Use A Body Wash That Contains Salicylic Acid To Reduce Inflammation And Pimple
Washing your body after you work out, go for a walk, or any activity that causes profuse sweating is crucial to cutting down on your acne across your body.
Dr. Shereene Idriss, a dermatologist in New York City, told Teen Vogue that, while taking a break after you exercise might seem nice, sitting in sweaty workout clothing could clog your pores, trapping dirt and oil in them.
If you want to take a more aggressive approach to the acne on your butt, consider using a body wash that contains salicylic acid. As Insider previously reported, salicylic acid helps combat acne by killing the bacteria that causes acne and breaking down dirt and debris in your pores.
How Do You Treat Butt Acne
To treat butt acne you need to first identify what type it is. Is there a particular area where butt acne occurs more often than other spots or can acne be found all over your buttocks? If acne has only occurred in one general location then treatment will depend on whether folliculitis is present. If butt acne affects different areas at once then an antibiotic topical ointment may help clear up skin redness and bumps caused by pimples filled with pus.
If your buttock acne is not severe, it may be cleared up with over-the-counter creams or ointments. Be sure to read the labels on these products and choose one that’s designed for buttock acne before applying topically. You can also use a medicated cream if your buttock acne has spreadthere are many different types available including benzoyl peroxide, tretinoin , azelaic acid, and salicylic acid, among others. Ask your dermatologist about which product will work best for you based on the severity of your butt acne.
Two of the most common over-the-counter treatments are benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, which should be applied to the skin one time daily after washing the area with soap and water first. They are typically found in gel-based or cream form, as well as in acne washes for more difficult cases. These products have been shown to keep bacterial levels down while also drying out pimples, on top of helping acne heal faster than it would without medication.
Shower Asap After Exercise
Sweat that gets trapped against the skin and then dries can be highly irritating to hair follicles and create a breeding ground for bacteria. Try to schedule workouts and other physical activities so that you can get in a shower immediately after. Don’t stop by the grocery store or the library until you’ve lathered up and changed clothes.
Biking, rowing, spin classes, and other activities that are performed while sitting can create friction on the skin of the buttocks that may exacerbate butt acne. In these cases, it may be best to switch to an alternative activity until the breakout heals.
Recommended Reading: How Can I Clear My Back Acne
What Are Pimples On The Butt
While everyone gets pimples once in a while, most people associate pimples with the transitional teenage years, where our body chemistry changes. However, pimples form when a pore becomes clogged, no matter how old you are.
On your butt, the lesions that form usually come due to bacteria that get into hair follicles and pores, rather than skin cells clogging them. This is called folliculitis or, more commonly, butt acne.
While many bacteria can enter follicles and cause infections, Staphylococcus aureus is the most common cause. As the infection grows, bumps form. Sometimes, the bumps are filled with white pus, and other times they aren’t.
While not generally life-threatening, some circumstances would cause you to see your doctor for butt pimples. It’s important to know the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of these lesions so you can get help if they become infected, don’t heal, or keep coming back.
How Do I Get Rid Of Pimples On My Bum
With buttne, prevention is key. So try some self-care steps to keep the condition at bay like exfoliation, and don’t forget to moisturize:
- Tight Isnt Always Right: Try to skip tight clothing if you can. This will reduce friction against the skin and wont allow for the trapping of heat or sweat.
- Shower Power: Keeping your glutes glistening will help reduce the chance of bacteria spreading or infections from forming.
- Avoid Shaving and Waxing: We all want smooth operators back there, but shaving could actually make it a whole lot worse. Besides, peaches have fuzz and we think thats cute.
- Practice Good Butt Skin Care: Just like your face, you should have a routine that promotes healthy skin care for your derriere. This could include washing, exfoliating dead skin cells, and moisturizing daily. Make sure to exfoliate gently so you avoid tearing the sensitive skin on your booty. If you’re worried about clogging your skin, find a gel moisturizer instead of a heavy cream.
If you do find yourself with a case of this common skin condition, take these steps to treat it without causing permanent scarring and dark spots, or hyperpigmentation:
Watch for the Red Flag: Remember that red flag of tender, itchy, or burning skin? Well, thats your cue to clean it up! Youll want to gently but thoroughly cleanse the area. Then, apply a soothing lotion. If the itchy area is really bothering you, you can apply an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream.
Read Also: Why Is My Baby’s Acne So Bad
Fraxel Laser Treatment For Hyperpigmentation
The Fraxel laser is a cutting-edge laser treatment that can be used to treat acne scars as well as address a host of other skin concerns. Not only will Fraxel improve the appearance of acne scars, it can also be used to reduce sun spots and facial hyperpigmentation and to minimize the appearance of fine lines, enlarged pores, and wrinkles. Dr. Green refers to the Fraxel as the magic eraser because of its unique ability to effectively treat a wide array of skin issues. Fraxel works via a fractionated laser technology, meaning it precisely treats just a fraction of the skin at a time. The laser employs highly concentrated, controlled laser pulses to the skin, creating thousands of microscopic wounds. The bodys natural wound healing process then promotes the production of new collagen and elastin in the skin, creating a smoother, more radiant, youthful looking appearance.
What Are The Best Natural Remedies For Butt Acne
Home remedies seem appealing, but unfortunately, these are usually less effective than medical-grade acne medications. Having said that, the combination of pharmaceutical-grade ingredients such as salicylic acidantibacterialbenzoyl peroxide could be very beneficial for the treatment of bumps or butt and other areas on the body.
When you are looking for body treatment cream with natural plant-based ingredients, look for creams that include Tea tree oil , Green tea extract , Cucumber extract and Licorice extract that helps prevent and fade after acne brown spots.
Read Also: What Can You Do To Get Rid Of Acne
Coffee Bean Brew & Natural Coconut Oil
When it comes to treating cellulite naturally, coffee is your go-to ingredient. For this scrub, you can either crush coffee beans manually or use coffee powder – whatever floats your boat. The coconut oil will keep your skin moisturized and hydrated.
Step 1: Add 2 tablespoons of coffee powder in a bowl.
Step 2: Add 1½ tablespoon of coconut oil to the powder.
Step 3: Stir well and apply the scrub to your butt and thighs.
Step 4: Scrub for about 5 minutes, and rinse off later.
Twice a month for the best results.
Use A Benzoyl Peroxide Body Wash
Both Dr. Libby and Dr. Idriss recommend cleansing the area with an acne wash like PanOxyl, which uses 10% benzoyl peroxidean MVP atkilling acne-causing bacteria, unclogging pores, and reducing inflammation. If you have active bumps, Dr. Libby says to apply the product onto your breakouts once daily in the shower and suggests waiting two to three minutes before washing it off to give the ingredient enough time to work without irritating the skin. And if you get these bumps regularly, Dr. Libby also recommends incorporating the benzoyl peroxide wash into your routine once a week in between breakouts to keep them at bay.
Heads up, though: Benzoyl peroxide is equally as known for bleaching fabrics as it is for clearing your skin, so if you dont want to risk ruining your favorite bath towels, make sure to rinse your skin really well after cleansing or designate a set of sheets, clothes, underwearwhateverso you dont have to pick your battles.
Recommended Reading: How To Help Baby Acne And Dry Skin
What Does Folliculitis Look Like
Folliculitis and acne are easily confused, because they really do look similar to the untrained eye , but there are a few key differences a dermatologist can easily spot:
- What acne looks like: Acne is defined by having comedones, which are blackheads and whiteheads,” says Dr. Rabach. Basically, acne looks like…acne. A mix of little whiteheads, maybe some blackheads, maybe a cystic zit, maybe some painful, inflamed bumps.
- What folliculitis looks like: “Folliculitis has a hair in the center of a red bump, and the white material associated with the bump is often dead skin and white blood cells, says Dr. Rabach. It might look like a small whitehead, but usually it won’t be just a single bumpyou’ll likely have a smattering of same-size, whitehead-looking bumps .
That said, there are instances where patients do get real zits on their butts, which is why both Dr. Idriss and Dr. Rabach agree that you should see a derm to find out exactly whats really going on and treat it the right way.
How To Treat Acne On The Buttocks Naturally
Many patients choose to supplement their medical treatments with a number of home remedies, including natural treatment options, that can can help to further reduce the appearance of any pimples on the buttocks. Though a medical treatment approach tends to reduce the appearance of butt acne more quickly, there are several natural treatment methods that some patients like to use, too:
- Tea tree oil has natural antimicrobial properties that make it effective against acne breakouts.
- Turmeric paste can help fight against bacteria that leads to the formation of body acne.
- An apple cider vinegar bath contains acetic acid which may combat folliculitis-causing bacteria.
- Choosing a fragrance-free, lightweight body lotion as opposed to one with fragrance or a thick cream.
- Applying a warm compress to the skin in order to open up and clear out follicles of the skin can help loosen and clear out any butt acne. To make a warm compress, place a washcloth under warm water and wring out the excess water. You can add various drying agents to the water to help treat the butt acne.
- A saltwater sitz bath can help to soothe and sterilize the irritated area, as well as help to treat minor infections.
Don’t Miss: How To Remove Red Acne Scars
What Causes Pimples On Your Butt Exactly
Whether youre dealing with actual zits or folliculitis, you can usually blame the bumps on a range of factors, including lots of moisture , excess friction from tight-fitting clothing, sitting for prolonged periods of time, and improper showering and cleansing of your backside, says Dr. Goldenberg says.
Question 7question 7 Of : How Do I Prevent Future Breakouts
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Acne Around Mouth
So What Causes Butt Acne
There are a number of reasons why pimples can appear on your backend.
Wearing tight-fitting clothing, especially in fabrics which dont breathe, causes butt acne, as does waxing or shaving improperly, as the hair is removed and the ingrown hairs get trapped and inflamed and lead to a folliculitis in the area, explains Dr. Green.
Not immediately washing after a grueling workout or just after sweating in general can also lead to acne on your behind, and unfortunately, doing nothing at all can also be a source.
Sitting all day on your buttocks can cause friction and lead to butt acne as well, says Dr. Green
So if anything, let this be another reason to take a break from your computer and go for a walk once in awhile.
Lemon Juice For Dark Spots
Lemon juice has been used as an organic bleaching agent to lighten dark spots for a long time. This is because Lemon is acidic in nature. Its, therefore, a very strong exfoliating agent.
- Squeeze the juice out of one lemon
- Use a cotton ball to rub the juice directly on the dark spots on your butt.
- Leave it for 8-1o minutes to dry then rinse it off with clean water.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Know You Have Hormonal Acne
Invest In An Led Device
They don’t just look cool, they actually work. LED light therapy can be used to alleviate a number of skin ailments, including acne. Doyle recommends the Eterno LED Device specifically. “The Eterno LED Device is an FDA cleared device that uses NASA LED red lights to penetrate deep into the skin and can be used to massage the topical into the area, increasing the penetration and thus, the benefit of the topical treatment,” she says. “The red light component helps to reduce inflammation , which also improves the appearance of the skin.”
Should I Use A Moisturizer For My Butt Acne
Rich, nourishing moisturizers, while excellent for providing hydration to the skin, can sometimes cause or exacerbate irritation associated with folliculitis and butt acne. Also, heavy moisturizing creams can further clog the pores and worsen your butt breakout. However, using certain targeted treatment lotions can help!
Body lotions containing lactic acid can be useful for loosening and eliminating dead skin cells from the surface of skin. Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid, which works by both re-hydrating and also gently exfoliating the skin. This ingredient helps to keep the skins pores clean and in turn, reduces the appearance of folliculitis and butt acne. AmLactin is just one variety of lactic acid body lotion that can easily be purchased through Amazon or any other large retailer. Lactic acid lotion can also be used in combination with skincare products containing ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and tea tree oil to help resolve butt acne breakouts.
Read Also: How To Treat Hormonal Acne Naturally
Acne Cleansers For Butt Acne Breakouts
When looking for cleansers to treat butt acne, choosing washes and cleansers with benzoyl peroxide can be very effective. A benzoyl peroxide body wash can be an excellent way to eliminate butt acne. Benzoyl peroxide can be found in many over-the-counter products designed for facial acne, such as Neutrogena acne face wash, but it also help to treat conditions like folliculitis due to its antimicrobial formulation. When you use benzoyl peroxide products, its best to leave the product on for thirty seconds, then wash clean using a white towel .
What Causes Acne On Butt
In short, anything that causes friction can cause these butt bumps. And if you feel like your butt acne is more prevalent in the summerexactly when you might be choosing to show off your buttyoure right. Wet clothes, like a bathing suit or sweaty workout leggings, are two main offenders that lead to folliculitis. But don’t stress! You don’t have to swear off swimming and yoga forever. You just gotta know the right ways to go about your everyday life.
Don’t Miss: When Does Newborn Acne Go Away
What Causes Butt Acne Anyway
Buttne is usually caused by a combination of clogged hair follicles and a bacterial infection. But, most of the time, you can blame your booty bumps on blocked follicles, says Gary Goldenberg, MD, assistant clinical professor of dermatology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital. Below are a few reasons you might end up with butt bumps.Warning: They can range from gross to “wait, seriously?”
1. Hormones: Dr. Heather Woolery-Lloyd, board-certified dermatologist, explains that there is a hormonal component to butt acne. Even though other factors can contribute or exacerbate the overgrowth of bacteria that can lead to inflamed hair follicles , hormones can still play major role, she says. “Hormonal changes can make the lining of the follicles more sticky and lead to clogged pores and pimples. Androgens are the hormones that are most likely to do this.”
2. Keeping your wet, sweaty clothes on after you’ve hit the gym: Your sweat can dry over your pores, trapping dirt and dust, and leave bumps in their wake. Change your clothes and hop in the shower ASAP after you work out. If you don’t have time for a full shower, do a quick cleanse to get rid of bacteria and sweatwith a wipe, like Degree Deodorant Wipes.
3. Not changing your undies daily: Not-fresh underwear puts acne-promoting dirt, sweat, and oil up close and personal with your skin. Make sure to put on a new pair every day.