Q What Acne Or Pimples Treatments Are Best
A. To treat scars from acne, laser treatments can be customised depending on the type or depth of the scars. If you have icepick or boxcar scars, your dermatologist may also recommend having them removed using punch techniques. If you want to get rid of the scars or indentations, you could also consider getting filler injections which help even out the skin’s surface. However, these need to be repeated every four to six months.
Following An Unhealthy Diet
What you’re doing wrong
A balanced diet, consisting of essential minerals and nutrients, is not only good for your health but also your skin. Eating junk food, carbs and not eating on time can all have adverse effects on the skin in the form of pimples and breakouts.
How to fix it
While its occasionally okay to indulge in junk food, try incorporating fruits and vegetables to help regularise your diet. Don’t forget to drink at least eight to ten glasses of water daily.
Can Food Or Other Things Cause Cystic Acne
According to Dr. Braue, the foods that are often associated with acne havent been scientifically linked to cystic acne.
Sugar, chocolate and fast food always get a bad rap, but I havent seen any great scientific data that links them to cystic acne. So, I cant say that if you eat fast food three times a week or eat too much chocolate, your acne is going to be much worse. There isnt enough proof that these foods are direct causes.
However, if you notice that your acne flares up when you eat certain foods, your healthcare provider or dermatologist might encourage you to avoid them.
The one thing that Dr. Braue has noticed is a connection between acne and skim milk.
From the available data that we have, there seems to be a link between the severity of acne and the ingestion of skim milk. I do always ask patients if theyre drinking a lot of skim milk or if theyre taking whey protein. If they are, I counsel them on finding an alternative.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars On Chin
Other Ways To Help Reduce Pimples
Although people have been using natural acne remedies for years, research on the topic is still emerging.
The remedies listed below may benefit acne-prone skin, but no studies exist on their ability to treat pimples:
- Witch hazel. Applying witch hazel to the skin has been shown to fight bacteria and reduce inflammation, which could help prevent pimples (
For even more tips, here are 13 powerful home remedies to get rid of acne.
A few other remedies may help you fight pimples naturally, including applying apple cider vinegar to the skin, limiting your dairy intake, and reducing stress levels. However, these have little or no research behind them, so more studies are needed.
Q How To Remove Pimples Marks With A Spot Treatment
A. Choose a face wash or cream with vitamin E oil. Instead, you could add a few drops of vitamin E oil into your daily moisturiser to help heal acne and pimples. Vitamin C, on the other hand, too can help lighten and heal pimples quickly. Add a pinch of organic vitamin C powder to your favorite creams or lotions and apply to the affected area. Every night before sleeping, apply some potato juice directly over the affected areas. Wash with a face wash containing tea tree oil and wipe dry. To hide the acne marks, first, apply your foundation. Next, use a concealer with a small rounded foundation brush on the spot youd like to hide. If you have a blemish that is very red or pink, try applying a green concealer before your regular concealer. Since green and red are complementary colors, they cancel each other out when they are combined together. For a brown or purple scar, use a yellow concealer. Blot with loose powder to make sure that the makeup stays in place all day long.
Recommended Reading: Are Dark Spots Acne Scars
Natural Remedies For Acne Scars
There arent any guaranteed natural remedies to eradicate your acne scars completely.
Your own unique skin type will determine which remedies work. There are a few measures that can be taken to reduce your acne scars severity and prevent future scarring. For stronger, more permanent solutions, consider consulting a dermatologist.
Over-the-counter creams and gels
There are a number of OTC creams that can help with your skins irritation and discomfort. Some creams may reduce the swelling of acne scars and reduce their color to make them less noticeable.
Such creams are not single-use remedies. They must be used consistently to have any noticeable effect.
There are also OTC medicinal creams that can kill bacteria on your skin and reduce oiliness. Look for creams that contain the following:
- Salicylic acid
These aim to reduce irritation of the skin, which may also reduce the redness of the acne scars.
Research your topical creams thoroughly. Some lotions contain chemicals that can dry out your skin. This may further irritate your acne scars.
Expensive moisturizers with lots of fragrance and additives can actually make your scars redder and make them more noticeable.
Five: Apply Turmeric Paste
If youd like to keep things strictly natural , we have another suggestion: turmeric paste. Like the previous remedy, this one involves concocting a mini-mask to treat your breakout quickly.
Turmeric is a staple in many households, so its highly likely that youd have some sitting on your spice rack. Beyond its unique flavor and vibrant color, turmeric has a few other benefits to offernamely, it has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-everything properties. This makes it excellent for skincare.
To make a simple turmeric paste, combine half a teaspoon of turmeric with one tablespoon of honey. This should form a thin paste that you can easily apply to the acne-ridden area. Let this paste rest on your face for about 10 to 20 minutes, and then rinse it off.
Also Check: What Is The Best Supplement For Acne
Tea Tree + Toothpaste
Fear youre getting a pimple? Dab the offending spot with a little tea tree oil , then cover it with a bit of toothpaste. The tea tree oil is a great all-natural remedy with proven results similar to over-the-counter acne creams, and the toothpaste has an anti-inflammatory effect. Repeat three times a day for an ongoing acne problem.
If you have rosacea, avoid tea tree oil because it may aggravate your condition.
Honey With Nutmeg Powder And Strawberries
Honey is another way on how to get rid of acne because it contains an anti-inflammatory and moisturizing property. Besides, strawberries are rich in salicylic acid that is a main ingredient in many acne treatments. In addition, strawberries also help to open up clogged pores and neutralize the bacteria.
Way 1: Honey
- You apply honey on the affected skin area.
- Then, you keep it on there for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Finally, you wash it off with warm water and then with cold water.
- You should do this way for 1 to 2 times per day.
Way 2: Honey and nutmeg powder
You will need:
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- You mix honey and nutmeg powder well.
- Then, you apply this mixture on the affected skin are.
- After that, you leave it on there for about an hour.
- Finally, you wash it off with plain water.
- You should do this way regularly to remove the acne problem.
Way 3: Honey and strawberries
You will need:
- You wash your face gently and pat it dry.
- Then, you mash the fresh strawberries well.
- Next, you add honey into the mashed strawberries and mix them to make a fine paste.
- Now, you apply this paste on your skin.
- You leave it on there for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- After that, you wash it off with warm water and allow it to dry.
- Finally, you apply your regular moisturizer.
- You should do this way for 1 to 2 times per week for at least one month.
Read Also: How Much Is Acne Scar Treatment
Aloe Vera And Turmeric
While turmeric is an excellent exfoliating agent and contains anti-bacterial properties, aloe vera helps soothe the skin due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Together, they help in clearing skin and fading acne scars. Using a spoon, extract some fresh aloe vera gel from a cut leaf and add a pinch or two of turmeric. After mixing well, apply directly over the affected areas and leave on for a few minutes. Wash and wipe dry.
Natural Pimple Remedies: Do They Work
Insights from Cara Quant
Is toothpaste really a good way to get rid of acne ? Does garlic help acne scars go away? I went to some of my favorite social media outlets and posed the question What is your natural remedy for a pimple on the face and received many different responses. Along with a board certified dermatologist, we are demystifying some of those age-old natural cures for getting rid of zits on the face and finding out what works and what doesnt. While there are many things people have tried, most of these have not been scientifically tested. Still, since they also usually cant hurt you, we give you some background about what might be behind the ideas:
1. Toothpaste: Everyone has heard it, put some toothpaste on a zit at night and the next morning not only will the zit be gone but your face will smell minty fresh. What does the expert think about this remedy: Dermatologist: Many patients tell us they use toothpaste. I dont know of any scientific proof for this method, but most brands are probably harmless. It may help by drying out the pimple and many brands contain hydrogen peroxide which may function as an antimicrobial, but it may also cause irritation and peeling along with it. If the toothpaste causes too much irritation, it might be better to try something else.
Don’t Miss: What Is Otc Acne Cream
Things To Try When Acne Wont Clear
The following tips from dermatologists can help you get started.
1. Give an acne treatment at least 4 weeks to work.Using a new acne product every few days may seem useful, but that approach can worsen acne. Acne treatment needs time to work. Using a different product every few days can also irritate your skin, causing new breakouts.
If a treatment works for you, you should notice some improvement in 4 to 6 weeks. It can take two to three months or longer to see clearing.
If you notice improvement, keep using the treatment. Even when you see clearing, you’ll want to keep using the acne treatment. This helps to prevent new breakouts.
Why see a dermatologist for severe acne?
If you have severe acne, a dermatologist can create a treatment plan that will help clear your skin. Acne products that you buy at the store cannot treat severe acne.
2. Attack the different causes of acne.If you dont see improvement after 4 to 6 weeks, add a second acne product to your treatment plan.
This approach can help attack the different causes of acne. Bacteria, clogged pores, oil, and inflammation can all cause acne.
Benzoyl peroxide decreases P. acnes bacteria
Retinoids, such as adapalene gel, unclog pores and reduce oiliness
Salicylic acid eases inflammation and unclogs pores
You can buy acne treatment that contains any one of these ingredients online or at a store. You don’t need a prescription.
Ask Your Doctor About Acne Medications
If you have persistent pimples, you may want to ask your doctor about available prescriptions and whether they might be a good fit for you. There are several FDA-approved oral and topical medications on the market that could help improve your skin, such as minocycline, spironolactone, and isotretinoin. We’ll discuss these prescription medications and more later on.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Acne Blemishes
Other Good Skincare Habits To Follow:
- Exfoliate regularly: To improve the appearance of scars, exfoliating regularly will aid in cell turnover rate to reveal new, healthy skin. Include the YORA Clarify Face Mask in your skincare routine to lightly exfoliate your skin with salicylic acid and bamboo beads. The added Australian white clay and activated charcoal will also help unclog pores and prevent future breakouts.
- Apply sunscreen: We’ve mentioned earlier that sun exposure can cause your acne marks to darken. To prevent this from happening, use a sunscreen with SPF 30 and above every day.
- Eat healthily: Breakouts and acne scarring can be avoided in the first place by eating healthily. To find out which acne-clearing foods you should consume, be sure to check out: The Clear Skin Diet
Not Changing The Pillowcases
What you’re doing wrong
Dirty pillowcases and bedsheets can very well be the cause of acne breakouts. Dirty bedding can cause dirt to settle on our face and skin and end up in clogging pores. The cleaner your bedding, the happier your skin will be.
How to fix it
Try changing your pillow cover once in four days. Moreover, it’s best to choose a pillow cover that is made out of natural fabric.
You May Like: Where Your Acne Is Means
Take The Easy Way With Acne Scars
If you have small acne scars , there are several non-surgical, non-medical treatments that help them slowly fade away.
Silicone sheets can be applied to raised acne scars. Fitting the skin like a bandage, they stretch the skin around a scar so that the collagen fibers holding it in place break down. The skin allows oxygen but not water to travel to the skin so bacteria wont grow but the skin wont shrivel like a prune from excessive hydration.
It may take as long as 90 days to smooth out a small scar. You can take the silicone sheet off for a few hours at a time for photos or special occasions.
Microdermabrasion wears away the edges of indented scars. Microdermabrasion is done with a polyethylene microdermabrasion cloth or with a microdermabrasion gel that you rub on your skin. Corundum crystals, used in Exposed Skin Cares Microderm Scrub, are less irritating that the aluminum oxide crystals used in most other microdermabrasion products. Getting rid of acne scars is a slow process, but you will usually see results on small scars in 30 days or less.
Eat Healthy Food Helps On How To Get Rid Of Acne Naturally And Fast
Nutrition is one of the fundamental pillars of a healthy and clear skin
- Raw and unprocessed foods are excellent.
- Minimize your intake of fast foods and those that are highly processed.
- Read labels on food to check their ingredients. Some pre-packaged foods are too sugary. Skip those with lots of constituents, long and complicated names that you dont understand
- Minimize your sugar intakes.
- Get generous helpings of fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains and vegetables.
- Omega -3 foods are great. They lower sebum production leading to fewer acne break-ups.
Recommended Reading: What Is Causing My Cheek Acne
Oatmeal & Coconut Oil Face Mask
Coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties, so its an ideal choice to help fight acne. Add to that the soothing and pH-balancing power of oatmeal, and youve got an amazing recipe for clearer skin.
Oatmeal & Coconut Oil Face Mask Ingredients
- Coconut oil
Oatmeal & Coconut Oil Face Mask Recipe
Goodbye, acne. Hello, clear skin!
Symptoms Of Acne Scars
There are two types of acne scars: raised or depressed.
Raised scars are raised ridges or bumps on your skin. Depressed scars look like small pits in your skin. The type of scars you have is the result of your bodys reaction to an acne breakout.
People with darker skin tones also develop dark spots with their acne. This is known as hyperpigmentation.
As with acne scars, hyperpigmentation spots require that your acne is treated before they can be addressed. Treating dark spots requires acne products that work well for darker skin.
Read Also: What Is Best To Get Rid Of Acne Scars
How Acne Is Formed
Inflammation caused by hormonal changes forms the red spots on our skin.
Acne is commonly found on your face, neck, chest, back and shoulders. Its because there are more oil glands on the skin of these areas. The function of oil glands is to excrete oil substance to lubricate your skin to make it look glowing.
When your body produces an excess amount of sebum and dead skin cells due to hormonal changes, the two can block your hair follicles and form soft plug, which is a favourable environment for bacteria to thrive. When the clogged hair follicles get infected and result in inflammation, the follicle wall will bulge and form a pimple.
Using The Wrong Detergent
What you’re doing wrong
While you may not take this to be quite the reason, but some chemicals in your laundry detergent can actually be too harsh for the skin. Your skin might then react to the residue left behind on the fabric, resulting in breakouts on your face and other body parts.
How to fix it
If you are baffled about the cause of your acne, you might want to consider changing your detergent.
You May Like: How Do You Make Acne Go Away