Hypertrophic Scars And Keloids
Poonsak Pornnatwuttikul/Alamy Natallia Mikulich/Shutterstock
Some types of acne leave scars that appear as enlarged, raised growths of tissue. These acne scars are caused by too much scar tissue. Hypertrophic scars and keloids look similar, but the latter are more raised than the former.
More on Managing Acne
A Final Word On Improving Acne Scars
Some acne scars fade over time. For those that dont, over-the-counter products and certain procedures might help.
But while dermatological procedures can help improve your skins appearance, your health insurance might not cover these cosmetic procedures, and treatment might not completely restore your skin. So be realistic in your expectations.
Radio Frequency + Microneedling
RF microneedling takes dermarolling and adds an energy component, namely radio frequencies. Like light waves, sound waves can also stimulate a physical response. When combined with microneedling, the skin is even more activated to start rebuilding. This somewhat recent acne scar treatment method has proven effective at softening up acne scar pigmentation.
Read Also: What Causes Chest Acne In Females
Home Remedies With Tea Tree Oil For Acne Scars
Tea tree oil is a natural and effective home remedy to diminish acne scars. Its a very popular remedy for acne-prone skin because of its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. These amazing properties of tea tree oil can not only alleviate acne but also reduce the scarring effect. This is the reason why its been extensively used in many beauty products.
- 4 drops of Tea tree oil
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
What to do?
Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Dip a cotton ball into this solution and dab all over acne scars affected area. If youre having sensitive skin, wash off in an hour else you can leave it overnight. You can repeat this treatment daily or on alternate days if youre skin is hypersensitive.
How does it work?
These days tea tree oil is widely used in most of the skin care products because of the effective results it can yield. Coconut oil also has fatty acids like lauric acid that can fight against acne-causing bacteria. However, if youre having sensitive or hypersensitive skin, know if tea tree oil suits your skin type.
- Vitamin E capsule
What to do?
Peel the skin of papaya, cut into chunks and make a paste out of it using a blender. To the puree, add a tablespoon of honey and squeeze oil from a vitamin e capsule. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly till they get well combined. Apply the mix all over your face and wait until it dries. Then wash off and pat dry. Repeat this treatment every day.
How does it work?
Some Common Acne Scar Treatments Include:
- Microdermabrasion: A specialist machine applies tiny rough particles to remove the uppermost layer of skin.
- Chemical Peel: Probably the best-known treatment, this removes the outer layer of old skin by using a chemical solution, encouraging new skin to grow that is usually less scarred.
- Laser Resurfacing: A laser is used to remove scarred upper layers of skin, thereby encouraging new healthy collagen to grow in its place.
- Microneedling: Under this procedure, small needles are used to create controlled micro-injury to the skin, which helps to stimulate the body’s collagen production & smooth acne scarring.
- Subcision: This economical, simple treatment is for severe acne scarring a needle is used to break apart the fibrous bands of tissue that prevent the skin from laying in its natural position.
- Laser/Light Therapy: An intense yet gentle beam of light treats the acne without damaging surrounding tissue.
- Dermabrasion: This is the surgical sanding of the outer skin layer on acne scars.
- Soft-tissue fillers: A filler is injected directly into the acne scar to improve skin appearance.
- Excision & Punch Replacement Graft: This involves cutting into the skin to remove the acne scar & then stitching the wound. In punch replacement grafting, the scar is removed with a special tool, & a skin graft usually taken from behind the ear fills the wound.
Read Also: How Do You Clear Up Back Acne
They Help Increase Product Absorption
In addition to their own distinct benefits, AHAs can make your existing products work better by increasing their absorption into the skin.
For example, if you have too many dead skin cells, your daily moisturizer just sits on top without hydrating your new skin cells underneath. AHAs like glycolic acid can break through this layer of dead skin cells, enabling your moisturizer to hydrate your new skin cells more effectively.
Different Types Of Acne
Scars from acne can seem like double punishment first you had to deal with the pimples, now you have marks as a reminder.
Acne lesions happen when the hair follicles on the skin become plugged with oil and dead skin cells. A plugged follicle is the perfect place for bacteria to grow and create the red bumps and pus-filled red bumps known as pimples.
Acne comes in different forms:
- mild acne: this causes the whiteheads or blackheads that most of us get at some point
- moderate acne: this can cause red, inflamed pimples and red pimples with white centers
- severe acne: this causes painful, pus-filled cysts or lumps under the skin
Most serious scarring is caused by the more severe forms of acne, with nodules more likely to leave permanent scars than other types of acne.
The best approach is to get treatment for acne soon after it appears to prevent further severe acne and more scarring. If you have nodules, see your doctor or dermatologist for treatment.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Acne From Sunscreen
How Do You Get Rid Of Severe Acne Scars
The most effective treatments to get rid of severe acne scars include
- Chemical peels: This involves the use of strong chemicals to remove the outer layer of the skin and reduce the appearance of scars. Some salicylic acid, glycolic acid containing peels are available OTC.
- Botox injections: These are highly effective for acne scars with puckered skin around them. These puckered areas can be treated with botulinum toxin injections to improve the appearance of skin.
- Dermabrasion: The procedure involves the removal of the top, damaged layer of skin with a rapidly rotating wire brush or wheel with a rough surface. The procedure deeply exfoliates the top layer of skin to reduce the appearance of deeper scars.
- Microneedling: This uses a small, handheld pen or needle-studded roller to puncture the skin on the surface of the scars. As the punctured skin heals, it makes collagen and reduces the visibility of acne scars by smoothing out the skin.
- Laser resurfacing: The procedure involves removing the top layer of skin to reveal younger underlying skin cells to reduce the appearance of scars. It creates a more even skin surface.
Speak with a dermatologist to determine the best treatment for your acne scars.
Other Good Skincare Habits To Follow:
- Exfoliate regularly: To improve the appearance of scars, exfoliating regularly will aid in cell turnover rate to reveal new, healthy skin. Include the YORA Clarify Face Mask in your skincare routine to lightly exfoliate your skin with salicylic acid and bamboo beads. The added Australian white clay and activated charcoal will also help unclog pores and prevent future breakouts.
- Apply sunscreen: We’ve mentioned earlier that sun exposure can cause your acne marks to darken. To prevent this from happening, use a sunscreen with SPF 30 and above every day.
- Eat healthily: Breakouts and acne scarring can be avoided in the first place by eating healthily. To find out which acne-clearing foods you should consume, be sure to check out: The Clear Skin Diet
Recommended Reading: Where Does Cystic Acne Come From
Some Tips To Prevent Acne Scars
These are some of the effective home remedies for acne scars and to maintain a healthy glow.
Although, Be cautious!
There are several ingredients that might not suit all the skin types. Therefore, choose an ingredient wisely according to what suits your skin type. Sometimes, these home remedies may not show up immediate results but all the skin issues melt away over a period of time.
Natural Home Remedies To Remove Acne Scars And Pimple Marks
Pimple marks and acne marks can stain your beauty and hurt your confidence every time you see yourself in the mirror. You end up not appreciating your physical appearance or inner beauty. The time has come when you can finally do something constructive about it and that too at a nominal price by smartly utilizing home remedies to cure your acne and pimple issues at your convenience.
It should be noted that the best way to keep your acne and pimples in check is by maintaining a proper and balanced diet where you should avoid spicy or oily food. Here are the ten remedies you should try :
1. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel should be recommended to those suffering from skin problems like acne scars, pimple marks or any infections. It contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, which can relieve your skin blemishes and quickly remove your scars or marks. You need to apply a thick layer of aloe vera gel on the affected area and keep it overnight.
2. Coconut Oil
The rich and anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil can be very effective for your skin problems, and it can actively prevent your skin from developing new acne lesions. It contains vitamin E, K, and antioxidants, which help nourish your skin and remove pimple marks quickly. An application of a few drops of pure coconut oil on the affected part of your skin can give you the best results.
4. Zinc Supplements
5. Lemon Juice
6. Turmeric Paste
7. Shea Butter
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
9. Baking Soda
Don’t Miss: What Vitamins Are Good For Acne
Start Acne Treatment Ahead Of Time
If you break out once a month or in a predictable cycle, start treating your skin early.
The type of acne treatment that works best varies from person to person, but consider applying your acne serum, retinol product or antibacterial topical before the breakout even begins.
“In addition to these topicals, wearing sunscreen can help prevent any hyperpigmentation that may occur as a result of acne,” adds Christenson. “Just be sure to choose a sunscreen that’s appropriate for your skin. A sunscreen that clogs your pores can make your acne worse, causing more chance for scarring.”
How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars Fast
Mild acne scarring can stick around for months if left but with the right ingredients and treatments, you can speed this process up to a couple weeks or even a few days. Its a good idea to start treating acne scars as soon as possible, the longer you leave them, the harder it is to get rid of acne scars. Thats why weve suggested using the products listed above, which contain Vitamin C, Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Retinol.
Severe acne scarring and pitted scars tend to be permanent unless you opt for in-clinic treatments. Some of these procedures weve suggested, which include microdermabrasion, chemical peels and micro-needling, can help to get ride of acne scars quickly, while others can also take weeks or months for you to see improvement.
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars On Chin
Acne Scar Treatment No: Retinol
Also known as vitamin A, retinol goes hand in hand with anti-ageing treatments but can also be used to unclog pores and fade scars. Its a more gradual treatment but is popular for leaving skin looking brighter and smoother.
Associate Professor of Clinical Dermatology at USC, Keck School of Medicine, Dr Nada Elbuluk explains the benefits: ‘Many darker skin patients who develop dark spots also known as hyperpigmentation, may refer to them as “scars”. For others, acne scars can refer to textural changes in the skin such as indentations and uneven skin texture. If it’s the former, then we often treat with products such as retinoids which can help with evening out skin tone and treating acne. If it’s more of a textural change, retinoids can also help but typically a resurfacing treatment is also needed’.
Avoid if you have rosacea – it can upset and irritate.
Do trybakuchiol – it’s a natural alternative rich in vitamin C and E that works to provide the same brightening results.
Why Do Acne Scars Form
Acne scars form due to the healing of inflamed acne blemishes. When the acne is small enough, the scars are mild and heal quickly on their own. Other times, the blemish spills into the surrounding tissue and creates deeper scarring.
The two main types of acne scarring is indented and raised. Acne scars are indented when they form due to a tissue deficit, and they are raised when too much collagen is produced during the acne wound repair.
Those with darker skin are more prone to raised scarring, which is more likely to happen to darker skin types as a healing response whether that is to acne or other types of skin injuries.
Recommended Reading: What Is Otc Acne Cream
Coconut Oil For Acne Scars
Coconut oil is one of the effective home remedies to naturally reduce acne scars and blemishes. Loaded with fatty acids like lauric acid, coconut oil can also fight acne-causing bacteria. The fatty acids also help maintain moisture and keep your skin soft and supple.
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
What to do?
Firstly, cleanse your face thoroughly and pat dry. Now, take some coconut oil onto your palms and rub your palms. Dab palms over acne scars affected areas and massage for a while. You can leave the coconut oil on your face overnight. Wash off your face in the morning. Do this treatment every day since its the best home remedies for acne scars.
How does it work?
The anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil will help fade away acne scars and help heal the wounds or burns. Furthermore, coconut oil is enriched with vitamins and antioxidants will repair your skin and promotes healthy skin.
What Are The Types Of Acne And What Do They Look Like
Acne presents as many different forms. Whiteheads and blackheads are typical and tend to heal smoothly more often than not. Then there are the types that can lead to scarring:
- Papules: Pink to red bumps that hurt when you touch them.
- Pustules: Pus-filled lesions. Theyre red at the base and white or yellow at the top.
- Nodules: Solid lesions. Theyre larger than papules and pustules and can hurt more because they extend deeper into the skin.
- Cysts: Cysts lie deep within the skin. Theyre painful, full of pus and are most likely to scar.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Acne During Pregnancy
Alternative Treatments For Acne Scars
Despite trying out these natural remedies, there may be some stubborn acne scars that just won’t go away. This is particularly true for atrophic scars. In these instances, you may want to visit your dermatologist to learn about other available treatment options. Some common acne scar treatments include:
Best Products For Acne Scars
Here are the 9 best products for healing acne scars. These are the products I use in my routine and are the reason my acne scarring has healed.
Here are the best acne scar products along with explanations of how they work and why they are the best products for healing acne scars:
Combined, these are the most effective products for treating acne scars, and you can use them fully at-home or with a combination of in-person micro-needling appointments to help keep your skin moisturized and give it the nutrients it needs for the most effective skin healing.
I explain my full routine and how to use the products below.
Don’t Miss: What Foods To Avoid For Acne
How To Prevent Acne Scars
The best prevention for acne scarring is to optimize acne treatment with a good skin-care routine, a healthy diet, and an appropriate treatment regimen, says Shah.
Since reducing skin inflammation can lessen scars, dont ignore an acne problem even if its mild.
You should treat acne with over-the-counter creams or facial washes containing active acne-fighting ingredients such as salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. If these dont work, see a board-certified dermatologist, the Mayo Clinic advises.
Regular use of a topical retinoid like tretinoin, adapalene, or tazarotene has been shown to both prevent and reduce the appearance of acne scars, and these are commonly prescribed by a dermatologist as part of an acne skin-care regimen, says Shah.
Prevention also involves being gentle with your skin and avoiding practices that could irritate your skin and exacerbate inflammation.
Dont pick at your acne, and avoid using any skin-care products that are abrasive, like scrubs and loofahs or washcloths, warns Shah. She also encourages daily sunscreen use to reduce hyperpigmentation and dark spots.