The Best Acne Scar Treatment
Scars form because collagen fills in damaged skin areas in a column pattern that mimics the wound. The collagen binds the skin, but it also pulls the skin down and contracts it making it a different texture from surrounding skin.
In scar treatments, we break up the collagen. Then, as it re-grows, it comes back more randomly and the web of collagen produces smoother skin. If youre living with scars, we have two primary treatments for breaking up the collagen and rejuvenating your skin.
Types Of Scars That People Get
Scar tissue forms from all sorts of accidental injuries, surgical procedures, or diseases or skin issues. The type of injury, as well as its severity and the location on the body where the injury occurred, will all affect the appearance of the scar. Other factors can also influence how the scar looks, including a persons age, sex, ethnicity, and genes.
There are many different types of scars, and each type of scar may look, feel, and heal differently. These can include the following categories:
Why Don’t All Breakouts Scar
When you get an absolute unit of a zit on your chin, you never know whether it will go away quietly in a week or haunt you for years. Why is it that some pimples scar and others don’t?
“There has to be significant inflammation in order for acne to scar,” Ciraldo explains. “When the skin is inflamed, extra blood cells move into the area. These cells turn on an enzyme production that includes specific wound-healing enzymes to produce collagen.” If your collagen functions normally, your skin doesn’t scar. But sometimes, “collagen-inhibiting enzymes, so-called MMPI enzymes,” mess with collagen production, Ciraldo explainsthat’s when you get a scar.
Cystic acne is the type of acne most likely to leave scars. In general, acne that scars tend to be pustular or cystic because it is infected,” Green says. “Comedonal acne, which mostly consists of whiteheads or blackheads, is much less likely to scar.
However, picking at your skin when you have a whitehead or a blackhead might increase inflammation, boosting your odds of getting a scar.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Acne Marks
Dermatological Procedures To Improve Or Remove Acne Scars
But while certain measures can help prevent new scarring, what are your options for minimizing the appearance of existing scars?
Common procedures to remove or improve acne scars include:
Dermabrasion This effective scar removal treatment uses a high-speed brush or other instrument to resurface your skin and remove or reduce the depth of scars. It can take up to three weeks for skin to heal.
Microdermabrasion For this less-intensive type of dermabrasion, a dermatologist or aesthetician uses a handheld device to remove surface skin. More than one treatment may be required, but theres no downtime, according to the AAD.
Chemical peel During a chemical peel, a chemical solution is applied to the skin. It removes the outer layer of your skin, resulting in a smoother, more even appearance. You may experience redness and peeling for three to seven days after the procedure, notes the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery .
Laser Your dermatologist can use a laser resurfacing treatment to remove the outer layer of your skin, contour areas of acne scars, or lighten redness around healed acne lesions. Healing may take between 3 and 10 days.
Natural Cures For Acne
If the thought of visiting a dermatologist makes you woozy, there are numerous ways to treat acne scars without involving lasers, surgery, or injections. But remember as with any medication, what works for one patient may not work for you. Only you can recognize if the medication you are using is improving your acne scars. Below are some of the most effective natural remedies you can use to treat acne.
Topical creams – You can use over the counter creams to stimulate new skin cell growth to reduce the appearance of scars. These ointments have alpha hydroxy acids that help to reduce swelling and itching.For scars that have raised tissue, they can be treated through the use of massage or pressure bandages to smooth out the build up scar tissue. Use gels that contain tea tree oil to treat acne marks. Tea tree oil has been known to cure the skin and make it smoother, but this remedy may result in allergic reactions in people who have sensitive skin.You can also use vinegar to get rid of acne marks. Vinegar behaves like a gentle chemical peel to remove the epidermis , and it enhances the turnover of old skin cells, which are replaced with new cells.Lime juice or lemon – rubbing lemon or lime juice to acne scars will eid in lightening the color of the scars so that they are less noticeable.
Recommended Reading: How To Reach Back Acne
How Do Dermatologists Prevent And Treat Scars
The treatments described on this page apply mainly to raised scars and keloids. Youll find information about treating other types of scars on these pages:
If you have a raised scar or keloid, your dermatologist may recommend one or more of the following treatments.
Pressure therapy: Applying pressure to a wound while its healing can:
- Reduce a scar, especially while a burn heals
- Prevent a keloid if your skin tends to form this type of scar
- Prevent a keloid from returning after its surgically removed
To apply pressure, a patient wears a pressure dressing, which may be an elastic bandage, stocking, or earring.
Some patients find the pressure dressing uncomfortable and stop wearing it too soon. To get results, however, you may have to wear the pressure dressing for as long as one year. You may also need to get a new pressure garment every 6 to 8 weeks.
If you have a wound on your face, pressure therapy is not a treatment option.
Silicone gel : Used since 1982, silicone can:
- Treat a raised scar by reducing its size, hardness, redness, swelling, itch, or stiffness
- Prevent a raised scar, especially after surgery
- Prevent a scar from developing after surgery to remove the scar
Studies show that the silicone gel sheets appear to work better than the silicone ointment.
If side effects occur, tell your dermatologist. You may need to stop wearing the sheeting and use another treatment.
Polyurethane dressing: This is a moist, flexible pad. You wear it to:
Start Acne Treatment Ahead Of Time
If you break out once a month or in a predictable cycle, start treating your skin early.
The type of acne treatment that works best varies from person to person, but consider applying your acne serum, retinol product or antibacterial topical before the breakout even begins.
“In addition to these topicals, wearing sunscreen can help prevent any hyperpigmentation that may occur as a result of acne,” adds Christenson. “Just be sure to choose a sunscreen that’s appropriate for your skin. A sunscreen that clogs your pores can make your acne worse, causing more chance for scarring.”
Read Also: Does Cerave Foaming Cleanser Help With Acne
Do Acne Scars Ever Disappear
One of the first questions most people ask when seeking treatment for acne scars is if the scars will ever fully disappear. The answer is the same for acne scars as it is for every other scar you have: No scar ever fully disappears . This is because scars form when your skin is damaged in the dermal level, the layer of skin where new skin cells originate. As your body heals the wound, it creates new collagen fibers, and this repair of damaged tissue results in a scar. . Once you have a scar, it’s yours for life.
Now that you’ve heard the bad news, it’s time for the good news. You may not be able to make those scars disappear, but there are things you can do to reduce the size, color and appearance of your scars . Today, some acne scar treatments can reduce and lighten the appearance of scars to the point they’re almost undetectable.
If you’re ready to reduce the appearance of your acne scars, but you don’t want to go under the knife — or a laser — read on to learn about less-invasive treatments for acne scars.
Not all acne causes scars. Some acne can leave behind temporary pseudo-scars — the skin will appear red and inflamed when the acne is active and may even leave behind scar-like tissue, but the injury isn’t deep enough to scar. After a few months, the pseudo-scar disappears. Your genes also play a role in determining whether your acne will scar — some people are simply more prone to scarring than others .
How To Make Mild Acne Scars Go Away Faster
Although mild acne scars are going to go away on their own within 3 to 6 months, you can enhance the process using some remedies you can do at home in daily basis, such as:
- Applying topical retinoid that enhances collagen production in the skin cells. Sufficient collagen will help the skin to grow new healthy skin cells that are going to replace the damaged, hyper-pigmented ones.
- Increasing vitamin C consumption by taking in some vegetables and fruits loaded with the vitamin, vitamin C is an essential anti-oxidant that will help skin repair. You can also apply vitamin C topically. The most effective home remedy you can use to perform this function is lemon. The fruit is rich in vitamin C, making it the most effective anti-oxidant. Dilute the lemon juice with few drops of water and apply it onto the face for several days. You will notice the light acne marks begin to fade significantly.
- Avoiding sunlight and wearing sunscreen while going out under the ultraviolet. Ultraviolet ray may darken new acne marks and make them permanent or very hard to get rid of. Hence, it is important to avoid excessive sunlight while having new acne marks, and wear effective sunscreen whenever going out.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Acne Caused By B12
Do Acne Scars Ever Go Away & what To Do To Get Rid Of It
Overcoming skin acne is a tremendous accomplishment, and can convey a radical new sparkle to your self-assurance. Shockingly, majority of the people are left with unattractive acne scars and dull, red skin that exhibits a new issue. The confidence dragging skin issues seem never ending. Acne scars torments the best of us. Acne scars turn up after that annoying pimple has died down and can stay nearby for a considerable length of time. It does not mean that you cannot get rid of the scar issues.
Why Do We Get Acne Scars
From my personal experience, I can say that one of the most important way to get rid of acne scars is to know the real reason behind them. Knowing the root cause helps you to cure it completely.
The basic reason as to why we get acne is due to the hormonal changes in our body. But the scientific and explanatory reason is explained as follows:
- Our body has hair follicles and so has our face. These contain oil glands named as sebaceous glands.
- Now, these oil glands basically secrete an oil which lubricates our skin and the hair follicles present on it. The amount of oil secreted is appropriate most of the time and does not lead to any kind of problem.
- But, as our body grows and matures, due to certain hormone imbalances, this debacle gland starts to produce more oil than required by our skin and the hair follicles.
- dot-circle-o As a result, the pores present in the face get clogged due to the excess secretion of oil and dead skin cells.
- dot-circle-o This leads to trapping of bacteria inside the pores. The bacteria is known as Propionibacterium and is responsible for causing acne. This leads to swelling and redness over a small portion of the skin, known as acne.
- dot-circle-o Few pores open very deep in the skin and this causes nodules. This may lead to cyst which are often bigger than the usual pimples or acne.
Recommended Reading: How Can I Get Rid Of Acne On My Chin
Can Natural Remedies Improve Acne Scars
Because acne scars result from changes in the amount and structure of collagen and elastic fibers in the skin, the use of natural remedies such as apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, coconut oil, and other products arent effective in reducing scarring once it develops, says Shah.
She suggests making an appointment with a dermatologist to discuss treatments for existing scars.
What Exactly Is A Scar
When you injure your skin, your body naturally repairs the damage. How your body repairs this damage depends on how deeply the injury penetrates your skin.
If the injury damages the top layer of your skin, youll likely see new skin when the wound heals. To repair damage that goes deeper than the first layer, your body makes a tissue thats thicker than your skin. This thicker tissue often becomes a scar.
New scars have a pink to reddish color. As a scar matures, it often turns lighter or darker than your skin.
Most scars are flat, and the skin on top tends to look wrinkled.
If your body makes lots of extra tissue, youll see a raised scar. Sometimes, the body makes an excessive amount of extra tissue and you see a raised scar that is bigger than the original wound. This type of raised scar is called a keloid.
You may see a sunken scar if something causes a lot of inflammation in your skin, such as acne or chickenpox. This happens because the inflammation destroys collagen in your skin. This type of scar tends to appear when acne or chickenpox heals.
You May Like: What Is Good For Acne On Face
How Do You Get Rid Of Severe Acne Scars
The most effective treatments to get rid of severe acne scars include
- Chemical peels: This involves the use of strong chemicals to remove the outer layer of the skin and reduce the appearance of scars. Some salicylic acid, glycolic acid containing peels are available OTC.
- Botox injections: These are highly effective for acne scars with puckered skin around them. These puckered areas can be treated with botulinum toxin injections to improve the appearance of skin.
- Dermabrasion: The procedure involves the removal of the top, damaged layer of skin with a rapidly rotating wire brush or wheel with a rough surface. The procedure deeply exfoliates the top layer of skin to reduce the appearance of deeper scars.
- Microneedling: This uses a small, handheld pen or needle-studded roller to puncture the skin on the surface of the scars. As the punctured skin heals, it makes collagen and reduces the visibility of acne scars by smoothing out the skin.
- Laser resurfacing: The procedure involves removing the top layer of skin to reveal younger underlying skin cells to reduce the appearance of scars. It creates a more even skin surface.
Speak with a dermatologist to determine the best treatment for your acne scars.
Question #: What Does Face5 Recommend For Healing Acne Scars
Through our Acne Solution Program, the majority of Face 5s patients receive a mild chemical peel treatment at their bi-monthly appointment we pride ourselves on utilizing a formula specifically curated to treat acne-prone skin with none of the standard downtime associated with peels. That means minimal discomfort, zero redness, and reduced peeling in the wake of your treatment!
To best exfoliate clogged pores, treat hyperpigmentation, and soothe inflamed acne, Face 5 tests each patients skin at the beginning of each treatment to determine which level and strength of chemical peel are suited to the situation. Our acne scars treatments come in multiple packages:
- A Full Treatment with Professional LED Light Therapy
- An Express Treatment without Professional LED Light Therapy
- Acne Scar Reduction Therapy
- Acne Scar Reduction Therapy for the Shoulders and Back
- Collagen Induction Therapy for Anti-Aging
- The Package Purchase Discount, which features three of the above services for a discounted rate
Whether you have further acne scars-related questions or are looking to book your first scarring treatment, contact Face 5 today to speak to a professional acne specialist.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Back Acne Fast
Will My Scar Go Away
Many scars will fade without treatment. Keloids and depressed acne scars, however, wont fade. As you age, depressed acne scars tend to become more noticeable as your skin loses its firmness.
Treatment can help fade scars more quickly. If you have a keloid or depressed acne scar, treatment can make it less noticeable.
Although treatment can help, its always best to prevent a scar whenever possible. The right wound care can reduce your risk of getting a scar or make a scar less noticeable.
You can learn how to care for a wound at: Proper wound care: How to minimize a scar
ImagesImage 1: Used with permission of the American Academy of Dermatology National Library of Dermatologic Teaching Slides.
ReferencesAmerican Academy of Dermatology. Scar treatment can help improve patients quality of life. News release issued July 28, 2016. Last accessed November 14, 2017.
Tziotzios C, Profyris C, et al. Cutaneous scarring: Pathophysiology, molecular mechanisms, and scar reduction therapeutics Part II. Strategies to reduce scar formation after dermatologic procedures.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012 66:13-24.
Zurada JM, Kriegel D, et al. Topical treatments for hypertrophic scars.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006 55:1024-31.
Natural Cures For Acne Scars
If the thought of knives and needles makes you woozy, there are many ways to treat acne scars that don’t involve surgery or injections. As with any treatment, what works for one person may not work for another. Only you can decide if the treatment you’re using is improving your acne scars.
Here are some of the more popular natural treatments available today:
- Topical creams — You can get both over-the-counter and prescription-strength creams that will stimulate new skin cell growth to reduce the appearance of scars. These creams often contain alpha hydroxy acids or salicylic acids, and some contain corticosteroids or antihistamines to help reduce inflammation and itching .
- Massage and pressure bandages — Hypertrophic scars, or scars that have raised tissue, can be treated through the use of massage or pressure bandages to smooth out the build-up of scar tissue. This method often needs to be repeated for several months before results are visible .
- Tea tree oil — Gels that contain tea tree oil have been known to heal the skin and make it smoother, but this treatment may cause allergic reactions in people with sensitive skin.
- Vinegar — Vinegar acts like a mild chemical peel to remove the top layer of skin, and it promotes a turnover of old skin cells, which are replaced with new cells.
- Lemon or lime juice — Applying lemon or lime juice to acne scars will help lighten the color of the scars so they’re less noticeable .
Don’t Miss: Is Antibiotic Ointment Good For Acne