Back Acne Body Moisturizers
Since acne medications can be drying, it’s important to properly moisturize the affected area. “Those with acneic skin might have issues with certain lotions and creams clogging their pores even further, so look for ones that are labeled ‘oil-free’ and ‘non comedogenic,'” says Dr. King. Since it’s difficult to apply touch-up spot treatments to your back acne especially during the work day, use a lotion incorporating salicylic acid in the morning to not only instantly combat dryness, but help heal back blemishes throughout the day.
1. This lotion is like the gift that keeps on giving: the antimicrobial formula kills bacteria in your pores while it intensely hydrates your skin. Plus, we love how the lightweight consistency dries quickly and feels comfortable underneath your clothes. “If your skin is super sensitive, avoid layering a new salicylic acid product with other skin care at the same time,” says Dr. King.
Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Oil-Free Salicylic Acne Treatment & Moisturizer, $39,
2. This non-greasy lotion uses 0.5% salicylic acid to effectively treat body acne. It helps get existing back acne under control, but also works to prevent new ones from popping up in the future, too.
Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Moisturizer, $6.79, drugstore.com
Paula’s Choice Weightless Body Treatment With 2% BHA, $25, paulaschoice.com
Use Raw Tomatoes On Your Skin
Like many other ingredients already mentioned, tomatoes are full of acid.
They help to reduce the colouration of the scarring, so it looks like scars are disappearing.
However, that is not the only benefit.
Tomatoes are also full of natural healing qualities.
They have large amounts of vitamin C, like lemon juice, so will help to improve the rebuilding of collagen. The redness of tomatoes come from carotenes in them, which are full of antioxidants.
Not only will antioxidants fight against canceras already mentionedthey helped to repair and rebuild damaged tissue.
This is their way of fighting against the damaged tissue.
One of the simplest ways to use tomatoes to remove the scars is by slicing them up and applying them directly to the skin.
You can give the body a chance to soak in all the juices and really benefit from the nutrients.
They can also be crushed and turned into a pulp, and then placed directly on the skin. Whichever of these two you choose, leave for 15-20 minutes and then wash.
Another option is to make a mask with other home remedies. Cucumbers and Avocados work well with tomatoes for a pimple scar-removing face mask.
Youll want the pulp from the tomato and juice from the other two ingredients to turn them into a mask.
Apply directly to the affected area and leave for about 20 minutes.
As with the other options, wash off with lukewarm water and then pat dry with a clean towel.
Those who have sensitive skin may find the tomatoes too acidic.
Avoid Creamy Shower Gels
The skin on your back has more sweat and oil gland activity than elsewhere on the body, but it also happens to be the area that is least thoroughly cleansed. Due to the difficulty in reaching inaccessible spots like the skin between your shoulder blades, oil, dead skin, sweat and dirt easily build up and clog pores. For starters, Natalie advises avoiding ultra-creamy shower gels and choosing treatments that contain acne-fighting ingredients like salicylic acid , glycolic acid and/or lactic acid . GQrecommends using a long-handled cleansing sponge or body brush to help reach every nook and cranny.
Also Check: How To Treat Inflamed Acne Naturally
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Acne On The Back And Shoulders
Home remedies are always referred since they are not very expensive, the things are available at home and they do not cause side-effects. Although home remedies may be good in getting rid of acne on the back and shoulders, yet there is no scientific evidence for them. Some of these therapies are very effective in soothing the pain especially in case of mild and moderate acne. These remedies do not do wonders overnight and they take time to show positive results. The following are some of the home based remedies:
Other common back acne home remedies include use of tomato, sandalwood, lemon juice, orange peels, cucumber, turmeric powder, toothpaste, egg whites and basil leaves, ground oil. These home remedies help to get rid of acne of the back, alleviate pain and clear or reduce the blemishes or scars caused by them.
What Else Can Help
Sometimes even though they wash properly and try lotions and oil-free makeup, people get acne anyway and this is totally normal. In fact, some girls who normally have a handle on their acne may get some a few days before their period starts due to hormone changes. This is called premenstrual acne.
Some people get help with acne from a doctor or dermatologist . A doctor may treat the acne with prescription medicines. Depending on the person’s acne, this might mean using prescription creams that prevent pimples from forming, taking antibiotics to kill the bacteria that help create pimples, or if the acne is severe, taking stronger medicines such as isotretinoin, or even having minor surgery. Some girls find that birth control pills help to clear up their acne.
If you look in the mirror and see a pimple, don’t touch it, squeeze it, or pick at it. This might be hard to do it can be pretty tempting to try to get rid of a pimple. But when you play around with pimples, you can cause even more inflammation by popping them or opening them up. Plus, the oil from your hands can’t help! More important, though, picking at pimples can leave tiny, permanent scars on your face.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Acne On Face Overnight
Dont Pick Your Pimples
We always stress the importance of leaving your pimples alone, and shoulder acne is no exception. Popping and picking at pimples can damage the skin so the more you fuss with these blemishes, the more likely youll be left with a scar due to causing increased inflammation. If you think about all the bacteria, grime, and gunk that accumulates on your fingertips throughout the day, you definitely dont want to transfer all of that to your skin. Doing so can worsen and cause breakouts so hands off!
How To Treat Back Acne
You dont need a medical degree to tackle bacne, because the treatment for regular acne, folliculitis, and acne mechanica are pretty much the same. The same ingredients that help acne on your face, like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide, can help on body acne, too. Keeping the area clean and exfoliated is a given as well.
As with most things, prevention is far more effective than treatment, Finney says. Always make sure to shower as quickly as possible after working out and change into dry clothes to prevent sweat from sticking around on your skin . Keep using skincare products, like body washes and exfoliators, even after your bacne has cleared up to keep it from coming back. Acne-focused skincare can work wonders on mild to moderate cases of bacne, but if you have severe outbreaks or notice that its not going away despite treatment, see a dermatologist. There might be underlying issues like hormones or diet at play. But for now, start with these 17 best back acne treatments to help get rid of annoying bacne and prevent it in the future.
Dexterity issues be damned, a spray containing salicylic acid can help you treat hard-to-reach areas like your mid-back or between your shoulder blades. This version is a leave-on treatment, which means you spray it on after your shower and let it go to work without washing it off.
You May Like: What Can I Use For Acne While Pregnant
Wear Loose And Breathable Fabrics
Another key to keeping chest acne at bay is to wear clothing that is loose and non-irritating so that your skin can breathe. Tight clothing can trap dirt, bacteria, and oils that can develop into blemishes. Certain fabrics, such as wool, nylon, and spandex, can cause further irritation. Your best bet is to wear cotton clothing.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Back Acne Scars
There are many looking to learn how to get rid of acne scars.
While they can appear anywhere, the back is one of the most sensitive places for scarring to happen.
It just doesnt look that appealing or flattering, and leads to many women choosing against backless dresses or men avoiding anything that would involve no shirt .
Reading this, you want to know how to get rid of back acne scars, not just quickly but naturally.
The last thing you want is to spend a fortune on treatments that may not work.
One of the best things about scar removal products is that they use natural ingredients that you will likely already have in your cupboard.
Here are 12 home remedies so you can learn how to get rid of acne scars.
Also Check: Does Salicylic Acid Help With Acne
Lifestyle Changes To Clear Hormonal Body Acne
Making simple lifestyle changes can also help fight against hormonal breakouts on the back, shoulders, and chest.
- Shower right after a workout to prevent the build-up of sebum and bacteria.
- Sweat and dirt can get trapped in tight tops, so exercise in a loose shirt to help the skin breathe and fight against the formation of back acne.
- If you wear clothing that exposes the back, remember to apply a non-greasy, lightweight sunscreen with SPF 30+. Avoiding the sun is key to prevent hyperpigmentation and dark marks. UV exposure can worsen red marks and scars.
- If you tend to sweat in warmer weather, bring an extra spare top or bra with you.
- Eat whole nutrient-dense foods, and avoid inflammatory foods such as animal protein, dairy, and sugar.
- Avoid using harsh scrubs or loofahs in the shower.
- Avoid picking or scraping body pimples.
Tips To Prevent Shoulder Acne
Shoulder acne can be easily prevented with a few self-care measures, such as:
- Wearing suitable clothes: It is best to wear loose-fitting clothes, especially when exercising. Opt for clothes made of sweat-wicking fabrics such as cotton. Avoid using bleach to wash your clothes as it can irritate the skin and aggravate acne. Instead, use fabric softeners to avoid friction from clothes.
- Reducing pressure on the shoulders: Avoid the use of backpacks or shoulder pads that can put undue pressure on your shoulders and rub against them, causing acne.
- Avoiding irritating skin care products: Identify the products your skin is sensitive to and avoid their use. These products include soaps and body gels that contain artificial fragrances that irritate the skin.
Read Also: What To Eat To Avoid Acne
What Are The Types Of Acne Scars And What Do They Look Like
If you have acne scarring, youre likely to have more than one of the following types. Rarely does someone have just boxcar scars, or just keloid scars, etc. Each of these can be treated with varying degrees of success.
Atrophic or Depressed Scarring:
- Ice pick: An ice pick tool has a wide shaft that narrows down to the tip. This type of acne scar resembles the tool in that its a hole thats wide at the top and narrows to a point as it goes deeper into the skin. Such an indentation is common and also one of the most challenging scars to heal. Youll find them on your forehead and upper cheeks, where your skin is thinner.
- Rolling: These scars are typically found on the lower cheeks and jaw, where your skin is thicker. The indents have sloping edges that makes the skin look uneven and wavy.
- Boxcar: Boxcar scars are indents that have sharper edges. Those edges go down deep into the skin. These scars are common on the lower checks and jaw.
Hypertrophic or keloid scars: These lesions of scar tissue rise off the skin. Theyre caused when fibrous tissues, the collagen, in the region of the skin overgrow. These scars are usually found on the chest, back and shoulders and jaw line and can be itchy, tender or painful.
Types Of Shoulder Acne
Not all acne looks the same. Thats because there are actually different types of acne:
- Whiteheads are small bumps with a skin-colored appearance on them. They contain a buildup of keratin and oil.
- Blackheads occur when a pore becomes clogged. Its often thought that their dark color is due to dirt in the follicle, but its actually because of oxidation of keratin and melanin.
- Papules are small red bumps. Theyre less than 1 centimeter in diameter. Papules dont have a clear head.
- Pustules are red bumps filled with pus or other fluid.
- Nodules and cysts are large, red, often painful acne lesions that occur in severe acne called nodulocystic acne.
There are a lot of acne medications and cleansers on the market, making it hard to choose the right one. Weve got you covered.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Acne Holes On Face
Shower Right After Working Out
One of the reasons bacne happens is because we’re busy being so awesome and healthy working up a sweat! “Breakouts on the back and body can be exacerbated by working out or sweating more,” explains Renée. Whenever possible, shower right after exercising to help remove sweat that may be irritating the skin and causing clogged pores on your back.
Tight Clothing Or A Heavy Backpack Could Also Be The Culprit
“Tight clothing mixed with friction and excess moisture, such as sweat, can lead to the development of acne. The combination of friction, heat, and covered skin may result in the development of a form of acne called acne mechanica. The friction can irritate the skin and disrupt the surface, which can clog the pores with dead skin cells and lead to inflammation,” Dr. Jeremy Fenton of Schweiger Dermatology Group in NYC told Byrdie. “In my case, this is a perfect explanation, since the super-hot NYC summer weather was causing me to sweat, which, coupled with rubbing bra straps, led to a spattering of breakouts.
To prevent acne mechanica on you back, make sure your clothing and undergarments aren’t too tight and try not to carry heavy loads in backpacks or purses for extended periods of time. Wearing a clean cotton t-shirt beneath your regular clothes or sports uniform can also help keep your skin protected.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Bad Body Acne
Acne On Shoulders And Upper Back Occurs When The Hair Follicles On The Skin Get Clogged With Sweat Oil Or Sebum
A bha works to slough off dead skin. Getting acne medication on your back can be tricky, but this simple spray can propel its treatment from any angle. In fact, everyday health reports that up. I had a question sent to me very recently asking about how to get rid of shoulder acne and the back area. And use a gentle body wash that contains salicylic acid. Since the skin of the body is much more thicker than the face, sometimes it a bha product often cited includes salicylic acid, it must be between a ph between 3 and 4 to work. It can work wonders on your skin and. Before you can learn how to treat your back acne, you need to know why it’s there in the first place. These lesions tend to heal slowly and often leave scars. While this step is actually optional, there are some experts who say that whenever this product is used in combination with the benzoyl peroxide you will get much better results. How to prevent back acne. Acne on back and shoulders can sometimes turn painful with pustules and they can also can severe dandruff can trigger chest, back, and shoulder acne, so get rid of dandruff with a good how to prevent shoulder and back acne: Why pimples pop up, and how to prevent and get rid of them.
Avoid Sitting In Gym Clothes
While it may be tempting to leave your workout gear on for the day , it’s good to take your gym clothes off immediately.
“The most important treatment is to avoid leaving moist clothing pressed against the skin for long periods of time and to promptly remove clothing and shower immediately after exercise,” says Jessica Weiser, MD, of Weiser Skin MD.
Shamban agrees, adding that wearing natural fibers that breathe, like cotton and silk, and eliminating tight-fitting lycra and spandex on the area until it is clear helps too.
If you don’t think you’ll have the opportunity to change right away, you can help prevent the buildup of sweat by applying a baby powder, like Johnson’s Baby Powder , prior to working out. This will help absorb sweat as you produce it, rather than letting the moisture sit on your skin. You should also keep a no-rinse cleansing option with you to help remove sweat when you’re in a pinch. Try ShowerPill’s The Body Wipe .
Read Also: Is Micellar Water Good For Acne
How To Get Rid Of Back Acne Scars
As if getting rid of your back acne wasn’t stressful enough, a whole new problem emerges: acne scars. They develop when inflammation from deep cysts and blemishes damages the collagen in your skin. “Healthy tissue is replaced by scar tissue, which is why there can be indentations, redness and uneven texture,” says Dr. King. Although the short-term solution comes from the help of a really great concealer , the best way to get rid of acne in the long term will take some patience and diligently incorporating a lightening cream in your daily beauty regimen. For hyper-pigmented scars that aren’t set too deep, slather on these lotions and potions:
1. The thought of applying oil anywhere near your bacne used to send us running for the hills, but it’s actually your secret weapon when it comes to recuperating acne scars. It keeps skin hydrated and supple to make the healing process go faster, and vitamin E improves the scar’s texture.
Bio-Oil Scar Treatment, $9.19, drugstore.com
2. This chemical peel kit comes with an ampoule of ointment that you dispense on the pad to gently exfoliate your back and reveal younger looking tissue. The glycolic and salicylic acid combo dissolves dull tissue so it helps make your other skincare products sink in better and work more effectively, too.
Peter Thomas Roth 40% Triple Acid Peel, $88,
Mederma PM Intensive Overnight Scar Cream, $34.99, walgreens.com