Things To Keep In Mind While Using Benzoyl Peroxide
If youre using benzoyl peroxide, watch out for:
Bleached sheets. Benzoyl peroxide can bleach fabric, so avoid using your favorite colorful beach towel and other linens youd like to keep pristine.
Too much sun. Dont skip the sun protectionyour skin needs it to heal from acne!
Aczone. Benzoyl peroxide doesnt mix with this specific prescription acne treatment.
Q: Is Benzoyl Peroxide Bad For Skin
A: Nope! Benzoyl peroxide is safe. Over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide products come in a range of strengths. The mildest strength , according to ScienceDirect, is BPO 2.5%. BPO 5% and BPO 10% are stronger. It can help to start slowly by using it a few times a week and then increasing depending on your tolerance
If youre using it for the first time, it could make skin red or cause dryness or irritation when you first start using it. Over time, that should go away. Depending on the formula, benzoyl peroxide cream might stain clothing, towels, and pillowcases.
Ready to add a benzoyl peroxide power player into your skincare routine? Take your pick from these Clean & Clear® acne solutions with benzoyl peroxide.
Dr Song Benzoyl Peroxide Wash 10% Acne Treatment: Acne Face Wash & Butt Back Body Wash
as of February 24, 2022 4:50 am
- Dr Song offers a 100 DAY NO HASSLE 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE – you don’t even need to return the item!
- Anti Acne Cleanser lasts 1-2 months and comes with pump bottle. Can be used both as a acne face wash and benzoyl peroxide body wash
- 10% Benzoyl Peroxide wash for face body and back with non-irritating formula and deep penetrating medical grade mirco-benzoyl peroxide
- Acne medication, no parabens or animal testing
- This acne product works well as a back acne treatment, face acne treatment, body acne, acne spot treatment, cystic acne treatment, adult acne treatment and acne treatment for teens.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Best Foundation For Acne Prone Skin
When To See A Doctor
No acne product will clear up your blemishes and scars overnight. Such is the case with benzoyl peroxide. It can take up to six weeks for new products to take full effect.
If you dont see any improvements after six weeks, consider seeing a dermatologist. They might recommend a prescription-strength formula, especially if your acne is severe. They may also recommend an entirely different treatment option.
Be prepared to answer questions about your acne and its severity so your dermatologist can determine the best treatment option possible. They will also conduct a skin exam to see the type of acne you have.
Can Benzoyl Peroxide Cause Wrinkles 25
Didn’t find the answer you are looking for?
Talk to experienced dermatologist online and get your health questions answered in just 5 minutes.
Say goodbye to all skin and hair troubles
Consult with a dermatologist online
- 5-min response
The question asked on this page is a free question. You can ask a free health question by downloading the Practo app.
You May Like: Can Iud Help With Acne
Can Benzoyl Peroxide Bleach Your Hair
A study from 1973 reported that a 15 year old girl suffered from scalp and eyebrows being bleached following the user of benzoyl peroxide. However, it notes that previously, side-effects similar to this have never been reported. It’s recommended to try to keep benzoyl peroxide contact to acne lesions. As noted above, benzol peroxide will bleach towels and fabrics.
What Are Some Side Effects That I Need To Call My Doctor About Right Away
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash hives itching red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever wheezing tightness in the chest or throat trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking unusual hoarseness or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
You May Like: How To Treat Stress Acne
How To Cope With Side Effects
What to do about:
- dry skin â apply a moisturiser and lip balm regularly . Try to take shorter showers, using warm water rather than hot.
- red or peeling skin â try using the gel or wash less often, or stop using it for a few days until the irritation goes away, then start again. Do not use other products on your skin in the meantime. Speak to a doctor if your symptoms do not get better or are severe.
- burning or stinging â try using the gel or wash less often . It might help to stop using the gel for a few days until the irritation goes away, then start again. If the irritation does not go away after this time, stop using it and speak to a doctor.
Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatments
Over the years, benzoyl peroxide has become a gold standard for treating acne because it kills P.acnes bacteria, unclogs blocked pores, keeps those pores clear, and reduces inflammation. Veryfew other acne-fighting ingredients have so many benefits. See for yourself by trying proactivsproducts that feature benzoyl peroxide.
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Newborn Acne
How To Apply Benzoyl Peroxide
Work up to it
Always patch test before applying to your entire face! Apply a small amount of the benzoyl peroxide product in the evening to a small area on your forehead . If there’s no irritation after 24hrs, apply the benzoyl peroxide product to your entire face every other night. If theres no irritation after a week, ease into every evening.Note: for those with sensitive or dry skin, we recommend starting with a product that has 2.5% of benzoyl peroxide since it is much less irritating than a 5% or 10% concentration, and it is just as effective.
Apply to entire face
Benzoyl peroxide works best when applied to your entire face because it removes dead skin cells from your pores and fights to prevent acne bacteria from growing. This helps prevent future breakouts…and obviously you want to prevent that.
What Are The Possible Side Effects
Benzoyl peroxide, like many acne medications, can cause dryness and peeling. Dry skin is the most common side effect.
The best way to combat this is to start off slowly, allowing your skin a chance to get used to the medication. Try using it every other day for a week or two. Using a good moisturizer will help too.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Acne Pigmentation
Precautions Before Using Benzoyl Peroxide
- Do you have a skin problem other than acne, such as eczema?
- Are you are taking or using any other medicines? This includes any creams or medicated soaps you are using that are available to buy without a prescription.
- Have you ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine?
If so, its important that you tell your doctor or pharmacist before you start using benzoyl peroxide. Sometimes a medicine isnt suitable for a person with certain conditions or it can only be used with extra care.
How Should I Use Benzoyl Peroxide Topical
Benzoyl peroxide topical can cause a rare but serious allergic reaction or severe skin irritation. Before you start using benzoyl peroxide topical, you may choose to apply a “test dose” to see if you have a reaction. Apply a very small amount of the medicine to 1 or 2 small acne areas every day for 3 days in a row. If there is no reaction, begin using the full prescribed amount on the 4th day.
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor.
Do not take by mouth. Topical medicine is for use only on the skin. Do not use on open wounds or on sunburned, windburned, dry, or irritated skin. Also avoid using benzoyl peroxide topical on wounds or on areas of eczema. Wait until these conditions have healed before using this medication.
Wash your hands before and after applying this medication.
Clean and pat dry the skin to be treated. Apply benzoyl peroxide in a thin layer and rub in gently.
Read and carefully follow any Instructions for Use provided with your medicine. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you do not understand these instructions.
You may need to shake the medicine just before each use.
Do not cover the treated skin area unless your doctor has told you to.
Benzoyl peroxide may bleach hair or fabrics. Avoid allowing this medication to come into contact with your hair or clothing.
It may take several weeks before your symptoms improve. Keep using the medication as directed and tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve.
You May Like: Can Birth Control Cause Acne
What Acne On The Nose Means
When sebum is combined with dead skin, dirt, or bacteria, acne can arise. The nose is especially vulnerable because your pores are usually larger in this area. The site of acne on your nose can also indicate health conditions. For example, acne on the front tip of your nose could indicate digestive issues.
To Use The Gel Follow These Steps:
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Forehead Acne
Before Using Clindamycin And Benzoyl Peroxide
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to clindamycin , benzoyl peroxide , lincomycin, or any other medications.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking. Be sure to mention any of the following: erythromycin and other topical medications for acne. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had stomach problems, ulcerative colitis , or severe diarrhea caused by antibiotics.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while using clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide, call your doctor.
- plan to avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight and to wear protective clothing, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide may make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
- ask your doctor or pharmacist to recommend a moisturizer to keep your skin soft during treatment.
Benzoyl Peroxide For Active Acne
As an antimicrobial, benzoyl peroxide works to treat active acne by reducing the number of bacteria on the surface of the skin. The importance of stopping acne before it spirals out of control cannot be overstated. The treatment should be aimed at clearing up the acne flare-ups before the scarring occurs. It is important to select the appropriate therapies to treat the acne before the scars take hold because reducing the look of scarring is more challenging than treating active blemishes.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Baby Acne On Face
Cerave Acne Foaming Cream Cleanser
- ACNE FACE WASH WITH BENZOYL PEROXIDE ] Helps clear pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads from skins surface and helps prevent new acne from forming.
- TRANSFORMING TEXTURE ] Unique cream-to-foam formula works to gently remove dirt, excess oil, and makeup from skins surface without leaving skin feeling stripped of moisture.
- HYDRATED SKIN ] Hyaluronic Acid helps to retain skins natural moisture while niacinamide helps to calm skin.
- ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Skin with acne lesions has been shown to have reduced levels of ceramides in comparison to healthy skin.
- GENTLE ON SKIN ] Fragrance free, paraben free, non-comedogenic
- 75-ounce tube of Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment with benzoyl peroxide to fight acne
- Lightweight acne treatment absorbs quickly with no burning and wont dry out skin.Oil free
- On-The-Spot treatment is clinically proven to be so effective that skin starts getting clearer on day 1 to give long-lasting acne treatment without over-drying or burning skin.
- The formula goes deep down into pores to kill acne bacteria that cause pimples and helps stop new ones from forming.
- This acne treatment is formulated with 2.
Mixing Benzoyl Peroxide With Other Active Ingredients
Typically, benzoyl peroxide should not be mixed with any other active ingredients. “It can lessen the effectiveness of some actives like vitamin C and retinol, so plan to use products with those actives at different times of the day or on different days,” says Dr. Hartman.
You should also make sure to only use one product containing benzoyl peroxide at a time. “So if you use a spot treatment with it, don’t use a face wash with it as well,” he says.
You May Like: Why Does My Acne Itch
What Are Benzoyl Peroxide’s Side Effects
So the side effects aren’t so great. Long story short, Benzoyl Peroxide can really bother your skin. ‘It cause the skin to be appear very red and irritated, as well as causing peeling and dryness,’ says Dr Goldfaden.
As it does contain peroxide which you may remember from turning your mousey hair blonde it can have unwanted bleaching effects, such as causing patches of your skin to appear lighter. You should also note that it could bleach your sink, if you’re standing over it to apply, or even your hair, if you touch your strands and your fingers have residue on them. Safe to say, you want to wash your hands thoroughly after applying the stuff.
Dr Goldfaden, to note, would recommend using a salicylic acid treatment over Benzoyl Peroxide. Why? ‘It’s less aggressive while delivering similar results.’
Dr Madan says it’s important to take care to wear SPF when using the treatment, as it can cause your skin to be more sensitive to the sunlight.
Mistake #: Using Acne Products Only When You Have A Breakout
If you know you’re breakout proneor you have telltale zits at the same time every monthcalling on anti-acne products only as needed is like chasing your tail. “Instead of treating pimples as they appear, it’s more effective to use a gentle product that contains salicylic acid every day,” explains NYC dermatologist Whitney Bowe, M.D.“This helps prevent breakouts on a regular basis.” Bonus: Salicylic acid is an anti-inflammatory ingredient, so it’ll also minimize irritation. Try a daytime lotion infused with it, like OleHenriksen Counter Balance Oil Control Hydrator.
Also Check: Why Am I Getting So Much Acne On My Cheeks
How Does Benzoyl Peroxide Work To Clear Acne
When applied to the skin, benzoyl peroxide targets acne-causing bacteria and soothes inflammation. This makes topical acne treatments with benzoyl peroxide popular as spot treatments, cleansers, and body washes.
Results from using benzoyl peroxide may be seen in as little as 5 days or as long as 3 monthsalthough results can vary! In clinical trials, researchers have noticed that an improvement to acne typically occurs after 3 weeks of using a benzoyl peroxide treatment.
Do Cleansing Brushes Work For Acne
Cleansing brushes can actually help treat acne by helping to eliminate excess sebum, which contributes to acne breakouts. You just have to pick the right one and the right cleanser to go with it. Brushing can irritate the cysts, leading to more irritation and allow more bacteria to enter the pores.
Also Check: How To Stop Chest Acne
How Long Will It Take To See Results
Patience is a virtue, and this adage definitely applies to treating acne. Benzoyl peroxide, like all treatments, takes time to work. You may need to wait eight to 10 weeks, sometimes a bit more before seeing a noticeable improvement in your skin.
As tempting as it may be, don’t slather on more medication, or apply more often than directed. You’ll increase your chances of annoying side effects and it won’t clear up acne any faster.
During this time you’ll still get new breakouts, so don’t fret. Over the course of several weeks, breakouts will slowly become fewer and farther between.
If you’ve used an OTC benzoyl peroxide product for more than 12 weeks and you haven’t had any improvement, it’s time to see a healthcare provider for a prescription medication .
How Should This Medicine Be Used
The combination of clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide comes as a gel to apply to the skin. It is usually applied twice a day, in the morning and evening. To help you remember to use clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide gel, apply it at around the same times every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide gel exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Read Also: What To Do For Baby Acne
Can Benzoyl Peroxide Cause Problems
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. The table below contains some of the most common ones associated with preparations containing benzoyl peroxide. You will find a full list in the manufacturer’s information leaflet supplied with your medicine. The unwanted effects often improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following continue or become troublesome.
|Very common benzoyl peroxide side-effects||What can I do if I experience this?|
|Redness, skin peeling||This can occur when starting treatment, but usually passes after a few days. Until your skin recovers, reduce the frequency of application or the time you leave the preparation on your skin|
|Common benzoyl peroxide side-effects||What can I do if I experience this?|
|Dry skin, itching and irritation||If troublesome, reduce the number of times youuse the preparation, or stop using it altogether for a few days. When your skin has recovered, start using it again, but less frequently|
Important: rarely, benzoyl peroxide may cause blistering of the skin or facial swelling. If this happens, stop using the product and see your doctor or a pharmacist for advice.
If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to the preparation, speak with your doctor or pharmacist for further advice.