What Are Forehead Pimples
Pimples, also known as acne, are common for most people. The red, painful bumps can crop up at any time and can be unsightly and uncomfortable. Pimples happen when pores in your skin get blocked and inflamed. They can appear anywhere on your body, but some areas are extra acne-prone.
Your forehead is one spot where you might notice pimples cropping up frequently. Learn more about why forehead pimples are so common, what to do about them, and how to prevent future breakouts.
Best Home Remedies To Reduce Pimples And Acne On Your Forehead
Apply the following home remedies and natural treatments to get rid of acne bumps and pimples on your forehead fast, without leaving scars:
1. Clay Mask With Tea Tree Oil: Prepare a thin clay mask with water. Add few drops of tea tree oil, and apply the mask on your forehead. Leave the mask overnight, and rinse it off in the morning. Cover your pillow with a clean towel to avoid mess. This natural mask will cure the acne bumps and pimples on your forehead.
2. Lemon Juice: Dab a few drops of lemon juice over the zits on your overhead, leaving it overnight. The best time for this home remedy to use is at night. Make it sure to not step out in the sun, if you apply it during the day. Lemon juice makes your skin photosensitive that can be damaged by the sun light / rays and cause skin blemishes. If you apply this remedy regularly, it will reduce the appearance of acne and pimples on your forehead.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar: This is another good natural remedy for forehead pimples. Simply dab a little bit of apple cider vinegar once or twice a day over your forehead zits.
5. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is well known to very helpful in curing forehead acne and acne in general. Take a cotton pad and soak it in water, and then wring it well. Just put 2 drops of tea tree oil over it and apply it on your forehead acne and pimples. Tea tree oil contains antibiotic properties that can exterminate acne causing germs and bacteria.
Follow Up With An Oil
Even if youre prone to cystic acne, you should still use a facial moisturizer regularly in order to maintain a healthy skin barrier.
Patients who are prone to cystic breakouts should use oil-free, noncomedogenic moisturizers to hydrate their skin, Rodney says. However, she notes that noncomedogenic products wont necessarily treat your breakouts they just wont contribute to the problem. That said, choosing a moisturizer that contains ceramides, niacinamide, or hyaluronic acid can be especially helpful. These ingredients help to reduce redness and inflammation and restore the skins protective barrier. This is important because many acne-fighting active ingredients tend to be drying and irritating to the skin.
Dr. Dennis Gross Stress Repair Face Cream is a noncomedogenic moisturizer that contains all three. Use it after washing with a salicylic-acid cleanser.
Dont Miss: How Do I Get Acne Scars Off My Face
You May Like: What Foods To Eat To Clear Acne
Add Exfoliating To Your Routine
Exfoliating once to twice per week can be beneficial for preventing forehead acne and to smooth out your skins surface.
It helps to remove dead skin cells from your skins surface which clog your pores and lead to acne.
There are two types of exfoliating products: those with chemical exfoliants and those with physical exfoliants.
Chemical exfoliants use acids, such as glycolic acid, that you gently apply to your face to loosen the connection between the skin cells so they can be removed.
Physical exfoliators or scrubs consist of beads that you use to scrub your face.
If you scrub too hard with physical ones or use any exfoliator too often, you can worsen forehead acne by irritating your skins surface.
This irritation causes zits to get inflamed and your skin to produce excess oil, both of which worsen acne.
How To Get Rid Of Pimples And Acne On Your Forehead Forehead Acne Treatments
1. Benzoyl peroxide: Apply a very thin layer of 2.5 percent benzoyl peroxide onto your whole forehead. It kills the bacteria, known as P. acnes, which contributes in the formation of pimples. If you dont see any positive result after using it for 4 to 6 weeks, try a higher formulation of this medication.
2. Lactic Or Glycolic Acid: These acids work as a spot-on treatment. Dermatologists recommend hydroxyl acid, as it works to dry out surface of the pimple, peels and sloughs it off. It also helps in reducing inflammation. Start with 10 percent formulation, and if it does not give results go for higher ones.
3. Exfoliat With Salicylic Acid: Cleanse your forehead twice a week with an exfoliator containing salicylic acid. This works to get rid of dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. Salicylic acid works by penetrating the hair follicle and helps preventing development of clogs formation.
Read Also: How To Help Hormonal Acne
Cortisone Cream Or Injection
Cortisone cream fights inflammation and is one of the acne remedies that can help prevent scarring from worsening. Available over the counter, cortisone cream can be applied directly to inflamed acne lesions to reduce swelling and redness. A doctor can also inject cortisone into a deeper acne cyst or lesion to shrink it and help prevent scarring.
Hair And Hair Products
Your hair can also be the source of forehead acne. If you dont wash your hair often enough or if you have oily hair, the oil can deposit on your forehead and clog pores there.
Breakouts might also be due to the hair products you use. Hair styling and straightening products are notorious for causing acne. These include:
These products often contain ingredients like cocoa butter or coconut oil. They can leave your skin extra oily. Acne caused by hair products is called pomade acne.
Also Check: How Do I Get Rid Of Acne On My Chest
How To Treat Forehead Acne Breakouts
Acne breakouts that affect your forehead can be annoying to deal with, especially when youre prone to getting lots of pimples at once.
Luckily, forehead acne is almost always treatable with over-the-counter treatments, prescription acne medications, good skincare habits or a combination of all of these things.
Below, weve listed the most effective treatment options for forehead breakouts and other forms of facial acne.
How To Prevent Acne And Pimples On Forehead Best Practices
1. In the first place try to minimize the above potential triggers for acne breakouts on your forehead by making changes in your lifestyle and habits. More specifically you can follow following practices to avoid forehead bumps and pimples.
2. Washing your hair every day with shampoo is essential for forehead acne treatment. Although shampooing every day might dry out your hair, but its likely that an oily scalp is causing your forehead acne bumps and pimples.
3. Dont allow your hair to rest on your forehead, as that may worsen the pimples on your forehead. Pull back and tie your hair into a ponytail. Shun using greasy hair gels and mousse.
4. One of the best ways is to prevent forehead acne bumps is to keep your forehead clean of any bacteria, dead skin cells and dermis by washing your face two times a day with an antibacterial, gentle face wash. Be aware not to clean your forehead too extensively and make it sure to use washed bath towels, but not the someone elses towel. Do not scrub, but just pat dry your forehead.
5. Use Mild Hair Products: If you have substantial forehead acne bumps avoid using oily hair products use gentle hair products devoid of excessive fragrances and chemicals, as they can drip down onto your forehead to clog the pores causing skin irritation and acne breakouts on your forehead. If you have oily hair, wash your hair more often to prevent seeping of oil from hair onto your forehead. Also keep long hair away from your face and forehead.
You May Like: What’s The Cause Of Back Acne
Dandruff Shampoo Might Be The Cure
A condition that is often confused with traditional acne is fungal acne.
This is caused by a yeast called Malassezia that thrives in hot climates.
This yeast gets trapped in hair follicles and causes inflammatory bumps to appear that resemble traditional acne.
This is the same yeast that can cause dandruff, or seborrheic dermatitis.
Seborrheic dermatitis commonly affects the eyebrow, scalp, sides of nose and beard areas, similar to acne.
A great treatment option for fungal acne is to use a dandruff shampoo that contains the following ingredients: ketoconazole, sulfur, zinc pyrithione or selenium sulfide.
These shampoos can be used as a face wash to treat fungal acne. It is important to leave them on for 2-3 minutes after cleansing so that the medication can penetrate your skin and kill the yeast.
Apply A Targeted Spot Treatment
Benzoyl peroxide works by killing the propionibacteria acnes, or P. acnes . P. acnes cannot survive in oxygen-rich environments. By bringing oxygen to the pore, benzoyl peroxide kills the acne-causing bacteria and reduces the incidence of breakouts. Clinical studies cite benzoyl peroxide has a proven track record of safety and efficacy for the treatment of acne.
Note: Applying benzoyl peroxide every night may be a bit drying. For this reason, start with application every other day. Gradually increase or decrease your frequency depending on how severe your forehead acne is.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Small Acne Bumps
Here Are A Few Causes Of Acne:
1. Bad cosmetics: Forehead acne can occur due to certain makeup or hair products that may not suit you. Chemicals in certain shampoos, sprays or gels may drip off your hair and irritate the sensitive skin leading to blocked pores and acne flare ups as a reaction. Face acne may occur due to presence of laolin — it is a specific ingredient found in your foundation. When pores become clogged from such irritating ingredient, they attempt to flush themselves out, consequently resulting in acne.
2. Dandruff and greasy scalp:
Dandruff is one of the most common causes of forehead acne.
Exfoliation is the best way to remove dead cells, but limit it twice a week.
Clarisonic Mia Smart 3
This device will help you wash your face more effectively, says Palm. A timer tells you when to move on to the next area of your face. Its also waterproof, so you can use it in the shower. Since Clarisonic is going out of business on September 30, PMD’s Clean Smart Facial Cleansing Device is a similar option to consider. The brush is made of silicone, meaning its waterproof, antibacterial and odor-resistant. It also vibrates 7,000 times per minute to help remove oil and dirt in your skin, which helps to prevent future breakouts.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Acne Off Your Back And Shoulders
Why Do I Have Acne
Acne is most commonly linked to the changes in hormone levels during puberty, but can start at any age.
Certain hormones cause the grease-producing glands next to hair follicles in the skin to produce larger amounts of oil .
This abnormal sebum changes the activity of a usually harmless skin bacterium called P. acnes, which becomes more aggressive and causes inflammation and pus.
The hormones also thicken the inner lining of the hair follicle, causing blockage of the pores . Cleaning the skin doesn’t help to remove this blockage.
Can Acne Be Prevented
Preventing acne is difficult if not impossible during normal hormonal changes. But some things can help:
- Wash your face daily with warm water and a mild facial cleanser.
- Routinely use moisturizer.
- You dont have to stop using makeup, but try to use non-comedogenic products and remove makeup at the end of each day.
- Keep your hands away from your face.
You May Like: How To Drain Nodular Acne At Home
Regularly Cleanse Your Forehead
Cleansing is a critical first step in any proper skincare routine. Cleansing your forehead will help remove excess dirt, sebum and environmental impurities. Additionally, it will remove any makeup or sunscreen that you have on your skin.
By preventing build-up and clogged pores, you will ultimately lessen the chance of acne developing in the first place. In skincare, prevention is worth a pound of cure. Be diligent! Check out our list of best drugstore face washes.
Where Are You Breaking Out
Look carefully at where youre breaking out. There is a theory called face mapping that suggests the location of your acne could present clues about whats causing it. Traditional Chinese medicine, for example, maintains that a weakness or toxicity in a certain organ or gland in the body can result in acne showing up in certain areas of the skin. You can use this theory to do some detective work on your breakouts.Pimples here are usually linked to the digestive system, and may indicate that youre having a hard time breaking down certain foods. It may also indicate liver problems, stress, or an irregular sleep schedule.Try using bitter hearbs or digestive enzymes like bromelain and papaya before each meal to help break down foods, and make sure youre getting 7-9 hours of sleep each night. If you suspect liver issues, try some dandelion tea or some extra garlic and onions. Drinking hot water with lemon in the morning may also help.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Hormonal Acne Overnight
See A Dermatologist For Persistent Forehead Acne
Its recommended to see a dermatologist if you have persistent forehead acne. Additionally, you should consider seeing a dermatologist if nothing youve tried over the counter is working. It can be difficult to treat persistent forehead acne, and you may need professional treatments. Dermatologists are acne specialists and can quickly identify problems and solutions before anyone else.
Forehead Acne Treatment Causes Of Acne On Forehead
October 15, 2016 by Twinkle
Most of us wrestle with the Acne. No one detects whats the root cause of it. They are just sneaking to the makeup to dangle their beauty. But how long it works. In spite of hiding the Acne, also makes your Pimples worse and leads to permanent Ace Scars. So, What to do & How to clear up Acne on Forehead? Without any breakouts and Pimple blemishes. Have a glance throughout this article to know the causes of Acne on Forehead and natural methods to get rid of Pimples on forehead forever.
You May Like: How To Remove Baby Acne
Hydrate Your Skin From Within
Yes, forehead acne can appear thanks to skin dehydration too! Your skin tries to compensate for lack of moisture by producing more sebum and this makes forehead acne a lot more likely.
Not only drinking enough water helps to moisturize your skin but it will also restore the balance of your skin in the process. Keeping skin hydrated can even prevent infections from forming on the skin surface. It will also slow down the development of forehead acne, in case youre already in the trouble. So make sure you drink plenty of water every day.
Is Aloe Vera Good For Acne
Aloe vera has antibacterial properties that can help control and reduce acne-causing bacteria. Two other ingredients that have been studied and found to have this same effect are cinnamon and honey. By combining all three for an at-home spa treatment, you’ll be upping your chances at smooth skin that’s acne-free.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Acne Holes
What To Expect From Acne Removal Procedures
During acne extraction, a dermatologist uses sterilized equipment to clean out your pores. You may need to have your skin exfoliated first.
Blackheads and whiteheads can return, so youll need to follow a skin-care plan to prevent new blemishes.
A corticosteroid injection will flatten most acne nodules or cysts within 48 to 72 hours.
The key to clearing a pimple with incision and drainage is to do this at the right time.
How A Dermatologist Can Help You Get Rid Of Cystic Acne
If at-home remedies arent helping to treat your cystic acne flare ups, its time to see a dermatologist for treatment. A dermatologist can prescribe medications that are stronger than what you can find over-the-counter or do at home.
Depending on whats causing your acne flare ups, a dermatologist can prescribe the following:
- Antibiotics to fight infections and reduce inflammation
- Isotretinoin to treat severe cases
- Spironolactone to regulate oil production
- Steroid shots injected directly into cysts to reduce inflammation and lessen pain
Not all treatments are appropriate for all patients, and some medications may come with unpleasant side effects. Your dermatologist will talk with you about which option is best for you depending on the cause of your cystic acne. You may have to try a few different treatments to find the one thats most effective for you.
You May Like: Is Dairy Bad For Acne
You May Like: How Do You Get Rid Of Acne Scars Naturally
Topical Ayurvedic Herbal Applications
It balances Vata and Kapha doshas. Prepare a fine paste by mixing vacha powder and rosewater. Add turmeric powder to it. Apply it as a detox mask for your forehead acne.
It balances Kapha and Pitta doshas. Prepare a mask by adding a spoon of honey and turmeric powder to a spoon of manjistha powder. Apply it on your forehead and rinse it off after 30 min.
It balances all three doshas. Mix ¼ spoon of giloy juice, spoon of turmeric powder, and spoon of neem powder to prepare a paste. Apply it on your forehead and rinse it off after 30-45 minutes. Repeat this thrice a week for best results.
It balances Vata and Kapha doshas. Add a spoon of honey to 2 spoons of cinnamon powder. Apply it on your forehead acne and rinse it off after half an hour. Also, you can include cinnamon in your diet regularly as it can lower the insulin levels in your blood , thus, controlling the oil production in your forehead.
It balances Kapha and Pitta doshas. Put 10-12 neem leaves, 2-3 spoons of aloe vera gel in the grinder and prepare a smooth paste. Now, add 5-8 drops of neem oil to the paste and apply it as a facemask to resolve your acne problems.
It balances Kapha and Vata doshas. Collect 10-12 thorns of shalmali tree. Grind them to make a smooth paste. Apply it on your forehead acne and wash it off after 30 minutes.