Tips For Treating Baby Acne
Baby acne can last anywhere from a few days to a few months. To treat stubborn baby acne, your babys pediatrician may prescribe a medicated cream or ointment that helps clear up the condition.
Dont use over-the-counter acne treatments, face washes, or lotions unless you are sure that they are specifically formulated with your little ones delicate skin in mind using natural, plant-based, and gentle ingredients that are safe.
Your babys skin is very sensitive at this young age. Using just any OTC ointment might make the acne worse or cause additional skin irritation because some of its ingredients may actually be too strong for your babys soft skin.
View The Following Video On How To Treat Baby Acne Naturally
Delicate Baby Face Cream that Clears Up Infant Acne, Rashes, Eczema and MoreNewswire , on Fri, 11 Apr 2014 07:47:55 -0700Newborns usually experience pimple breakouts which normally occur between the second to sixth weeks after being born. Baby develop this because of the stimulation of their sebaceous glands by lingering maternal hormones after delivery. Treat baby Baby Acne ExplainedDoctor Tipster, on Fri, 14 Mar 2014 16:32:14 -0700Baby acne is a rough, pimple-like rash on the babys face. It is most prominent on the babys cheeks, nose and forehead. This skin condition is a common problem among newborns and young infants and its advisable to understand how to treat it naturally. It typically appears on the infants face within What is baby acne: Symptoms, causes and treatmentsTelemanagement, on Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:35:36 -0700Parents are often surprised to see their baby with tiny bumps and blemishes that have a strange resemblance to pimples. While people refer to these blemishes as baby acne, what are these, really? Why do they manifest as white bumps, and how to treat
Bottom Line On Baby Acne
Faith with baby acne at five weeks of age.
Albeit unsightly, baby acne is completely normal and common and poses no risk to your bundle of joy. Its tempting to look for a quick fix, but its best to be patient. The human skin has so many built-in protections, fail safes, and processes that are best carried out with minimal meddling. Take time to marvel every precious inch of your baby and know that the baby acne will be gone soon!
Read Also: How Can I Reduce Acne Scars
What If Baby Acne Doesnt Clear Up
If your babys break out just wont clear, you may be mistaking another skin condition for baby acne. Below are some various skin conditions that are similar to baby acne but require their own diagnosis and set of remedies.
- Milia: These are tiny white bumps, similar looking to whiteheads, which appear on nose, chin, and cheeks of baby. Milia can be present from birth, unlike baby acne, which sets in later. It can also occur alongside baby acne as your babys skin adjusts to life outside the womb. It is more often caused by sloughed off skin cells that get trapped in the outer layer of dermis.
- Heat Rash: While baby acne is on the face, heat rash tends to appear where the baby is clothed, including on the chest, stomach and neck, but also on the thighs and buttocks. Heat rash looks like a reddening of the skin with lots of tiny red bumps.
- Baby Eczema: While it can look similar to baby acne, especially when it shows up on the cheeks, its trademark look is red, patchy and scaly dry skin. It is very common in babies, and can also pop up in high-friction areas, like the folds of those tiny little elbows and knees. Eczema can be caused by diet, lifestyle, gut flora imbalance, dryness and also by genetics, if a parent suffers from eczema.
- Infection: If the bumps spread beyond face or if baby has a fever or cold symptoms, call your pediatrician immediately as these may be signs of an infection like roseola or RSV.
Lemon Juice And Honey
Both lemon and honey have a ton of medicinal benefits. Honey is a good natural product, so its a great choice for your baby. This combination gives the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial impact on the skin. Lemon juice and honey penetrate deep into the skin of your baby when applied to it. This action aids in absorbing and flushing out the impurities causing baby acne. Honey soothes the skin while lemon exfoliates it.
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey or Manuka honey
- Firstly, take the juice of half a lemon and 1 tablespoon of honey. Then, mix together both the ingredients.
- After that, in the liquid, soak a cotton ball for 2 to 3 minutes. Gently apply the liquid on the face of your baby and spread it well.
- Wait for at least ½ hour and remove it with the help of a warm wet cloth.
- This process needs to be repeated twice per day to gain better results.
Read Also: Can Drinking Water Help Acne
How To Get Rid Of Baby Acne: Quick Tips
- Do not equate baby acne with adolescent acne. One should never prick, pinch or pop baby acne.
- Avoid using strong topical creams and solutions containing salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide.
- Never ever use astringents on baby skin.
- Dont apply lotions that can clog the pores. Instead of using a moisturizing lotion, opt for an oil-free moisturizing baby wash till acne clears. If the baby has very dry skin, apply a very little amount of baby moisturizing lotion and that too on the body and not the face.
- It is important to keep drying babys face after drooling or spitting. If moisture stays for long around the mouth, it can worsen the acne on the chin. Make your child wear a bib always to clean the face frequently.
- Ensure your baby does not scratch her or his skin till baby acne is there. Even if the baby wears mittens and scratches the face, chances of serious skin infection increases.
- Mothers who are breastfeeding should avoid having too many fruits, especially fruits that are too sweet. Citrus fruits like oranges have a tendency to cause skin allergies in infants.
- Whenever using any home remedy on a babys skin, do a patch test for allergy first. If there is a sign of irritation, dont use the remedy.
- Check for rashes and acne elsewhere on the babys body. Baby acne usually appears on the face, but if it appears elsewhere in the body, immediately consult your doctor. It can be cradle cap or eczema.
How Long Will My Babys Acne Last
The duration will depend on the type your baby has. Neonatal acne generally runs its course before four months of age. This type usually doesnt leave any scarring or marks later on.
Infantile acne, however, can be more persistent. Sometimes it can last up to two years, if not more. This may require treatment, especially if it seems tenacious it can also leave scarring if not treated properly .
Don’t Miss: How Good Is Proactive For Acne
What Are The Symptoms Of Baby Acne
Baby acne is marked by tiny red color pustules or bumps that often appear on the forehead, nose and cheeks of the newborn baby. Usually, it occurs within the first month of birth. Indeed, the condition may seem worse while the baby cries. At times, babies also develop bumps that emerge across their cheeks, chin and nose, a skin condition known as milia. Likewise, milia is not a serious condition and do not indicate towards a serious underlying condition.
Best Remedies To Get Rid Of Baby Acne Naturally
October 17, 2017 By Sruthika
The irritated skin, redness along with the pain will come to our mind whenever we think of acne. We all know that acne occurs mostly to the teenagers and young adults, but do you know that even babies will suffer from acne?
Baby Acne will affect newborn babies, especially infants around 1 month old. The parents get panic while seeing their baby suffering from acne issues. Although, it is not a serious skin problem and can subside in due course.
Do you know that around 20% of infants are affected by baby acne and thereby results in tiny, red and white bumps on the skin? It occurs mainly on the face area but not on the chest, arms or legs . Baby acne is more common in boys rather than girl baby.
You May Like: What Different Types Of Acne Mean
Home Remedies For Acne
Everyones skin is different, so keep in mind that effectively treating acne breakouts at home requires a multi-disciplinary approach. The home remedies for acne described below can be used in combination to provide the best results. However, keep in mind that while you overcome acne its also very important to avoid the biggest mistakes that can make skin irritation or scarring worse:
- Picking blemishes
- Over cleansing with harsh chemicals and cleansers
- Believing only topical care of the skin is necessary to fight acne
- Not giving skin the chance to adapt to new care
- Failing to stay properly hydrated
- Failing to start treating acne from the inside, out
1. Cleanse Gently
Getting rid of stubborn pimples, blackheads and whiteheads starts with thorough but gentle cleansing of the skin. Try my recipe for Homemade Honey Face Wash to cleanse skin without causing irritation. It features apple cider vinegar, honey, coconut oil, probiotics and essential oils . The honey soothes the skin, the coconut oil helps to fight bacteria and fungus, and the tea tree oil helps to invigorate the skin. Dampen skin with warm water, and massage into face and neck. Rinse well and pat dry. Do this each morning and evening and, if needed, after workouts. Refrain from cleansing more often, as this can irritate the skin and cause an overproduction of oil.
2. Tone to Restore pH Balance
3. Use Healing Masks
4. Exfoliate Regularly
5. Spot Treat with Tea Tree Oil
6. Fight Bacteria With Holy Basil
When To Call The Doctor
From the What to Expect editorial team and Heidi Murkoff, author of What to Expect When You’re Expecting. What to Expect follows strict reporting guidelines and uses only credible sources, such as peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions and highly respected health organizations. Learn how we keep our content accurate and up-to-date by reading our medical review and editorial policy.
You May Like: What Helps Cystic Acne Swelling
Do Not Pick At The Bumps
You may be tempted to pop or pick at the bumps on your babys face. Do your best to resist this urge. Breaking open the acne does little good in the long run and can lead to infection and scarring.
You might even cause your babys sebaceous glands to kick into high gear and produce even more oil. That extra oil on your babys skin can cause yet another acne breakout.
What Is Baby Acne
As noted above, baby acne is a harmless and very common condition among infants that closely resembles acne in teenagers or adults.
The American Academy of Dermatology divides acne into two categories:
- Newborn acne . This affects 20 percent of newborns and typically develops between the ages of two and six weeks. In some cases, a baby may be born with acne.
- Infantile acne. This condition typically arises between the ages of three and six months. This type of acne may be slightly more complicated than newborn acne. In some cases, parents may mistake another condition for baby acne. For these reasons, its a good idea to consult your pediatrician or a pediatric dermatologist if your child develops acne after the age of three months.
Just like in older populations, newborn acne manifests as breakouts on a babys skin. Most commonly, these breakouts will show up on a newborns cheeks, nose, and/or forehead. They tend to look like small red or white bumps, and the skin around these bumps may appear reddish. The acne may become more inflamed when your baby is fussing or crying. In some cases, baby acne may appear on the back, scalp, chest, or other parts of the body.
How long does baby acne last?
While it can be a little alarming to see breakouts on your infants face or body, its helpful to remember that newborn acne is generally a harmless and temporary condition. The acne will typically clear up on its own within a few weeks or months, and it rarely causes scarring.
Don’t Miss: Can Nexplanon Help With Acne
How To Make A Honey And Cinnamon Mask
Honey and cinnamon have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. They may help reduce acne, but more studies are needed.
Tea tree oil is an essential oil thats extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, a small tree native to Australia.
Its well known for its ability to fight bacteria and reduce skin inflammation (
Tea tree oil has strong anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Applying it to the skin may reduce acne.
Breast Milk For Baby Acne And Other Natural Remedies That Work
Posted by allnaturalmothering
Breast Milk for Baby Acne? Yes! Many mothers have reported that it works exceptionally well. Also, there are other homemade remedies you can try to treat baby acne naturally.
My son had some minor skin abnormalities every now and then. Just after few weeks of birth, his skin, especially around his mouth, broke out into tiny red bumps that my doctor said was baby acne.
I was so worried but my doctor reassured that it is a very common skin condition in newborns. In fact, about 20% of the newborn babies get baby acne.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Soap For Acne
How Is Infantile Acne Treated
Although most cases of infantile acne resolve over time, it might be necessary for your doctor to prescribe medication.
Products containing benzoyl peroxide or topical retinoids are often prescribed for mild to moderate cases of infantile acne. Theyre usually applied directly to your baby’s skin.
Antibiotics are prescribed for mild acne that is inflammatory. The antibiotics come in the form of cream, and its applied to the skin. Antibiotics are used to treat severe acne too, but these are usually taken by mouth. Multiple medications may be prescribed at once.
Dont Use Oily Creams Or Lotions
Acne be it baby, adolescent, or adult is caused by clogged pores. Dirt and oil get stuck around a hair follicle and create a plug that irritates surrounding skin. Visually, this is the redness and swelling that are so commonly associated with acne. Because acne is caused by a buildup of oil and dirt, its best to avoid using oily creams and lotions on acne-prone skin.
To keep your babys acne-prone skin as healthy as possible, whether theyre having an outbreak or not, we suggest regularly cleansing the area with Mustelas No Rinse Cleansing Water or Mustelas No Rinse Soothing Cleansing Water for very sensitive skin.
These products contain micellar water, which works to keep your babys skin clean because the micelles in the water are attracted to the dirt and oil that can clog pores. The micelles are thus able to draw out impurities without irritating sensitive skin.
After you cleanse your babys skin, follow up with a sensitive-skin product, like Mustelas Soothing Moisturizing Body Lotion. This daily, light textured baby body lotion is specially designed for newborns with very sensitive, rashy, or reactive skin.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Teenage Acne
Breast Milk The Natural Elixir For Baby Acne
There is no substitute for breast milk. It is the nourishment that makes your baby strong and gives him or her ability to fight common ailments. Breast milk also works wonders with baby acne. Soak a cotton ball in some breast milk and apply on the affected area three to four times a day. Many mothers notice a difference immediately after application of the milk.
Read more: 31 Foods to Increase Breast Milk
The Magic Of Breast Milk:
Many mothers vouch that breast milk has helped clear baby acne when applied topically. Apply a few drops of breastmilk on babys face and let it air dry. Repeat this twice a day, wash it with water and pat it dry with a clean towel. It is important that you wash babys skin after the breast milk dries. You do not want any residue clogging the pores and delay healing.
Breast milk has excellent anti inflammatory and anti microbial properties that helps clearing up the skin.
Read Also: How To Fight Cystic Acne
Using Apple Cider Vinegar
The best natural home remedies for baby acne must also include apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is oil absorbent and is a bacteria killer as well. It aids in killing the bacteria rapidly and makes the skin healthy and clean. Vinegar must be applied in a diluted form for treating baby acne because it is very concentrated and thin. Its suggested to check the reaction of apple cider vinegar on the skin of your baby by applying a small amount of it on the hand prior to using it.
- 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of distilled water
- Take apple cider vinegar and mix it with a half cup of distilled water.
- Mix it well and immerse a few cotton balls in this solution for 5 minutes. Gently apply to the acne-affected regions of your little one.
- Wait for 20 minutes and use a warm & wet cloth to clean the face of your baby.
- Use it 2 times a day for about five days to cure the problem.