How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars Using Home Remedies
If you dont think that cosmetic surgery or prescription medications are for you, then there are home remedies for acne scars you can try.
Many people use natural remedies to help reduce the appearance of acne scars. However, its worth noting that there is not much clinical evidence and research into these home remedies and the science behind them. Some acne scars home remedies may also cause further irritation or other problems, so they need to be used with caution.
Some traditional home remedies for acne scars include:
- Essential oils like tea tree oil
- Other oils like coconut oil
- Shea butter
- Lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar
Many of these ingredients can be found in your kitchen or bathroom cupboards at home, however, we would not recommend using the above treatments.
Acne Scar Removal With Laser Skin Treatments
Skin care clinics and dermatologists across the country offer laser skin treatments for acne scar removal, but is it worth it? The best way to determine which laser acne scar treatment is right for you is to get different professional opinions about which type is best for your skin, and compare pricing, expected recovery time and reviews. Here’s how a few laser treatments work for acne scar removal:
What Are Some Causes Of Jawline Acne
Jawline acne is most commonly hormonal, says Dr. Campbell. When hormones drive oil production, this excess oil, combined with dead surface skin cells, dirt and bacteria can collect and result in an inflamed cyst or whitehead. If you experience this around your period, the cause is likely hormonal, Dr. Campbell says.
You could also be experiencing acne machina from wearing a mask. This type of acne is worsened or caused by friction, occlusion and rubbing of the skin, which causes clogging of the pore with dead skin cells, oil, debris and bacteria, she says.
A third option is perioral dermatitis, a bumpy facial rash that can develop around the mouth and on the lower part of the face.
To get a proper diagnosis of what may be causing your acne, Dr. Campbell recommends consulting with a dermatologist.
Recommended Reading: Why Do I Keep Getting Body Acne
How Do You Get Rid Of Severe Acne Scars
The most effective treatments to get rid of severe acne scars include
- Chemical peels: This involves the use of strong chemicals to remove the outer layer of the skin and reduce the appearance of scars. Some salicylic acid, glycolic acid containing peels are available OTC.
- Botox injections: These are highly effective for acne scars with puckered skin around them. These puckered areas can be treated with botulinum toxin injections to improve the appearance of skin.
- Dermabrasion: The procedure involves the removal of the top, damaged layer of skin with a rapidly rotating wire brush or wheel with a rough surface. The procedure deeply exfoliates the top layer of skin to reduce the appearance of deeper scars.
- Microneedling: This uses a small, handheld pen or needle-studded roller to puncture the skin on the surface of the scars. As the punctured skin heals, it makes collagen and reduces the visibility of acne scars by smoothing out the skin.
- Laser resurfacing: The procedure involves removing the top layer of skin to reveal younger underlying skin cells to reduce the appearance of scars. It creates a more even skin surface.
Speak with a dermatologist to determine the best treatment for your acne scars.
How To Prevent Acne Scars In The First Place
First, some tips on prevention, which Lortscher says is imperative for anyone with acne-prone skin. Lets first assume that youre actively breaking out . Lortscher says one way to get ahead of the scarring is to treat the skin immediately after a pimple or breakout, thus preventing a scar from forming in the first place.
First of all, you need to differentiate between scarring and temporary discoloration, Lortscher says. The latter can happen after a particularly deep pimple popsbut those dark spots arent technically scars: Scars change the skins texture, not just the color of the skin, he says. Scars can be permanent, while dark spots from acne tend to fade within 6 to 12 months.
Secondly, he urges against any unnecessary pimple popping, which can lead to scarring. You have to resist the urge, which can prove difficult. Many people wrongly assume that by popping a pimple, you also empty it fully and thus clean out all the gunk. You may also think that this expedites healing. But it just isnt so: When you pop a zit, the gunk inside can make its way to the skins surface and irritate your skin, Lortscher says. This leads to even more pimples nearby. Plus, you run the risk of driving debris and bacteria even deeper into your skin, which can lead to scarring and worsen breakouts.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Acne From Iud
How To Tackle Red Spots Left By Pimples
The red spots are hyperpigmentation that occurs as the skin heals. These spots are often called scars but they often also fade by themselves. You can speed up the healing process with the following tips:
1. Use good, gentle skincare products.Dont use abrasive scrubs or irritating ingredients. Scrubs can damage the skin delaying natural healing, just like products with irritating ingredients.
2. Use a BHA exfoliant daily.Salicylic acid exfoliates the outer layer of the skin but also penetrates down into the pores. This can dissolve the blockages that cause pimples. BHA is an anti-inflammatory, reducing redness. So you can use the same product to reduce the likelihood of developing pimples and speed up the healing process afterwards. Your skin will also look younger and healthier.
3. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more every day.Protect your skin every day from UV exposure. UV rays slows down the skins ability to heal, causing red spots and blemishes to remain visible for longer.
4. Use products loaded with antioxidants and cell-communicating ingredients.These substances help protect your skin against further damage while repairing it. This reduces the risk of inflammation and your skin will also need less time to recover. Vitamin C is a true gift for red spots after breakouts. Our C25 Super Booster is an innovative spot treatment containing a high concentration of 25% ascorbic acid to visibly improve uneven skin tone, red marks and skin texture.
Causes / Triggers / Risk Factors Of Acne
Certain triggers are reported to cause Acne.
- Puberty is the most common trigger
- Lack of sleep or sleep Irregularities
- Hormonal changes
- Certain Medications such as Steroids
- Dandruff can cause pimples on forehead
- Humidity and excessive sweating
- Harsh Environment: Pollution, Aggressive skincare products, toxins, ultraviolet rays
- Smoking and alcohol consumption
- Diet: Dark chocolates, food containing high sugar content or sweets and excessive use of milk products may worsen acne
Don’t Miss: Why Does Dairy Cause Acne
What Is Acne And What Causes Acne Scars
If you are reading this and are feeling overwhelmed by your acne, rest assured, you are not alone. Acne is a common skin condition. It is, in fact, one of the top three skin conditions that affects around 85% of young adults, especially in Western Europe or North America . The prevalence of acne is on the rise, and the scientific community is unable to determine its cause and it could be due to environmental factors or earlier onset of puberty.
The medical definition of acne is chronic inflammatory disease of the pilosebaceous unit resulting from androgen-induced increased sebum production, altered keratinization, inflammation and bacterial colonization of hair follicles by Propionibacterium acnes. In simple words, acne is caused due to an excess of sebum in the hair follicles, and is the reason why acne occurs mostly on the face, neck, chest, and the back where the density of sebaceous gland and hair follicle is high.
This excessive oil production is driven by hormones, which is why acne affects about all adolescents during a period when their hormonal levels are skyrocketing. For example, your skin type may be a predictor of acne since naturally oily skin is more prone to severe acne. Severe acne is also common in boys and men, not just in girls and women .It is thought that factors such as skin hygiene, diet , sunlight or stress could cause acne outbreaks. However, there is limited scientific or medical evidence to support or refute these claims .
How To Make A Scrub At Home
Exfoliation is the process of removing the top layer of dead skin cells. It may reduce the appearance of scars and discoloration, but more research needs to be done on its ability to treat acne.
The relationship between diet and acne has been debated for years.
Research suggests that dietary factors, such as insulin and glycemic index, may be associated with acne .
A foods glycemic index is a measure of how quickly it raises your blood sugar.
Eating high GI foods causes a spike in insulin, which likely increases sebum production. As a result, high GI foods may directly affect the development and severity of acne.
Foods with a high glycemic index include processed foods, such as:
- white bread
- whole or minimally processed grains
In one study, 66 people followed either a normal or low glycemic diet. After 2 weeks, the individuals consuming a low glycemic diet had lower levels of insulin-like growth factor-1 , a hormone involved in acne development .
Another study in 64 people found that those with moderate or severe acne ate diets with more carbohydrates and a higher glycemic load than those without acne .
These small studies suggest that a low glycemic diet may help those with acne-prone skin. Additional larger, longer studies are needed.
The relationship between dairy and acne is highly controversial.
Recommended Reading: Do Certain Foods Cause Acne
How To Get Rid Ofacne Scars And Red Or Brown Marks
Acne can leave unsightly scars and red or brown marks which may dent your confidence, but theres plenty you can do to prevent and fade them: Dont pick or squeeze spots Ditch soap and scrubs in favour of gentle micellar waters or foaming washes Opt for expert daily skincare recommended by dermatologists such as the EFFACLAR range Use a non-comedogenic oil-free moisturiser with SPF Avoid super concentrated at-home AHA peels, which can cause irritation Consult a dermatologist to consider peels, microdermabrasion and other in-office treatments
What Are The Different Types Of Acne Scars
Due to its inflammatory and bacterial aspects, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation after acne is considered its own category in the world of discoloration and scarring. “This differs from sunspots or hyperpigmentation that is the result of an increase in melanin from UV exposure and environmental stressors lead to free-radical damage that can manifest as brown spots,” Dr. Sarkar explains.
If there’s been too much skin warping by the original pimple, it may cause a scar that looks indented. Or on the other end of the texture spectrum, “when the blemish heals a little too well, you can get an excess of skin added that forms a bump or raised scar,” says Dr. Sarkar. “Either way, acne scars cause a textural change that leaves hills and valleys on the face that bother people greatly.”
Acne scars are slightly different than other pigmentation and texture changes. Many people can have acne without any resulting scab or textural change. “The lesions that tend to form scars are the ones that are really inflamed or really large,” says Dr. Sarkar. She notes that the deeper, more painful acne bumps that have a lot of contents within them tend to be the ones that leave a mark or scab behind. “The worse the acne, the more likely your skin is to have acne scarring,” Dr. Sakar adds.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Acne Scars On Neck
Acne Scar Treatment No: Retinol
Also known as vitamin A, retinol goes hand in hand with anti-ageing treatments but can also be used to unclog pores and fade scars. Its a more gradual treatment but is popular for leaving skin looking brighter and smoother.
Associate Professor of Clinical Dermatology at USC, Keck School of Medicine, Dr Nada Elbuluk explains the benefits: ‘Many darker skin patients who develop dark spots also known as hyperpigmentation, may refer to them as “scars”. For others, acne scars can refer to textural changes in the skin such as indentations and uneven skin texture. If it’s the former, then we often treat with products such as retinoids which can help with evening out skin tone and treating acne. If it’s more of a textural change, retinoids can also help but typically a resurfacing treatment is also needed’.
Avoid if you have rosacea – it can upset and irritate.
Do trybakuchiol – it’s a natural alternative rich in vitamin C and E that works to provide the same brightening results.
Different Types Of Acne
Scars from acne can seem like double punishment first you had to deal with the pimples, now you have marks as a reminder.
Acne lesions happen when the hair follicles on the skin become plugged with oil and dead skin cells. A plugged follicle is the perfect place for bacteria to grow and create the red bumps and pus-filled red bumps known as pimples.
Acne comes in different forms:
- mild acne: this causes the whiteheads or blackheads that most of us get at some point
- moderate acne: this can cause red, inflamed pimples and red pimples with white centers
- severe acne: this causes painful, pus-filled cysts or lumps under the skin
Most serious scarring is caused by the more severe forms of acne, with nodules more likely to leave permanent scars than other types of acne.
The best approach is to get treatment for acne soon after it appears to prevent further severe acne and more scarring. If you have nodules, see your doctor or dermatologist for treatment.
Read Also: How To Help Acne On Chin
How Can You Prevent Acne Scars From Forming
It is easier said than done. No spots means no scars, and if the solution to acne was simple, well, there would be no article. But, as with 99.9% of skincare concerns: “Prevention is much better than cure,” stresses Dr Fabusiwa. “The best way to prevent acne scarring is to prevent the acne in the first place. To do this, one must have a diligent skincare routine that includes elements that focus on oil control and reducing inflammation.”
Honey Turmeric And Lemon
And in comes another skin hero to slaughter the dark spots!! Honey & turmeric is known as a legendary home remedy for being proficient at scars and wound healing. To your surprise, it also has amazing skin lightening, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Lemon is infused with citric acid that works like magic to eliminate melanin from the skin and lighten the dark spots. Dont you think using honey, turmeric, and lemon is the best tip for removing dark spots? Lets check out the simple steps to use this face mask.As an additional tip, if you want to increase the potency of any face mask, face steam will help you to open up the skin pores & clear impurities to faster absorption of nutrients into the skin.
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 tbsp of turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
How To Use:
Read Also: How To Treat Baby Acne And Dry Skin
Things You Can Try If You Have Acne
These self-help techniques may be useful:
- Do not wash affected areas of skin more than twice a day. Frequent washing can irritate the skin and make symptoms worse.
- Wash the affected area with a mild soap or cleanser and lukewarm water. Very hot or cold water can make acne worse.
- Do not try to “clean out” blackheads or squeeze spots. This can make them worse and cause permanent scarring.
- Avoid using too much make-up and cosmetics. Use water-based products that are described as non-comedogenic. This means the product is less likely to block the pores in your skin.
- Completely remove make-up before going to bed.
- If dry skin is a problem, use a fragrance-free water-based emollient.
- Regular exercise cannot improve your acne, but it can boost your mood and improve your self-esteem. Shower as soon as possible once you finish exercising as sweat can irritate your acne.
- Wash your hair regularly and try to avoid letting your hair fall across your face.
Although acne cannot be cured, it can be controlled with treatment.
If you develop mild acne, it’s a good idea to speak to a pharmacist for advice.
Several creams, lotions and gels for treating spots are available to buy from pharmacies.
Products containing a low concentration of benzoyl peroxide may be recommended, but be careful as this can bleach clothing.
If your acne is severe or appears on your chest and back, it may need to be treated with antibiotics or stronger creams that are only available on prescription.
Getting Rid Of Face Scabs
There it is, staring right back at you in the mirror. It feels like it could be so easy just to get rid of that scab, using your fingers to pick it off. Dont do it!
Youve heard that picking can leave to scarring, and its true.
When your skin is damaged, your body begins the repair process by promoting blood clotting and increasing the presence of epidermal skin cells at the site of injury. Prematurely removing the blood clot and extra epidermal skin interrupts the skin-healing process. In fact, youre removing some of the newly generated tissue underneath the scab thats why you can get those characteristic acne scars.1
What you want to do is gently soothe pimple scabs and bumps. Thats because acne scabs promote irritation in your skin.2 And the more severe and long-lasting this irritation is, the more likely you may be to develop a scar. So, do not pick but do try to bring down the irritation as quickly as possible.
How can you do this? Well, there are a few ways you can stimulate your skins repair process. This will help get rid of those scabs sooner than later, possibly preventing the development of scars. And youll feel confident about your complexion again.
Here are some easy, at-home remedies to try:
Recommended Reading: How To Cure Acne Blemishes