Powerful Home Remedies For Acne
Acne is one of the most common skin conditions in the world, affecting an estimated 85% of young adults .
Conventional acne treatments like salicylic acid, niacinamide, or benzoyl peroxide are proven to be the most effective acne solutions, but they can be expensive and have undesirable side effects, such as dryness, redness, and irritation.
This has prompted many people to look into remedies to cure acne naturally at home. In fact, one study found that 77% of acne patients had tried alternative acne treatments .
Many home remedies lack scientific backing, and further research on their effectiveness is needed. If youre looking for alternative treatments, though, there are still options you can try.
This article explores 13 popular home remedies for acne.
How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars
Acne scar treatments are best handled with special attention and care from your dermatologist since they require more intense procedures than over-the-counter options. The downside: Treatments tend to be expensive. If you aren’t quite ready to put a dent in your savings, know that you aren’t alone in your struggle with acne scars. Just by reframing your way of thinking, you may even learn to feel much more comfortable with them.
If you feel a stress pimple rearing its ugly head, a steroid shot can be administered the same day you call your derm because the process is very fast. Not only does it immediately reduce the inflammation of an existing zit, but cortisone can also help thick scars appear softer and flatter. “These are specifically for raised scars, however,” says Dr. Shah. “It’ll help flatten out the scar, but it won’t do anything to any discrepancies in the texture.”
This scar filler from Dermaflage is basically a temporary dermal filler. It’s a great low-cost, temporary solution if you’re dealing with acne scars. You apply the scar filler like makeup, and it comes off easily when you’re ready to remove it.
Paulas Choice 2% Bha Salicylic Acid Exfoliant
Exfoliate away your persistent forehead acne and blackheads
Paulas Choice 2% BHA is formulated specifically for use on blackheads and enlarged pores. It is the ideal product for getting rid of forehead acne.
- How to use: After cleansing your skin, dispense a quarter size amount to a cotton pad and gently wipe your entire face, making sure to cover all areas. Follow up with your favorite moisturizer.
- How it works to prevent and get rid of forehead acne: The gentle, and non-abrasive exfoliant is designed to be left on the skin. The beta hydroxy acid works to unclog pores and reduce the appearance of large pores. In short, the skin becomes clearer and brighter with a more even tone throughout.
- What to expect: Designed for all skin types, this non-irritating and fragrance-free product is recommended for up to twice daily use to achieve maximum results. However, you should start with a single application and work your way up.
Don’t Miss: How To Stop Cystic Acne From Growing
Is It Possible To Prevent Acne Scarring
Yes, there are certain things you can do, but unfortunately, some people are more prone to scarring than others. To reduce your chances of developing scars where your pimples used to be, avoid manipulating and picking at your pimples, recommends Dr. Gohara. Instead, focus on keeping your face cleanshe suggests with the mild Dove beauty barand your acne treated.
You might also give a retinoid cream a try. The vitamin-A-packed treatment helps boost collagen production which can help plump up the skin so that scars have harder time forming, Dr. Gohara explains. She recommends Differin Gel. Remember, retinoids are available in a variety of intensities. So while an OTC retinoid might work wonders on a friends skin, depending on how prone you are to scarring, you might need something a little stronger that only a dermatologist can prescribe.
Recommended Reading: How To Cure Baby Acne Naturally
How To Treat Acne Scarring
January 8, 2018 By Dr. Plott
Anyone who has really struggled with acne knows the frustration pimples bring. For some, it seems that no matter how much they wash their face, they just cant make the bumps go away.
But, whats worse than those glaring red pimples? The blemishes they leave behind. Thankfully, because of acne scar treatment, theres no need to let acne scars cause any more frustration.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Bad Acne
Do Apply A Paste Made Of Crushed Aspirin
Aspirin contains salicylic acid, which is a top-shelf acne fighter by all accounts. Applying a paste made of aspirin immediately removes excess oil and dead skin. In other words, it helps to unclog and dry out your angry pores, while simultaneously reducing swelling and redness. Its one of the home remedies that dermatologists recommend, and it even helps reduce pain at the application site. To make the paste, crush an aspirin with a spoon and swirl it with a few drops of water. Then apply it directly to the pimple.
Causes / Triggers / Risk Factors Of Acne
Certain triggers are reported to cause Acne.
- Puberty is the most common trigger
- Lack of sleep or sleep Irregularities
- Hormonal changes
- Certain Medications such as Steroids
- Dandruff can cause pimples on forehead
- Humidity and excessive sweating
- Harsh Environment: Pollution, Aggressive skincare products, toxins, ultraviolet rays
- Smoking and alcohol consumption
- Diet: Dark chocolates, food containing high sugar content or sweets and excessive use of milk products may worsen acne
Don’t Miss: How Does Diet Affect Acne
Flutamide For Treating Hormonal Acne
Flutamide, which is marketed under the brand name commonly known as Eulexin among a few other options is not just good for curbing excessive hair growth.
Beyond its intended use of treating prostate cancer, flutamide is also a nonsteroidal antiandrogen, which means its capable of acting as a potent acne treatment for hormonal acne known to be androgen-dependent in women.
In the family of Flutamide, you will also find other acne treatments called Nilutamide.
Much like Flutamide, drugs in the Nilutamide category are marketed under very well known brand names Nilandron and Anandron in the transgender community.
Nilandron and Anandron are both nonsteroidal antiandrogen famously used for their feminizing hormone therapy for people undergoing the gender -re-assignment.
The primary use for Nilandron and Anandron actually the treatment of prostate cancer. Yet this oral medication is widely known for being a potent treatment for acne and seborrhea in women.
Here are the common side effects you may want to keep an eye on:
- Hot flashes
- Nausea or vomiting, loss of appetite
- Skin rash
- Vision changes.
With all things said and done, the one common property for these acne medications for treating hormones is that they both work by blocking the effect of androgens on the sebaceous gland and they are both oral contraceptives.
What this means is that they are capable of suppressing ovarian androgen production, glucocorticoids, which cause adrenal
A Light Chemical Peels
You can use this method to treat PIH and get full results after about 48 hours. It treats the dark spots using alpha-hydroxy acids and beta-hydroxy acids like mandelic, glycolic, or salicylic acid. These acids work by dissolving the substance that holds dead skin cells together, hence revealing fresher skin.
Recommended Reading: What Can Doctors Prescribe For Acne
Effective Tips To Get Rid Of Pimples And Pimple Marks
Living with pimples can make you lose confidence. Effective Tips with Dos and donts to keep acne at bay
- Maintain Skin Hygiene
- Cleanse your face twice every day with mild soap/face wash and lukewarm water to remove excess dirt, sweat, and oil
- Dont rub face harshly
- Always moisturize the skin with moisturizer after washing
Dos & Dont To Avoid Acne Scarring
- Do not pop or squeeze acne spots resist the urge at all costs no matter how juicy or ripe a pesky breakout looks. Touching the area can help spread bacteria and dirt across your face, which can lead to infection.
- Do use sunscreen to limit harsh sun exposure even in the UK. UV exposure causes spots to darken so incorporating a daily moisturiser with SPF is an easy way to protect your skin. Products like Simple Kind to Skin+ Protecting Moisture Cream or more sensitive skin like Ambre Solaires are perfect for everyday use.
- Do try and use chemical free products where possible, natural ingredients like vitamin C aids inflammation and fades patches, so products like Viola Skin Vitamin C Serum are great to use regularly.
- Do go to a specialist and get regular facials. Talking to a dermatologist about your skin, can provide a wealth of advice if youre at your wits end. Professional treatments such as Intense Pulsed Light Microdermabrasion are expert ways to reduce scars and wrinkles over time.
- Do drink plenty of water it is one of the easiest and most effective ways to flush toxins out of your body and leave you with clearer skin. And it is free.
Read Also: Can Honey Get Rid Of Acne Scars
Add A Spot Treatment To Your Routine
If youre more concerned with treating a single stubborn zit than looking for products to prevent them from appearing in the first place, make sure you have a spot treatment on hand.
There are tons of over-the-counter acne spot treatments on the market, says NYC-based board-certified dermatologist and Galderma consultant Michelle Henry. You should look for acne products with the ingredients salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxidesalicylic acid penetrates and clears out pores while benzoyl peroxide plays a role in treating the bacteria that causes acne.
Schedule An Acne Scar Treatment Today
If youre ready to start the process of removing your scars, rest assured, youre in good hands. For an acne scar treatment in Dallas, just give us a call and well help you choose the treatment thats best for you.
We start with a consultation. An esthetician will examine your skin to determine your skin type and the severity of your scarring. Then theyll decide how many treatments youll need. Typically, dark skin requires more treatments. Because dark skin is more prone to produce pigment, we reduce the amount of energy for each treatment. That way, youll avoid dark pigmented areas after your treatment.
Youll also learn how to prepare for your treatment. Well give you products to apply before your procedure to prime your skin and avoid pigmentation. Youll also receive information on pain medication and the downtime youll need as you recover. If you decide to take time off work, you can schedule your procedures before a weekend or take a few days off.
After your treatment, have your sunscreen ready. Youll need to apply it heavily in the weeks following your procedure to avoid over-pigmentation.
If youre a victim of acne scars, theres no need to live with skin blemishes of the past. Laser treatments work at a deep level to leave you with beautiful smooth skin, and Rejuvapen delivers great results at a fraction of the cost. Contact us to discover the best choice for your skin!
You May Like: Is Sun Good For Acne
What Is Acne Scarring
Acne scars are the result of breakouts caused by skin pores blocked with dead cells, excess oil, and bacteria. Blocking leads to swelling of the pores, which may cause breakage in the follicle wall. This can create deep or shallow lesions that prominently appear on the skin.
Shallow lesions are usually minor and heals faster than the deep ones. Deep breakage in the wall of the pore increases the risk of spilling out the infected material into the surrounding tissues thus creating deeper lesions. Your skin tries to repair these lesions by forming new collagen fibers. However, these repairs arent smooth compared to your original skin.
Did You Know?
Acne scars on the face, back, chest are common. About 80% of people aged between 11-30 years get acne and at least 1 out of those 5 people develop scars.
Forehead Acne Causes And Corresponding Home Remedies To Clear Acne And Pimples On Forehead
There are many causes for occurrence of pimples and acne on forehead. The main reasons that trigger them are given below:
1. Clogged Pores: This is the prime cause for acne trigger and pimple development anywhere. The forehead lies in the T-zone, the most oil producing area, resulting into the pores located on the forehead to get clogged more likely leading to acne trigger. The remedy is to steam your face, including forehead, once or twice a month. But take care to not to overdo steaming, as excessive steaming is not advisable for acne prone skin.
2. Hair Dandruff: Hair Dandruff is also a prime cause for acne and pimples on forehead. The most effective remedy is getting rid of dandruff by using a good quality anti-dandruff shampoo, and wow your forehead acne will disappear fast.
3. Oily Scalp: An oily scalp tends to dribble oil on the forehead that can cause clogged pores and thus pimples can occur on your forehead. If this is the reason for your forehead pimples, the best natural remedy is to wash your hair more often to keep your scalp oil-free.
4. Certain Medications: Some medications, such as birth control pills, have a tendency to cause pimples or acne on the forehead in case of certain people. The remedy in such cases is to consult your doctor and check the medicines side effects concerning hormonal issues.
Read Also: How Can I Get Rid Of Acne
Acne Marks Vs Acne Scars
Most pimples leave behind evidence. Our hope is that their marks are superficial. If your skin remains smooth in dark or red areas, you simply have an acne mark. Those marks are not scars they are just temporarily discolored. It usually takes 3-6 months for the marks to disappear.
However, if you have a scar, youre dealing with permanent skin damage that needs treatment in order to disappear. An acne scar changes the texture of the skin. If acne has left indentations, or raised spots, the damage has occurred at a deeper level in the skin. This cobblestoning effect indicates scarring that needs more than a surface-level treatment.
The best intervention for smooth skin is prevention. If youre experiencing acne, you need to take steps to keep these scars from occurring. Treat new acne immediately, working with your dermatologist to find the best treatment option for you. And dont pop pimples! Youll just create more long-term damage.
If you notice that your skin remains bumpy after a pimple has cleared, visit your dermatologist for an early treatment plan. The ultimate goal is to stop the scars from forming.
Removing Pitted Or Raised Scars
You May Like: How To Rid Of Back Acne
Heal Zit Scars By Using Special Gels
Another method to get rid of pimple scars is to fill them with special agents. One of the substances that work well is hyaluronic acid or collagen. Another way is to use fat suspension to fill the scars.
Hyaluronic acid is usually used to fill up wrinkles. People have recently started to use it for erasing scars left by acne, especially for flat or not too deep scars. The injections with hyaluronic acid will have visible effects right away after the session. This biomaterial is processed by the skin so that after a few months, the scars must be filled again.
Collagen represents the substructure of the dermis. Collagen fibers offer skin resistance and flexibility. Collagen injections are not painful and offer a visible effect right after the treatment.
The last option is to choose a fat suspension to fill the scars. The fat suspension can be made with your own fat by a doctor in the operating room. Either one of these options will help you to heal zit scars quickly.
Injections For Acne Scars
Injections are used for a variety of cosmetic treatments. Steroid injections are the most common and are used for raised pimple scars.
Steroid injections soften and flatten swollen scars. Injection treatments often require multiple visits. More intensive treatment may be required if your scars donât respond to the injections.
Recommended Reading: Does Lemon Water Help With Acne