narrow, superficial areas of mechanical injury that work to stimulate the repair response, increase collagen production, and improve scar appearance. When combined with radio frequency, it becomes a bit more aggressivewith energy being released deeper within the skin to trigger a more robust inflammatory and collagen response.
Do Not Forget To Apply Sunscreen
Above all the products listed, do not forget to use sunscreen to block harmful sun rays that darken the ace scars, making them more noticeable and prominent.
A severe type of acne scars can no longer be treated at home as it would need clinical treatment, such as laser treatments, puncture, and fillers.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Retinol Cream For Acne
What Causes Dark Spots On Black Skin
Dark-skinned people are more prone to dark spots than their fair-skinned counterparts. You see, dark spots are caused when the skin produces unusually high amounts of melanin. Whats melanin. Its the chemical responsible for skin, hair, and eye color. It’s no secret that darker-skinned people have a lot more melanin. Factors such as hormonal changes, sun exposure, irritation, and inflammation can equally trigger an unusual surge in melanin production.
Hypertrophic Scars And Keloids
Poonsak Pornnatwuttikul/Alamy Natallia Mikulich/Shutterstock
Some types of acne leave scars that appear as enlarged, raised growths of tissue. These acne scars are caused by too much scar tissue. Hypertrophic scars and keloids look similar, but the latter are more raised than the former.
More on Managing Acne
Recommended Reading: Does Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion Help Acne
How Do You Lighten Dark Scars
To lighten dark scars, you can either choose natural DIY remedies or see a dermatologist for medical therapy. Natural ingredients such as coconut oil, olive oil, milk, aloe vera, honey, etc. can work wonders. To do this, apply honey on the scar and cover it with a bandage. Keep it covered overnight, then wash it off the next morning. Go on to repeat the process routinely until you see a visible improvement. You can also massage in coconut oil, olive oil, or vitamin E, then wash it off with warm water three times daily.
Alternatively, apply baking soda paste daily. Let it stay for 15 minutes before you wash it off with warm water. Baking soda helps lighten dark scars in general, regardless of skin type. If you prefer a medical remedy, speak to a credible dermatologist qualified to prescribe a personalized treatment. Some of the medical options available for this remedy include laser therapy, skin lightening creams, chemical peels, surgery, etc.
How To Lighten Acne Scars
Different ways to lighten discolored acne scars:
- Vitamin C serum: Vitamin C serum boosts collagen production in skin and helps with sun protection, brightening and improving discoloration in skin and is great for lightening discolored spots including discolored acne mark spots
- Salicylic acid: Salicylic acid helps skin turnover and exfoliation and in doing so can help improve the appearance of discolored acne marks
- Exfoliation and exfoliation creams and serums: Exfoliating using an exfoliation spray, cream, serum or wash helps skin cell turnover which helps improve discolored marks on the skin. Make sure not to over-exfoliate and wait a few days in-between each time.
- Natural oils including coconut oil, argan oil: Natural oils help skin moisturize and repair and can help improve. discolored spots
After acne, some people are left with discolored marks in the skin, most commonly red or other colors that are not the color of their normal skin.
As explained above, this type of discoloration is not as severe as an indented acne scar and has a better chance of healing even if left alone as time passes.
You can also speed up the healing process by using any of the exfoliation methods above, or serums that help your skin repair and boost collagen production including Vitamin C serum.
Read Also: How Much Is Laser Resurfacing For Acne Scars
What Are Acne Scars
Acne scars are textural changes and indents that happen when the skin is healing from severe acne, usually cystic acne.
Technically only indented scarring is categorized as acne scarring, the other discoloration or smaller changes that result after acne heals are less severe and have more of a chance of improving over time even without treatment which is why they are not categorized as acne scars.
This means when you have scars that are discolored and red, for example, technically they are simply categorized as discoloration and not acne scarring.
The good news is there are treatments and ways to help both discolored and red acne scarring and regular indented acne scarring improve and heal.
Dermatological Procedures To Improve Or Remove Acne Scars
But while certain measures can help prevent new scarring, what are your options for minimizing the appearance of existing scars?
Common procedures to remove or improve acne scars include:
Dermabrasion This effective scar removal treatment uses a high-speed brush or other instrument to resurface your skin and remove or reduce the depth of scars. It can take up to three weeks for skin to heal.
Microdermabrasion For this less-intensive type of dermabrasion, a dermatologist or aesthetician uses a handheld device to remove surface skin. More than one treatment may be required, but theres no downtime, according to the AAD.
Chemical peel During a chemical peel, a chemical solution is applied to the skin. It removes the outer layer of your skin, resulting in a smoother, more even appearance. You may experience redness and peeling for three to seven days after the procedure, notes the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery .
Laser Your dermatologist can use a laser resurfacing treatment to remove the outer layer of your skin, contour areas of acne scars, or lighten redness around healed acne lesions. Healing may take between 3 and 10 days.
You May Like: Why Am I Getting Acne On My Cheeks
Home Remedies To Lighten And Heal Scars
Scars form when skin tissue has been stretched or damaged. Theyre most common following surgery, injury, or severe acne. For many people, dark scars can leave them feeling self-conscious. The may find they dont enjoy going out if their scars arent covered and can feel embarrassed about the way they look. To learn home remedies to lighten and heal scars, keep reading.
How To Get Rid Of Red Acne Scars Fast
If you are wondering how to get rid of red acne scars fast, eye drops can act as a quick fix. Soak a cotton ball and press it on the scar for two to five minutes. This will get rid of the redness albeit temporarily. It works by offering the scar some vasoconstriction qualities which are responsible for eliminating redness in eyes.
You May Like: What To Do For Acne
What Other Remedies Or Habits We Can One Inculcate To Prevent The Appearance Of Acne Scars
Simple dos & don’ts such as:
- Wearing sunscreen: There is a reason dermatologists swear by sunscreens and recommend wearing them 365 days of the year! Sunscreen helps in the maintenance of skin health as it decreases the risk of damage from harmful UV rays and most importantly prevents dark spots and discolouration from sun damage for a smoother, even skin tone.
- Never popping pimples: Squeezing a pimple may be tempting in the moment, but this is something we should consciously avoid, as when done incorrectly, it increases the risk of infection and scarring. It could end up breaking your skin barrier, spreading bacteria into the pores and hair follicles and clogging the pores. It also triggers inflammation and makes the acne last longer and more visible.
- Use gentle products on the skin and exfoliate gently: Never scrub too hard or use powerful chemicals to get rid of scars as it may lead to redness, itchiness or inflammation. Always use mild products and gentle movements to apply them.
- Use a facial massage tool to clarify the skin from within: Ancient Chinese techniques such as Gua Shas and face rollers not only re-energise the skin and promote lymphatic drainage, but also clarify the skin from within. They aid in the removal of harmful toxins, soothe inflammation and regenerate the skin’s tissue.
– By Krisha Jhaveri
What Are The Best Treatments For Acne Scars
Luckily, there’s a bevy of gels, creams, and treatments that can bring blemish-induced discoloration down. Dr. Sarkar says that collagen-building ingredients will generally help acne scars, so she looks to retinoids, vitamin C, and alpha hydroxy acids when treating her patients.
“Retinoids, a vitamin A derivative, help to increase collagen, even out skin tone, and prevent future acne,” she explains. “Vitamin C is a brightening agent and an antioxidant, and it has been shown to build collagen as well. Glycolic, lactic, and mandelic acids help to resurface the skin to even out skin tone.”
Recommended Reading: Why Do You Get Acne
Atrophic/ Depressed Acne Scars
These are the most common scars which create depressed, hollow indentations on the face and are formed when the skin lacks fibroblasts in the healing process. Fibroblasts are skin cells that play a pivotal role in the healing of wounds as well as the production of collagen.
The three types of atrophic scars are:
– Boxcar: These are wide U shaped scars with sharp edges that can be deep or shallow. The shallower they are, the faster they react to any skin treatments. They are formed due to an inflammatory breakout that destroys the natural collagen, leading to the loss of skin tissue and forming depressions in the skin.
– Ice pick: These are narrow, V-shaped scars that extend far under the skin’s surface, whose appearance resembles small circular or oval-shaped holes or chickenpox scars. These are the hardest scars to treat as they go deep under the skin’s surface and are the most prominent to the naked eye.
– Rolling: These have an irregular appearance with wide depressions in the skin’s surface with round edges. They occur due to the fibrous bands of skin tissue that develop in the middle of the skin’s surface and the tissue below and pull off the epidermis, giving the scars an uneven and irregular appearance.
What Is The Best Cream For Acne Scar
The best acne scars and the rest usually include one or more of the following ingredients: Hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, Vitamin C, and epidermal growth factors. For mild acne, beneficial ingredients include salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol, and sulfur. Remember to stay away from greasy oils that could further clog up your pores.
Recommended Reading: Is Antibiotic Ointment Good For Acne
How To Cover Red Acne Scars
When having a special occasion, it is possible to use makeup to cover red acne scars. This should start off by choosing a facial skin color matching concealer. This should be applied all round not on the scar. When done this way, the cover up is enhanced. Pick on a formula that is dry but thick. Apply it using a pointed concealer brush. This is better than the finger as it can through all surrounding crevices which the finger cant. When you are done concealing the scar, blend in makeup with the rest of the face.
Whats A Good Skin Care Routine For Fading Acne Scars
While you should defer to your dermatologist for a customized routine, Friedler recommended using a medicated antimicrobial cleanser in the morning, followed by oil-free sunscreen. In the evening, she recommended using a gentle cleanser followed by a topical retinoid.
Acne scar treatment products should generally be applied once per day. If they contain retinoids, they should only be applied at night because the sunlight can interfere with them, Fenton said. How frequently you use exfoliating agents such as retinols and glycolic acids depends on their strength and concentration. Some are designed to be used only weekly, so follow the products recommended use guide.
Its also important to remember that fading scars on the face is easier than fading them on the body, and it can take years for some people to fade discoloration from body acne, Fenton cautioned.
Want more guidance? Below, weve rounded up all of the dermatologists recommended acne scar products into one easy-to-browse list for you.
Take a look:
Read Also: What’s Good For Oily Acne Skin
How To Lighten Acne Scars With Vitamin C
The Pumori study found that Having a higher concentration of Vitamin From a clinical point of view, it is important to note that the efficacy of the Vitamin C serum is proportional to the concentration, but only up to 20%.
The Pumori study explains that The half-life in the skin after achieving maximum concentration is 4 days. A persistent reservoir of Vitamin C is important for adequate photo-protection, and can be achieved by regular 8-hourly applications.
This means with the 4 day half-life of Vitamin C, youll get the most benefit from regular 8 hour applications. Doing this will help the skin protect from the sun when you also apply it with sunscreen, and help protect from oxidants and pollution in the air, as well as aid collagen process in the skin to help repair and heal discolored acne scar marks.
What Causes Scars From Acne
Whether theyre flat, depressed, or raised, the basics of why an acne scar appears will remain the same. Certain types of acne penetrate the skin more deeply, and the result is that they damage the surrounding tissue. The actual blemish will go away with the right treatment or enough time, and your skin attempts to repair the damage. One key component of this is your body producing collagen. This is a process that requires more precision than you might have thought. If the right amount of collagen isnt produced , a scar will form in the wake of your breakout. How much collagen is made will determine whether the resulting scar is depressed or raised.III
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Acne On Arms And Shoulders
Ask Your Dermatologist About Accutane
A common but powerful prescription medication, isotretinoin is a prescription acne medication that is specifically indicated for scarring acne. When other forms of treatment have been ineffective and exhausted, Camp says that isotretinoin is helpful for providing a durable remission in scarring acne. You should only begin an Accutane prescription under the guidance of your board-certified dermatologist, and it can be helpful to go into your appointment with some background knowledge of its potential side effects.