Use Light Therapy To Zap Acne
Instead of going to your dermatologist for red and blue light therapy , use an at-home device over a blemish, or over your whole face, for just two minutes. The red light reduces acne inflammation, while the blue light targets acne-causing bacteria. Additionally, the light stimulates the dermal layers of the skin to produce collagen. In turn, acne scars fill out and the skin looks more even-toned.
Are There Any Home Remedies For Acne
- Cosmetics: Don’t be afraid to hide blemishes with flesh-tinted cover-ups or even foundation, as long as it is water-based . There are many quality products available.
- Facials: While not absolutely essential, steaming and “deep-cleaning” pores are useful, both alone and in addition to medical treatment, especially for people with “whiteheads” or “blackheads.”Having these pores unclogged by a professional also reduces the temptation to do it oneself.
- Pore strips: Pharmacies now carry, under a variety of brand names, strips which one applies to the nose, forehead, chin, etc., to “pull out” oil from pores. These are, in effect, a do-it-yourself facial. They are inexpensive, safe, and work reasonably well if used properly.
- Toothpaste: One popular home remedy is to put toothpaste on zits. There is no medical basis for this. The same applies to vinegar.
Keep Your Hands Off Your Face
All dermatologists agree that you should never, ever pick at your pimple. We repeat: Do not pick at your pimple. “It may seem tempting, but remember that once you’ve picked at an acne lesion, it will take longer to heal and is more likely to scar,” warns Doris Day, M.D., a dermatologist in NYC and author of 100 Questions and Answers About Acne.
And other derms agree, especially when trying to get rid of a pimple overnight. “Whatever you do, don’t pick your pimple before bed,” says Joshua Zeichner, M.D., Director of Cosmetic & Clinical Research in Dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC. “When you are tired you will inevitably cause more harm than good.” Trust us on this one.
Read Also: What Vitamins Get Rid Of Acne
As You’re Treating Stay Away From Edible Ingredients
Products with coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil sound luxurious and healthy, but when it comes to acne treatment, they’re only reinforcing the problem. Steer clear of edible ingredients if you’re in the midst of a pimple crisis.
“If we can eat the product, bacteria and fungus can eat the product,” Dr. Patel says, “and this could possibly make more pimples.”
What Not To Do To Get Rid Of A Pimple
You can watch pimple popping videos on the internet to your hearts content, but Dr. Khetarpal recommends against trying it in real life.
Any manipulation of a pimple can lead to more inflammation, which can increase the risk of scarring, she explains. And your hands are dirty, so youre going to introduce more bacteria and potentially make it worse.
Your best bet is to spot treat the pimple with benzoyl peroxide and then leave it alone.
Wearing makeup and covering it up is not a problem, but dont poke or pick or squeeze it, Dr. Khetarpal suggests. It will resolve on its own.
You May Like: What To Do For Baby Acne
How To Get Rid Of Acne Fast With Over
There are a number of pore strip brands now, but Biore was one of the first and remains the most popular. Applied wet, typically to either the chin or nose, the strip dries and sticks to built up oil, dead skin cells and other impurities clogging pores. Once the strip’s dry, it’s removed and all of those nasty, pore-clogging plugs come with it!
Tea For Acne Condition
We all know that green tea is beneficial not only for health but also for beauty. It is recommended drinking three or four cups of green tea daily to protect the heart health, reduce cholesterol levels, heal congestion and reduce the risk of cancer. Moreover, a study found out that tea can reduce acne breakouts significantly if it is used externally. Epigallocatechin-3-gallate or EGCG, a powerful antioxidant in green tea, has the ability to reduce oil production, treat inflammation and inhibit bacterial growth in your skin. You can drink several cups of green tea daily to keep your skin healthy and glowing. To prevent further acne breakouts, you can use green tea topically.
- Steep 1 green tea bag and 2 teaspoons of organic tea leaves in ½ cup of hot water for about 4 to 5 minutes
- Strain and wait for a few minutes until the liquid cools down to the room temperature
- Dip a cotton pad in this green tea liquid and then apply it to acne and pimples on your skin
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water
Moreover, if you have green tea bags, you can apply them to your eyelids to treat dark circles around your eyes.
Don’t Miss: What To Do For Acne
Wash Your Face With Acne Soap
Washing your face with regular soap isn’t enough to make your breakouts better. The best face wash for acne is effective at removing oil and dirt, but still gentle enough to use regularly without overdrying your skin. Look for topical acne medication ingredients salicylic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide in your face wash and use gentle, nonabrasive cleansing techniques.
Don’t Irritate Your Acne With Toothpaste Or Rubbing Alcohol
Sure, weve all heard that toothpaste or rubbing alcohol can help dry out a zit, but many DIY treatments aren’t solutions for how to treat acne. In fact, applying toothpaste or rubbing alcohol are more likely to cause irritation and dryness than treat the actual pimple. Instead, stick with topical over-the-counter and prescription spot treatments with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide that are specially made to target pimples, says Dr. Hammerman. For an all-natural spot treatment, she suggests dabbing tea tree oil on the area a few times a day with a cotton ball.
Recommended Reading: Why Do I Have Lower Back Acne
Risks And Side Effects
Acne will sometimes go away on its own with time, especially if you get acne as a teenager or during a stressful period of your life. But if youre suffering from ongoing cystic acne then its best to visit a doctor for help, since this usually points to a bigger problem.
Big, inflamed, painful cysts under your skin indicate that an underlying health problem may be to blame, such as PCOS, a thyroid problem, etc. Talk to your doctor about potential causes and ways to treat acne holistically depending on your unique situation.
- Acne describes several different types of skin conditions that cause acne symptoms like whiteheads, blackheads, papules, pustules, cysts and discoloration or scars.
- Causes of acne include clogged cores, bacterial infections, hormonal imbalances or fluctuations, inflammation, a poor diet, stress and lack of sleep,
- Some of the top home remedies for acne and acne scars are gently cleansing skin, toning, moisturizing, balancing hormones, protecting skin from sun damage, using essential oils and eating a healthy diet.
- After you have gotten rid of acne using home remedies for acne, its important to stick with a healthy diet, drink plenty of water, keep up with your new skin care routine and change your pillowcase every week to prevent breakouts from returning.
How To Use It
Its important to note that applying apple cider vinegar to your skin can cause burns and irritation. If you choose to try it, use it in small amounts and dilute it with water.
The organic acids in apple cider vinegar may help kill acne-causing bacteria and reduce the appearance of scars. Applying it to the skin may cause burns or irritation, so it should be used carefully.
Zinc is an essential nutrient thats important for cell growth, hormone production, metabolism, and immune function.
Its relatively well studied compared with other natural treatments for acne.
Research indicates that people with acne tend to have lower levels of zinc in their blood than those with clear skin .
Several studies have also shown that taking zinc orally may help reduce acne.
For example, a 2014 review found that zinc is more effective at treating severe and inflammatory acne than treating moderate acne .
The optimal dosage of zinc for acne has not been established, but several older studies have observed a significant reduction in acne using 3045 mg of elemental zinc per day .
Elemental zinc refers to the amount of zinc thats present in the compound. Zinc is available in many forms, and they contain varying amounts of elemental zinc.
Recommended Reading: What Can I Put On My Face For Acne
Homeopathic Remedies For Acne
What is good for acne? We have already discussed the home remedies, which are good for acne. But, some homeopathic remedies are also available for the treatment of acne.
1. Antimonium tartaricum : It is used for large pustules.
2. Hepar sulphuris calcareum : It is used when bad smelling pus starts forming in the pimples.
3. Calcarea carbonica : It is used when pimples breakout frequently.
4. Pulsatilla : It is used when acne bursts during menstruation period.
5. Sulphur : It is used for itchy eruptions.
6. Silicea : It is used for treating deep-seated acne.
Ways To Get Rid Of Pimples Fast
Considering that pimples are the most common skin complaint in the United States, we shouldnt be surprised that they seem to pop up at the most inconvenient times: the day before that important job interview, right before a celebration youve been anticipating, or just in time for the family photo shoot. Weve all been there! But while pimples are more complex than once thought, we dont have to simply suffer through the red blotches until they go away by themselves. Here, well look at how to get rid of pimples fast. But first
Rule # 1: Never try to pop a pimple! I know, its so tempting. But the only thing we achieve by messing with pimples is to make them even redder and more painful. Even worse, when we aggressively pinch or squeeze a pimple, it can damage the skin around it. Not only does this aggravate the area, it can also leave long-lasting pitting or scarring. In just a minute, well consider some betterand time-testedways to quickly remedy that unsightly blemish. But first, we should learn more about what pimples are.
To effectively treat any skin condition, we have to understand what it is. So, lets look at some basic facts about pimples.
Now that we understand what pimples are and how they develop, lets take a look at the top 6 methods for getting rid of pimples as quickly as possible.
Read Also: How To Treat Inflamed Acne
Apply Green Tea To The Skin
A lot of people drink green tea for its health benefits, but it can also be helpful when applied directly to the skin.
Green tea contains flavonoids and tannins, which are known to help fight inflammation and the bacteria that may cause pimples .
Its also high in the antioxidant epigallocatechin-3-gallate , which has been shown to fight inflammation, reduce sebum production, and inhibit the growth of P. acnes in people with acne-prone skin .
Multiple studies have shown that people with acne experience significantly less sebum production and pimples when they apply a 23% green tea extract to their skin .
There are a handful of skin care products on the market that contain green tea, but its very simple and cost-effective to make your own mixture at home.
You can get a quality green tea online.
Take A Fish Oil Supplement
Omega-3 fatty acids are healthy fats that offer a multitude of health benefits.
You must get these fats from your diet, but research shows that most people who eat a standard Western diet dont get enough of them .
Fish oils contain two main types of omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid .
High levels of EPA and DHA have been shown to decrease inflammatory factors, which may reduce the risk of acne .
In one study, 45 individuals with acne were given omega-3 fatty acid supplements containing both EPA and DHA daily. After 10 weeks, their acne decreased significantly .
Theres no specific recommended daily intake of omega-3 fatty acids. The 20152020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that healthy adults consume around 250 mg of combined EPA and DHA each day .
You can also get omega-3 fatty acids by eating salmon, sardines, anchovies, walnuts, chia seeds, and ground flax seeds.
Fish oils contain two main types of omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. Taking a fish oil supplement may help decrease acne.
While these results indicate that exfoliation may improve skin health and appearance, more research is needed on acne.
There are a wide variety of exfoliation products available, but you can also make a scrub at home using sugar or salt.
If you choose to try mechanical exfoliation, be sure to gently rub your skin to avoid damaging it.
Don’t Miss: What Does Clindamycin Do For Acne
Natural Honey Pore Strips Among Home Remedies For Acne
If the thought of sticking something akin to duct tape to your nose doesn’t do much for you, you can always try making your own pore strips at home. This natural acne treatment taps into the antibacterial and adhesive properties of natural honey to remove pore-clogging impurities with ingredients you probably already have at home:
1. Mix 1 tablespoon of organic raw honey in a small, microwave-safe dish with 1 teaspoon of milk.
2. Heat the mixture for 5 to 10 seconds and stir until combined.
3. When the honey and milk mixture has cooled to a comfortable temperature, apply a thin layer over the affected pores.
4. Immediately press a clean, dry cotton strip onto the skin and pat to secure.
5. Allow to dry for 20 to 30 minutes. It should not pull off easily.
6. Carefully peel the strip away with clean, dry hands.
7. Rinse the area with cool water and continue as usual with topical acne treatment and/or moisturizer.
Apply Ice To The Pimple:
The first step in calming down an angry, painful pimple is to apply ice. Wrap some ice in a cloth and press it against the inflamed area for 3 to 4 minutes at a time. If the ice melts too quickly, throw a few cubes in a plastic sandwich bag before wrapping in cloth. Repeat several times throughout the day to soothe the skin and reduce swelling.
Don’t Miss: How To Fade Dark Acne Scars
Does Coconut Oil Treat Acne Or Make It Worse
1 ). It most often occurs in teenagers, but it can also affect adults of all ages.
Because of coconut oils many health properties, some people have started using it to treat acne. This involves applying coconut oil directly to the skin, as well as eating it.
However, while coconut oil has been studied for various health benefits, very little scientific research has examined its ability to fight acne.
Acne Treatments That Really Work According To Dermatologists
When it comes to finding the right acne treatments, there are a million products out thereand theyre not all created equal. From acne washes to creams and spot treatments, the options can be overwhelming, making it impossible to tell which is truly the best acne treatment for you.
Even more frustrating? The fact that were still dealing with acne at all. Seriously, we thought the breakouts would be over soon after AP Calculus. But adult acne is a thing, and its actually something that can affect people in their 20s and 30s, and even well past their 50s.
And if you thought blackheads and whiteheads were annoying, the deep painful pimples that often pop up in adult acne are much more aggravatingand harder to get rid of. We talked to dermatologists to find out which acne treatments are the most effective on all types of pimples. Keep reading to learn what causes acne in the first place, plus the best acne treatments and acne medications worth spending your hard-earned dollars on.
Read Also: Does The Nexplanon Cause Acne
Tips To Prevent Acne On Other Body Parts
Acne on the back is really very irritating. Here are easy home solutions for back acne.
- Wash your back with mild soap.
- Avoid using rough back rubbing brushes or loofahs.
- Left over conditioners or shampoo from wet hair may lead to acne. So, pull up your strands.
- Prefer warm shower bath.
- Change your bed sheet, frequently.
- Do not wear tight fitting clothes.
- Dont wear synthetic or rough fabric clothes.
- Submerge in salt water.
Acne on shoulders is very disappointing as one cannot wear sleeveless dresses. Acne on shoulders is sometime very severe, which cannot be treated by our own. Still, you can follow these tips:
- Take a shower after exercising or work out.
- Use body cleanser to clean acne.
- Use a mild body wash while taking a shower.
- Do not rub acne harshly.
- Skip dairy products.
Cystic acne is the most severe form of Acne Vulgaris, which is very painful and irritating. This type of acne is soft and filled with pus. Cystic acne can occur on any body part, be it back, face, or shoulders. Go through these tips to get rid of cystic acne.
- Gently rub aloe vera on the affected area.
- Avoid popping it.
- Apply mango paste to get natural shine.
- Avoid using oily cosmetics.
- Honey mixed with cinnamon powder is also a good remedy for cystic acne.
- Remove make-up before going to bed.
- Wash your face after removing make-up.
- Apply coconut oil, which acts as a good hydrating agent for skin.