Why Do I Have Acne
Acne is most commonly linked to the changes in hormone levels during puberty, but can start at any age.
Certain hormones cause the grease-producing glands next to hair follicles in the skin to produce larger amounts of oil .
This abnormal sebum changes the activity of a usually harmless skin bacterium called P. acnes, which becomes more aggressive and causes inflammation and pus.
The hormones also thicken the inner lining of the hair follicle, causing blockage of the pores. Cleaning the skin does not help to remove this blockage.
How To Get Rid Of Back Acne Scars
Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation is treated with hydroquinone, a skin bleaching agent. Particularly dark patches of hyperpigmentation can be lightened with laser therapy and chemical peels.
Get To Grips With Salicylic
Acids can be beneficial in anyregime, but leave-on BHAs like salicylic acid play an especially important role in controlling overzealous oil production, which in turn minimises the development of blackheads and blemishes.
‘Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid which is lipophilic, meaning it is attracted to and helps to break down excess oil,’ says Pfeffer. ‘As an added bonus, its anti-inflammatory and can penetrate pores to scoop out any debris, making it a great ingredient for targeting the congestion that often comes with oiliness.’
The best way to incorporate salicylic acid into your routine is with a daily exfoliant, swiped over skin after cleansing. Just don’t make the mistake of rinsing it off: it’ll be nowhere near as effective at sweeping away any greasiness. If you’re using a salicylic acid cleanser instead, leave it on for two minutes before washing .
Recommended Reading: Does Differin Help With Acne Scars
Causes / Triggers / Risk Factors Of Acne
Certain triggers are reported to cause Acne.
- Puberty is the most common trigger
- Lack of sleep or sleep Irregularities
- Hormonal changes
- Certain Medications such as Steroids
- Dandruff can cause pimples on forehead
- Humidity and excessive sweating
- Harsh Environment: Pollution, Aggressive skincare products, toxins, ultraviolet rays
- Smoking and alcohol consumption
- Diet: Dark chocolates, food containing high sugar content or sweets and excessive use of milk products may worsen acne
Tomato And Gram Flour
The natural acids found in tomatoes act as bleaching agents, which in turn can help lighten the tan, dark spots, and hyper-pigmented areas. Whats more, tomato juice also helps maintain the skins pH balance and the associated natural sebum production. Gram flour or besan, on the other hand, helps absorb oil and helps remove any dirt or toxin from deep within the pores. Take two tablespoons of besan and squeeze out the juice of half a tomato. Mix well until it forms a thick paste. Apply this on the affected areas of your face. This pack not only helps heal acne but also in getting rid of any scars and marks.
Recommended Reading: Can Stress Cause Acne On Face
Using Your Smartphone Too Often
What you’re doing wrong
Smartphones are one of the common causes of breakouts. This is because when your phone is placed on skin while talking to someone, you press bacteria, dust, dirt and other unwanted particles into your pores, which could ultimately result in pimples.
How to fix it
You could consider using your earphones to keep a check on breakouts.
Skin Care Tips For Dry Skin
Dry skin can be difficult to work with. Try these tips to keep your skin feeling hydrated.
- Moisturize damp skin to lock in moisture.
- Avoid hot water.
- Reduce caffeine and salt. They can make dry skin worse.
- Always have a lip balm with you. Your lips will probably get dry throughout the day.
- Hydrate with a face mask once per week, followed by your moisturizer.
- Facial oil nightly after your moisturizer is your best friend.
Also Check: What Is The Best Makeup To Cover Acne
Things You Can Try If You Have Acne
These self-help techniques may be useful:
- Do not wash affected areas of skin more than twice a day. Frequent washing can irritate the skin and make symptoms worse.
- Wash the affected area with a mild soap or cleanser and lukewarm water. Very hot or cold water can make acne worse.
- Do not try to “clean out” blackheads or squeeze spots. This can make them worse and cause permanent scarring.
- Avoid using too much make-up and cosmetics. Use water-based products that are described as non-comedogenic. This means the product is less likely to block the pores in your skin.
- Completely remove make-up before going to bed.
- If dry skin is a problem, use a fragrance-free water-based emollient.
- Regular exercise cannot improve your acne, but it can boost your mood and improve your self-esteem. Shower as soon as possible once you finish exercising as sweat can irritate your acne.
- Wash your hair regularly and try to avoid letting your hair fall across your face.
Although acne cannot be cured, it can be controlled with treatment.
If you develop mild acne, it’s a good idea to speak to a pharmacist for advice.
Several creams, lotions and gels for treating spots are available to buy from pharmacies.
Products containing a low concentration of benzoyl peroxide may be recommended, but be careful as this can bleach clothing.
If your acne is severe or appears on your chest and back, it may need to be treated with antibiotics or stronger creams that are only available on prescription.
Cucumbers To Treat Oily Skin At Home
Cucumber is another ingredient which is also quite beneficial for oily skin treatment. Cucumbers are known for their astringent, soothing, and cooling properties. Plus, it has a high amount of Vitamins and Minerals content. It contains Vitamins A and Vitamin E, Potassium and Magnesium, that are good for oily skin.
- Next morning, wash your face with warm water.
- Repeat this method daily before going to bed to prevent oil skin.
Don’t Miss: How Long Does It Take To Get Rid Of Acne
What Causes Back Acne
Back acne, sometimes referred to as bacne, is a common type of body acne. It has many of the same causes as facial acne including hormonal fluctuations during puberty or during the menstrual cycle. Diet, stress, and genetics also contribute to breakouts.
Other causes specific to back acne include not showering after working out, wearing tight, nonbreathable clothing that traps sweat against the skin, oily hair touching the back and comedogenic or pore-clogging sunscreen.
Easy Home Remedies For Acne
Is the secret to clearer skin hiding in your kitchen? Homemade acne treatments from foods such as honey, cucumbers, and grapes may help complement professional treatment from a dermatologist.
Acne can be stubborn and seem to pop up at the worst times. The good news is that over-the-counter and prescription medications can zap pimples and help stop new breakouts. The bad news is that some acne products can cause side effects like redness, discoloration, or dryness, notes the Mayo Clinic. For this reason, some people prefer treating acne at home with natural solutions.
Typically, the more mild the acne, the more easily it can be treated at home, says Joshua Zeichner, MD, director of cosmetic and clinical research in dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. In more severe cases, though especially if there are cysts or nodules professional treatments often are necessary.
For mild acne, you might be surprised to learn that you already have several acne remedies in your own home and in your kitchen of all places.
You can mix common foods and ingredients, such as cucumbers, oatmeal, grapes, and yeast, into a facial mask and create an acne treatment. A homemade facial may help prevent or clear acne, as well as keep your skin glowing, moisturized, and healthy.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Baby Acne On Cheeks
Not Washing Your Face Properly
What you’re doing wrong
It is important to use well-medicated cleansers twice a day, but hard cleansers and washing too frequently can make the acne worse and face drier. Sleeping with makeup on or not washing your face after a sweaty day, also results in an acne breakout.
How to fix it
Keep your face clean and wash it once or twice a day with mild soap or face wash. Make sure to wash your face with a cleanser every night before going to bed. In case you have been affected by acne, then skip the facial scrub. Wipe your skin with an astringent or toner to remove the oil from your skin from time to time. Make sure that any item that comes in direct contact with your face be it towels, or makeup brushes, are washed regularly. This ensures that all the germ buildup on such items gets rinsed out, and doesn’t get transferred to your face. Use separate towels for your hair and face.
Tea Tree + Toothpaste
Fear youre getting a pimple? Dab the offending spot with a little tea tree oil , then cover it with a bit of toothpaste. The tea tree oil is a great all-natural remedy with proven results similar to over-the-counter acne creams, and the toothpaste has an anti-inflammatory effect. Repeat three times a day for an ongoing acne problem.
If you have rosacea, avoid tea tree oil because it may aggravate your condition.
Read Also: Do Certain Foods Cause Acne
Treating Hormonal Acne Naturally
I promise I WILL get to the product regimen part… but first things first: if you tend to break out at certain times of the month , it’s worth a little effort to see if you can re-balance those hormones. Yes, medications like the birth control pill, spironolactone, Accutane and antibiotics can help, but I’m generally against them. They’re short-term fixes with some serious side effects . I’m also on the fence about laser treatmentsthey can work, but again, not necessarily permanently, and they can get REALLY expensive.
Although it’s undoubtedly more challenging, you can do a lot naturally through diet and lifestyle changes to at least lessen the severity of those monthly breakouts.
Natural Products That May Calm Your Acne
If you have oily skin, excess oil can cause blockages in your pores. Acne breakouts are most common on your face and back, but can show up anywhere on your skin. Clogged pores host the bacteria that causes the formation of blackhead and whitehead pimples. If you have bad breakouts resulting in inflammation, redness, and skin breakage, you might end up with scarring.
At Lasercare Skin Clinic, our care team, led by Bruce Sanderson, MD, supports patients dealing with acne problems. Before you come into the office, you might want to try out some of these natural treatments at home. Here are some of the natural products Dr. Sanderson commonly recommends to clear up acne breakouts. You might already have some of these items at home in your pantry or medicine cabinet.
Recommended Reading: Is Dairy Bad For Acne
Not Changing The Pillowcases
What you’re doing wrong
Dirty pillowcases and bedsheets can very well be the cause of acne breakouts. Dirty bedding can cause dirt to settle on our face and skin and end up in clogging pores. The cleaner your bedding, the happier your skin will be.
How to fix it
Try changing your pillow cover once in four days. Moreover, it’s best to choose a pillow cover that is made out of natural fabric.
How To Make A Honey And Cinnamon Mask
Honey and cinnamon have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. They may help reduce acne, but more studies are needed.
Tea tree oil is an essential oil thats extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a small tree native to Australia.
Its well known for its ability to fight bacteria and reduce skin inflammation (
Tea tree oil has strong anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Applying it to the skin may reduce acne.
Also Check: Does Loestrin Help With Acne
How To Get Rid Of Back Acne: Overnight Treatments Natural Remedies And More
May 18, 2021
- Back acne is a common skin condition resulting from a buildup of dead skin cells, oil and bacteria on the skin
- Effective treatments include over the counter medication, lifestyle changes and natural remedies
- More severe back acne can be treated with prescription medication
Acne develops when sebum, the oil naturally produced by the skin, becomes trapped inside a pore along with dead skin cells, dirt and bacteria. One of the most common places for acne to appear is on the upper back, as the skin there has a relatively high number of oil glands.
Oily Skin: Natural Remedies To Make At Home
A persons sebaceous glands produce sebum, an oily substance important for hydrating skin. Mixed with fat molecules, sebum forms a coating on the skins surface, protecting it against bacteria and fungi.
Too much sebum, however, can clog a persons pores, causing the skin to become oily. The condition may also cause acne.
To reduce the appearance of oily skin, a person can use home remedies or over-the-counter products. This article discusses various home remedies for oily skin.
Several home remedies may help a person reduce the appearance of oily skin.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars In Face
Milk To Get Rid Of Oily Skin
Milk is a wonderful oil-free cleanser. It can make your oily skin soft and supple naturally and fast. Like ACV, milk also has Alpha Hydroxy Acids which gently exfoliate the skin and also help in maintaining the skins natural pH balance.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of sandalwood or lavender essential oil in 2 tbsp of milk.
- Using a cotton ball, apply this mixture over your face.
- Now, massage your skin gently for a few minutes. Massaging will help to enhance blood circulation. Leave it on overnight.
- Next morning, rinse your face with cold water.
- Continue this daily.
Q Is It Bad To Squeeze A Pimple
A. No matter how tempting it is to touch or pop your pimple, refrain from doing so! Touching the pimple often leads to inflammation, undesirable pigmentation and scarring. Frequent contact between your unclean hands and face could transfer bacteria, dust and dirt, and eventually result in a breakout. Therefore, it’s important that you keep your hands off your face at all times.
Read Also: When Does Pregnancy Acne Start
Aloe Vera And Turmeric
While turmeric is an excellent exfoliating agent and contains anti-bacterial properties, aloe vera helps soothe the skin due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Together, they help in clearing skin and fading acne scars. Using a spoon, extract some fresh aloe vera gel from a cut leaf and add a pinch or two of turmeric. After mixing well, apply directly over the affected areas and leave on for a few minutes. Wash and wipe dry.
Things To Try When Acne Wont Clear
The following tips from dermatologists can help you get started.
1. Give an acne treatment at least 4 weeks to work.Using a new acne product every few days may seem useful, but that approach can worsen acne. Acne treatment needs time to work. Using a different product every few days can also irritate your skin, causing new breakouts.
If a treatment works for you, you should notice some improvement in 4 to 6 weeks. It can take two to three months or longer to see clearing.
If you notice improvement, keep using the treatment. Even when you see clearing, you’ll want to keep using the acne treatment. This helps to prevent new breakouts.
When to see a dermatologist about acne?
Seeing a dermatologist can help prevent acne from worsening. You can benefit from seeing a dermatologist when acne:
Causes acne cysts and nodules
Hasnt cleared with treatment you can buy without a prescription
Makes you feel uncomfortable, and you want clearer skin
2. Attack the different causes of acne.If you dont see improvement after 4 to 6 weeks, add a second acne product to your treatment plan.
This approach can help attack the different causes of acne. Bacteria, clogged pores, oil, and inflammation can all cause acne.
Benzoyl peroxide decreases P. acnes bacteria
Retinoids, such as adapalene gel, unclog pores and reduce oiliness
Salicylic acid eases inflammation and unclogs pores
Won’t clog pores
You May Like: Why Does My Acne Itch
Skin Care Tips For Oily Skin
Oily skin can be annoying and even embarrassing. Here are some pro tips to keep shine at bay.
- Dont overdo it with face masks and other drying products.
- Exfoliate once or twice per week.
- Avoid cream moisturizer. Try a lighter gel instead.
- Use a primer or foundation with mattifying properties.
- Niacinamide serums can help you reduce oil.
Treating Dry Oily Skin
Although genetics is the leading factor in your skin type, there are ways you can combat the problems associated with dry, oily skin. Here are a few of the most popular treatments:
- Nutrition. Many times, people with dry, oily skin get breakouts from moisturizers or lotions. However, its still important to moisturize your skin. You can do this by incorporating healthy oils into your diet or taking fatty acid supplements, such as fish oils with docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid and plant sources with alpha-linolenic acid .
- Oil-free sunscreen. Always use a sunscreen whenever youre outside. This proves difficult for many people with dry, oily skin, though, because they fear sunscreen will cause breakouts. Oil-free formulas are a safe bet. Theyre commonly labeled as mineral sunscreen.
- Medication. A dermatologist can prescribe medications for managing your skin, often in the form of topical treatments.
Read Also: How Long Does Hormonal Acne Last